Author Topic: Purchases Today  (Read 1792126 times)

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
Re: Purchases Today
« Reply #21400 on: July 20, 2018, 11:13:37 PM »
And more...
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Aristotle.

When we meet real tragedy in life, we can react in two ways - either by losing hope and falling into self-destructive habits, or by using the challenge to find our inner strength.

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
« Reply #21401 on: July 20, 2018, 11:14:25 PM »
 :)
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Aristotle.

When we meet real tragedy in life, we can react in two ways - either by losing hope and falling into self-destructive habits, or by using the challenge to find our inner strength.

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
  • Currently Listening to:
    Still nuts about harpsichord music and exploring Early Music.
« Reply #21402 on: July 20, 2018, 11:52:21 PM »
This is Rüdiger Lotter's ensemble, it sounds good to me. And live -- all the concerts in a single evening,which may give it something.

I'm definitely interested on account of the performers. The live recording makes be a bit apprehensive..... ::)

If I (will ever) have the time, looking into another recording of the Mystery Sonatas is on my list....
High time for an update  after I settled for Andrew Manze many years ago. There have been some high profile new recordings since then!

Q
À chacun son goût.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #21403 on: July 21, 2018, 02:31:02 AM »
Buxtehude

I found this set ( at last ) for a reasonable price. Foccroulle was a bit of a disappointment,a bit dry and I like to have another set .At this moment is Vogel my favorite.

I have that set and I have enjoyed it. I like Saorgin's playing and the various different instruments on display were interesting. I will be interested to read your comments when you eventually get to listen.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
  • sic transit gloria mundi
    • ubu's notizen
  • Currently Listening to:
    all music
« Reply #21404 on: July 21, 2018, 06:58:03 AM »
some recent acquisitions of new/upcoming releases:

The Puente/Jaén is a reissue, originally on a different label

also these, no pics yet:

Caldara - Maddalena ai piedi di Criso (Le Banquet Céleste/Damien Guillon, alpha)

Boccherini - Sonate per il violoncello Vol. 2 (Bruno Cocset/Les Basses Réunies, alpha)

other recent acquisitions:

Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Online Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #21405 on: July 21, 2018, 09:29:47 AM »
Xenakis

Offline GioCar

« Reply #21406 on: July 21, 2018, 11:33:24 PM »
Some purchases to listen to in my approaching summer holidays - 2 weeks to go  :)

Almost no Telemann's sacred works in my CD library (I have the Brockes Passion only, which I find really amazing).
I've found that box at a very good price (32.99 €) on amazon.it.

A new bruckner-a-thon? Why not? The last one was a few years ago, with Tintner...

Online Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #21407 on: July 22, 2018, 02:21:58 AM »
I have that set and I have enjoyed it. I like Saorgin's playing and the various different instruments on display were interesting. I will be interested to read your comments when you eventually get to listen.

Yes,I was looking  a long time for this set. I have the Harald Vogel set wich is very attractive and Foccroulle wich is a bit of lacking spirit ( in my view ).Next week I expect the set from France and I'm looking forward to it. ;)

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #21408 on: July 22, 2018, 02:26:02 AM »
Yes,I was looking  a long time for this set. I have the Harald Vogel set wich is very attractive and Foccroulle wich is a bit of lacking spirit ( in my view ).Next week I expect the set from France and I'm looking forward to it. ;)

Great. Perhaps we can have a short discussion on it when it arrives and you get to listen to it.  :)
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #21409 on: July 22, 2018, 03:22:11 AM »

Halffter was Manuel de Falla’s student. I don’t think I’ve heard his music before.

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
  • La création du monde (Fernand Léger)
« Reply #21410 on: July 22, 2018, 03:38:42 AM »
You’ve chosen an excellent introduction to E. Halffter’s work, André. These were my thoughts when I listened to it about a year ago:

More Ernesto Halffter:

Got this CD recently for the late choral works, which are quite fantastic. Very noble, very serene and even stark at moments; Stravisnky's Symphony of Psalms--with its use of woodwinds--is never too far away from this music, but neither is the "castillian" Manuel de Falla (as opposed to the "Andalusian"), or the whole sound-world of that underrated magnum opus Atlántida. Only in the short Psalm CXVI do we get a more "typical" Spanish sound, but as is often the case with composers who rely on strong popular musical traditions, in Halffter's Spätstil these influences are sublimated (for lack of a better word), become less "in your face" and picturesque, and are ultimately much more effective. The Elegy in Memory of H.S.H. the Prince Pierre de Polignac is propbaly the strongest of the three pieces.

Almsot every time you want to get to know a new work by Ernesto Halffter in CD, you end up getting yet one more version of the early Sinfonietta, so I'm running the risk of getting tired of this (admittedly very nice) piece. But...this is the recording to have, in my opinion. Firstly, the textures of the compsoition are clarified, and the intricate contrapuctual writing is made transparent, thus sounding totally logical (on some other recordings, the feeling that some parts simply "don't hang together" inevitably arises). Also, conductor Víctor Pablo Pérez's phrasing is immaculate, and the work's oscillation (particularly in the first movement) between exuberant joy and tender melancholy (very much in the mold of Pulcinella) is very well managed. Quite an achievement, this Sinfonietta (even more so when one realizes the composer was only 25 years of age when he penned it).

Highty, highly recommended.  :) :) :)

I hope you enjoy the CD as much as I did... :)
Ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
”Sólo lo difícil es estimulante; sólo la resistencia que nos reta, es capaz de enarcar, suscitar y mantener nuestra potencia de conocimiento”.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #21411 on: July 22, 2018, 04:18:10 AM »
Wow, that’s quite an informative post, Ritter, just what I needed !

Scouring the Amazon marketplace I found this ‘new’ for just 3.79$ - about 2,30€. :)

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #21412 on: July 22, 2018, 04:37:19 AM »

Halffter was Manuel de Falla’s student. I don’t think I’ve heard his music before.
You’ve chosen an excellent introduction to E. Halffter’s work, André. These were my thoughts when I listened to it about a year ago:

I hope you enjoy the CD as much as I did... :)
Well, Rafael sold it to me too. I had to pay over twice as much as André, though...  $:)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
« Reply #21413 on: July 22, 2018, 07:34:59 AM »
Well, Rafael sold it to me too. I had to pay over twice as much as André, though...  $:)
The question is then inevitable: did you like it? Was it worth the extravagant financial outlay?  ;)

Good day to you, Karlo:)
Ritter
”Sólo lo difícil es estimulante; sólo la resistencia que nos reta, es capaz de enarcar, suscitar y mantener nuestra potencia de conocimiento”.

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #21414 on: July 22, 2018, 07:52:21 AM »
The question is then inevitable: did you like it? Was it worth the extravagant financial outlay?  ;)

Good day to you, Karlo:)
Good day, Rafael!
I will have to let you know when I receive it. :D
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
« Reply #21415 on: July 22, 2018, 07:57:09 AM »
Good day, Rafael!
I will have to let you know when I receive it. :D
What a cliffhanger!!!  :D

EDIT (TD):

This CD if music by Gilbert Amy is Lon OOP, but I located an affordable used copy on AmazonUK (via an MP seller):

And this reissue of one of the volumes of Bruno Maderna’s series of (then) contemporary music for RCA, which inclxudes the only recording available AFAIK of Nono’s Epitaffio per Federico García Lorca: No 2, “Y su sangre ya viene cantando” was available at Arkiv:

« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 11:31:10 AM by ritter »
Ritter

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #21416 on: July 22, 2018, 06:32:16 PM »

Love the Sinfonietta.  In a similar vein is the Sonatina (an orchestral work despite the title).

Thread duty:

« Last Edit: July 22, 2018, 09:13:31 PM by Daverz »

Online Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #21417 on: July 23, 2018, 11:06:36 AM »
Stockhausen

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
« Reply #21418 on: July 23, 2018, 12:19:17 PM »
At Ludwig Beck in Munich today:

Barrie Kosky’s Bayreuth production of Die Meistersinger, which premiered last year, has just been released on DVD. I’ll be seeing it live in about a month in the Festspielhaus.  :)

I need another recording of Verdi’s Forza like I need a hole in my head, but this was heavily discounted, and I wanted to revisit Callas’s Leonora and Elena Nicolai’s Preziosilla  (I used to have the recording on LP many years ago). Hat tip to Tsaraslondon.
Ritter

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #21419 on: July 24, 2018, 05:38:22 AM »