Author Topic: Purchases Today  (Read 1360767 times)

Papy Oli and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Pat B

• Veteran member
  • A=430
Re: Purchases Today
« Reply #18060 on: July 16, 2017, 05:16:45 PM »
Meeting him was completely unexpected and a definite thrill for this Holmboe-nerd.

Nice!

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #18061 on: July 17, 2017, 03:34:22 AM »
Landed yesterday.  I admit it:  I am mildly amused that there are two different spellings of Mieczysław.

Pleased to find that the Quintet (of which I already had two recordings) is an arrangement for piano, string orchestra . . . & percussion.

Less annoyed 0:) than I thought I might be that, in fact, the first three Chamber Symphonies do indeed consist substantially of reworkings of quartets—“The changes between the Second Quartet and the Chamber Symphony № 1 are minor”; “The [Chamber Symphony № 2] is in large part a transcription of his third sting quartet”; “Three out of four movements of the Chamber Symphony № 3 (1990), are either based on or actual transcriptions from his String Quartet № 5 (composed in June/July 1945).”  They are, after all, the composer’s own work of adaptation, and to be sure, I have yet to firm up my acquaintance of even those few of the quartets which I have already heard.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #18062 on: July 17, 2017, 03:34:45 AM »
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #18063 on: July 17, 2017, 08:01:31 AM »
Spohr: Complete Piano Trios [Beethoven Trio Ravensburg]....

The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Online ritter

• Veteran member
  • Set design for Le Tricorne (Pablo Picasso)
« Reply #18064 on: July 17, 2017, 12:49:54 PM »
I finally located a (used) copy--at an affordable price--of this long OOP CD:

George Enescu conducting Bartók's Music for String, Percussion and Celesta !!!!!!!!! (plus Enesco's Romanian Rhaposdy No. 2, and works by Lipatti).
Ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
« Là, tout n'est qu'ordre et beauté,
   Luxe, calme et volupté ».

Offline Jeffrey Smith

• Veteran member
    • Flickr photostream
« Reply #18065 on: July 17, 2017, 01:11:04 PM »
With deep thanks to Harry

Anyone in the least bit interested in the Prazak set needs to get their keyboard in gear and over at JPC: sale price there in €19.99

Landed today. JPC must put turboboosters on their shipments. Usual travel time for an order out of Europe is 2-3 weeks.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #18066 on: July 17, 2017, 03:59:58 PM »
This whets my appetite ! I'll eagerly watch for the mailman's car tomorrow !  :)

Bought today, delivery in 2 week's time. There were many other prioritary DG, so I had always overlooked this set, which seems to have a good reputation. Omission corrected.

Offline Dancing Divertimentian

• Veteran member
    probably something somebody somewhere is snickering at...wait, Schoenberg! Definitely Schoenberg! (And, let's see, does he have a disciple or two...)...
« Reply #18067 on: July 17, 2017, 04:06:37 PM »
This whets my appetite ! I'll eagerly watch for the mailman's car tomorrow !  :)

Bought today, delivery in 2 week's time. There were many other prioritary DG, so I had always overlooked this set, which seems to have a good reputation. Omission corrected.

Oooo yeah...cream of the crop. Don't miss Fricsay's Figaro and Abduction, either.
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Offline Scarpia

• Veteran member
« Reply #18068 on: July 17, 2017, 08:20:41 PM »
Here's a new one:

Received this set a few days ago. Disc 1 has a label printed on the data side that says "Sorry Print Sample Only" and it does not play. This is a level of stupidity I have never seen from any record label.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2017, 08:33:29 PM by Scarpia »

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #18069 on: July 18, 2017, 03:46:44 AM »
I only infrequently order from BRO.  When I do, I am sometimes a bit whimsical.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #18070 on: July 18, 2017, 03:51:12 AM »
I admit that I found it pointless to resist Vivaldi, JSB, Piazzolla’s Michelangelo, the Polka from Shostakovich’s The Golden Age, Schnittke’s Gogol Suite, and Gershwin, played by domra, bayan & contrabass balalaika.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #18071 on: July 18, 2017, 05:37:39 AM »
Oooo yeah...cream of the crop. Don't miss Fricsay's Figaro and Abduction, either.

After 45 years of Mozart listening, I have come to be hooked only by Don Giovanni, the Abduction (that one only recently) and Magic Flute. The other Mozart operas I now enjoy once in a rare while. For many, many years DG ranked first in my list of operas to take on the desert island. But opera as a genre has somewhat receded in the background in the past decade.

I have Fricsay's Magic Flute (superb), will explore the others eventually. Thanks for the tip!

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #18072 on: July 18, 2017, 07:29:13 AM »
Here's a new one:

Received this set a few days ago. Disc 1 has a label printed on the data side that says "Sorry Print Sample Only" and it does not play. This is a level of stupidity I have never seen from any record label.
What the hell??

Offline Scarpia

• Veteran member
« Reply #18073 on: July 18, 2017, 07:34:54 AM »
What the hell??

Yes. Bizarre. I reported it to the Amazon Marketplace vendor that sold it to me, Classical Music Superstore. They replied inquiring which disc is affected. I'll report how they handle it.

Offline Camphy

« Reply #18074 on: July 18, 2017, 08:15:37 AM »
Hello, back home from my month in Denmark/Germany... and I have more CDs than anything else as mementos.

Will catalogue the classical purchases here in bits and pieces as I work through them. First up: stumbled across in a second-hand shop in Aarhus.

Hello, Orfeo, I guess you had a nice trip to Europe? My question is probably more appropriate in another thread, but I'm curious about your (supposed) attempts at trying to communicate in Danish. How did you do?

Online Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
    Still nuts about harpsichord music and exploring Early Music.
« Reply #18075 on: July 18, 2017, 12:35:11 PM »
Just arrived:

Q
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 12:52:46 PM by Que »
À chacun son goût.

Online ørfeo

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #18076 on: July 18, 2017, 11:12:11 PM »
Hello, Orfeo, I guess you had a nice trip to Europe? My question is probably more appropriate in another thread, but I'm curious about your (supposed) attempts at trying to communicate in Danish. How did you do?

I can't think of any thread that's appropriate.  ;D

Honestly, I've learned the wrong language in some ways because I didn't find anyone in Denmark who didn't speak excellent English. But I learned a few things:

1. I can read Danish advertising like a dream. Short, direct sentences mean that it's all at my reading level.

2. My pronunciation is good enough that people can understand me almost all the time, which made me very happy. I can string together a sentence or two, and a couple of times managed to puzzle people slightly when I switched to English, which made me even MORE happy because it showed it wasn't completely obvious I was an English-speaker dabbling in Danish.

2A. My crowning achievement was telling a hotel receptionist that I had bought some cheese but didn't have anything to cut it with, because she went and fetched a knife.

3. I could understand other people if the context gave me some idea of what they were talking about. If someone just randomly started talking my chances were much lower. It's a damned difficult spoken language.

4. Danes are very prepared to apologise for how damned difficult their spoken language is.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline Harry's corner

• Veteran member
  • So much to listen, so little time...
    • Harry's classical music corner
« Reply #18077 on: July 19, 2017, 06:52:19 AM »
Some titles showed up in my price alarm at JPC de, for a price I wanted, so I ordered them.

You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.

Offline Harry's corner

• Veteran member
  • So much to listen, so little time...
    • Harry's classical music corner
« Reply #18078 on: July 19, 2017, 06:53:12 AM »
And a fifth to the list.

You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do.

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #18079 on: July 19, 2017, 07:27:29 AM »
4. Danes are very prepared to apologise for how damned difficult their spoken language is.

Well, I’m damned if I shall apologize for the difficulties of English!  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK