Author Topic: Purchases Today  (Read 1732371 times)

Online k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
Re: Purchases Today
« Reply #18340 on: September 02, 2017, 03:59:06 AM »
Actually all of the other classical music forums that I have been involved with are much worse.

This forum is actually pretty good.  :)

There is a lot of both thought and mutual respect here  0:)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #18341 on: September 02, 2017, 05:14:43 AM »
Revisiting the Kellers' disc last night, I knew I needed more Kurtág..

"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Rued Langgaard (1893 - 1952)
    Musik fra den himmelske by
« Reply #18342 on: September 02, 2017, 07:45:03 AM »
I’ll eventually have to get that Kurtag set, Karlo.

Just bought:

“I really would like to go to Marmorkirken. It was there that I heard music for the first time, and that experience is like a heavenly vision for me.” - Rued Langgaard

Online ritter

• Veteran member
  • La création du monde (Fernand Léger)
« Reply #18343 on: September 02, 2017, 07:51:27 AM »
Guys, Mirror Image is back in the market. I suggest you pull the trigger on whatever you've been considering to purchase before he drives prices up!  ;D
Ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
”Sólo lo difícil es estimulante; sólo la resistencia que nos reta, es capaz de enarcar, suscitar y mantener nuestra potencia de conocimiento”.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #18344 on: September 02, 2017, 07:54:27 AM »
Guys, Mirror Image is back in the market. I suggest you pull the trigger on whatever you've been considering to purchase before he drives prices up!  ;D

:P I’m hoping to not buy too much, Rafael. I think I’ll limit my classical purchases to two a month. I think at the rate of new releases that are of interest to me this is a pretty fair goal to reach for. :)

September is done. Not sure what I’ll buy in October.
“I really would like to go to Marmorkirken. It was there that I heard music for the first time, and that experience is like a heavenly vision for me.” - Rued Langgaard

Online ritter

• Veteran member
« Reply #18345 on: September 02, 2017, 08:04:09 AM »
:P I’m hoping to not buy too much, Rafael. I think I’ll limit my classical purchases to two a month. I think at the rate of new releases that are of interest to me this is a pretty fair goal to reach for. :)

September is done. Not sure what I’ll buy in October.
Very wise decision, John. I'm in exactly the same position. I've spent exactly 6€ on 3 CDs (used) since the beginning of August, and intend to keep this slow pace for the foreseeable future. Shelf space is beoming a real problem.

But of course, our fellow GMGers tend to lead us down the road of temptation  ;)

Regards,
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 08:16:03 AM by ritter »
Ritter
”Sólo lo difícil es estimulante; sólo la resistencia que nos reta, es capaz de enarcar, suscitar y mantener nuestra potencia de conocimiento”.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #18346 on: September 02, 2017, 08:10:52 AM »
Very wise decision, John. I'm in exactly the same position. I've spent exactly 6€ on 3 CDs (used) since the beginning of August, and intend to keep this slow pace for the foreseeable future. Shelf space is beoming a real problem.

But of course, our fellow GMGers tend to lead us dow the road of temptation  ;)

Regards,

Indeed. The new Rattle/LSO Live Pelleas et Melisande is most definitely a future purchase since it’s going to be released next month. 8)

Online ritter

• Veteran member
« Reply #18347 on: September 02, 2017, 08:16:43 AM »
Indeed. The new Rattle/LSO Live Pelleas et Melisande is most definitely a future purchase since it’s going to be released next month. 8)
Touché!  :D
Ritter

kishnevi

« Reply #18348 on: September 02, 2017, 11:55:33 AM »
Both boxes are excellent value. Artistically I rate them very high!
+1
Yes. Comments here made me want them.  Arkivmusic is having a Glossa sale, and  both sets are priced below the current Amazon price. I just have to hope the "Low stock" status of the Monteverdi doesn't end up being back ordered and then cancelled.  That has happened a time or two before.

I've also got those Dynamic sets of Tartini and Viotti in my cart at JPC but have yet to pull the trigger.

kishnevi

« Reply #18349 on: September 02, 2017, 04:53:16 PM »
As threatened in my previous post

Merci, André

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #18350 on: September 02, 2017, 05:09:15 PM »
I think Jeffrey Smith has me beat in purchases.

kishnevi

« Reply #18351 on: September 02, 2017, 05:25:12 PM »
I think Jeffrey Smith has me beat in purchases.
:D
In fact, I am purchasing a lot less, almost all new releases and sales. Nothing from Amazon...I even deleted my credit card info to deter impulse buys. At one point, I had no recordings unlistened to that were not operas (admittedly, a huge exception). Because of recent purchases, I have a few sets amounting to less than 30 CDs (not counting these two new orders) and am now actually listening to stuff I haven't listened to in years.

I do have a second order at Arkiv waiting in the cart, but it's all new releases.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #18352 on: September 02, 2017, 05:27:53 PM »
:D
In fact, I am purchasing a lot less, almost all new releases and sales. Nothing from Amazon...I even deleted my credit card info to deter impulse buys. At one point, I had no recordings unlistened to that were not operas (admittedly, a huge exception). Because of recent purchases, I have a few sets amounting to less than 30 CDs (not counting these two new orders) and am now actually listening to stuff I haven't listened to in years.

I do have a second order at Arkiv waiting in the cart, but it's all new releases.

I suppose it was my mind that has played tricks on me, but, over the years, you’ve amassed quite a music collection. My own collection is quite narrow and only pertains to the late-19th Century and the 20th Century whereas yours basically encompasses everything under the classical umbrella. :)

kishnevi

« Reply #18353 on: September 02, 2017, 05:45:44 PM »
I suppose it was my mind that has played tricks on me, but, over the years, you’ve amassed quite a music collection. My own collection is quite narrow and only pertains to the late-19th Century and the 20th Century whereas yours basically encompasses everything under the classical umbrella. :)

There's quite a bit I don't have. Some areas are completely unrepresented, and will remain that way.  Italian chamber music of the 19th century, for example.  The most important omission is precisely the area where you are strongest, the last hundred years or so, the last fifty in particular. There's loads I don't have there--no Sculthorpe, no Xenakis,  to pick the first two names  that pop in my head for examples. I aim to fix that eventually, although some composers I've tried who don't work for me, like Feldman, will remain unheard.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #18354 on: September 02, 2017, 06:15:17 PM »
There's quite a bit I don't have. Some areas are completely unrepresented, and will remain that way.  Italian chamber music of the 19th century, for example.  The most important omission is precisely the area where you are strongest, the last hundred years or so, the last fifty in particular. There's loads I don't have there--no Sculthorpe, no Xenakis,  to pick the first two names  that pop in my head for examples. I aim to fix that eventually, although some composers I've tried who don't work for me, like Feldman, will remain unheard.

Yes, some of us have deliberate blindspots. Like I said, you’re much more versed in classical music than I am --- all I really know is what I like and the kinds of sounds I gravitate towards. Admittedly, I’m not a big Feldman fan, but do have a lot of respect for him and I do like Rothko Chapel a lot. Bass Clarinet and Percussion is another work from Feldman that kind of took me by surprised more recently.

Offline Pjotr

• Veteran member
« Reply #18355 on: September 02, 2017, 08:52:23 PM »
Ordered!

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Aristotle.

Offline Pjotr

• Veteran member
« Reply #18356 on: September 02, 2017, 09:02:50 PM »
As threatened in my previous post

Merci, André

Good decision, stock is low. So after seeing you threatening, I thought let's be sensible and order them too, before you know.....
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Aristotle.

Offline GioCar

« Reply #18357 on: September 02, 2017, 09:40:07 PM »

But of course, our fellow GMGers tend to lead us down the road of temptation  ;)

Regards,

But downloads usually are not a problem  ;)

kishnevi

« Reply #18358 on: September 03, 2017, 12:52:21 PM »
I said Xenakis was one of the gaps in my collection. So with Barnes and Noble coupon in digital hand

Chosen with guidance from Alien.

Offline arpeggio

Beveridge Yizkor Requiem
« Reply #18359 on: September 03, 2017, 07:37:46 PM »
Although this recording has been around awhile I picked it up at a second hand CD shop $2.

Now that I am listening to it I regret not acquiring it when it was first released in 2001  :(

« Last Edit: September 04, 2017, 09:49:03 AM by Que »