Author Topic: Purchases Today  (Read 1787676 times)

kishnevi

Re: Purchases Today
« Reply #18420 on: September 11, 2017, 11:53:33 AM »
Ordered last night

and Editorial Reviews
"For me Gyorgy Ligeti is the most important composer of the second half of the 20th century" said the conductor Frieder Bernius about the composer who died in 2006. The underlying composition of this album is a recording of the Requiem with the Kammerchor Stuttgart, recorded in early 2006, which Ligeti himself praised as being "an outstanding interpretation." The Requiem is being issued for the first time together with Ligeti's Lux aeterna which, so to speak, represents, with regard to its content, a "completion," as Ligeti had not set this in his Requiem, even though it is the final sentence of said liturgical text. These two works are supplemented by transcriptions by Clytus Gottwald, the dedicatee of the Lux aeterna, in which he professedly orientates himself according to Ligeti's "microtonality."
The transcribed pieces are by Ravel, Debussy and Mahler.

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #18421 on: September 11, 2017, 11:57:42 AM »
Ordered last night
The transcribed pieces are by Ravel, Debussy and Mahler.

Proper hurricane relief! 8)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Spineur

« Reply #18422 on: September 11, 2017, 12:03:57 PM »
I am curious to know
1) How much longer is it going to take for these CDs to make their way to your home
2) What will you think of

As I am also contemplating this purchase.

kishnevi

« Reply #18423 on: September 11, 2017, 12:09:44 PM »
Proper hurricane relief! 8)

When they get here! The US Postal Service suspended all service in South Florida starting Friday (note: two days before the storm arrived) and has yet to hint at when mail will resume.  So everything I ordered last week is... somewhere.   I guess that motto about "neither rain nor snow,etc." is too 19th century for them.

I am curious to know
1) How much longer is it going to take for these CDs to make their way to your home
2) What will you think of

As I am also contemplating this purchase.

See above. Usually it takes five or six days.  So it depends on the post office. But this CD is a pre-order, to be precise. Release date is this Friday. Hopefully I will have by the end of next week. I'll let you know when I get it.

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #18424 on: September 11, 2017, 12:24:59 PM »
When they get here! The US Postal Service suspended all service in South Florida starting Friday (note: two days before the storm arrived) and has yet to hint at when mail will resume.  So everything I ordered last week is... somewhere.   I guess that motto about "neither rain nor snow,etc." is too 19th century for them.

See above. Usually it takes five or six days.  So it depends on the post office. But this CD is a pre-order, to be precise. Release date is this Friday. Hopefully I will have by the end of next week. I'll let you know when I get it.
Well, and I'm still waiting for these two to arrive. . .

From German Amazon

My photographs on Flickr

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1862 - 1918)
  • Currently Listening to:
    ...Mist floating above the lake...
« Reply #18425 on: September 11, 2017, 12:25:21 PM »
Nice choice with Ligeti’s Requiem, Jeffrey. Really enjoy that work.
“I love music passionately. And because I love it I try to free it from barren traditions that stifle it.” - Claude Debussy

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #18426 on: September 11, 2017, 01:22:29 PM »
I guess that motto about "neither rain nor snow,etc." is too 19th century for them.

I guess that either that motto never, in practice, applied to colossal hurricanes, or alternatively it applied before weather forecasting was a thing and a few postmen lost their lives in an effort to get the post through to customers who were more concerned about parcels than their fellow human beings.

But then, putting property ahead of life is rather 19th century.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

kishnevi

« Reply #18427 on: September 11, 2017, 04:02:39 PM »
I guess that either that motto never, in practice, applied to colossal hurricanes, or alternatively it applied before weather forecasting was a thing and a few postmen lost their lives in an effort to get the post through to customers who were more concerned about parcels than their fellow human beings.

But then, putting property ahead of life is rather 19th century.

There was no obvious reason to not deliver on Friday and not open retail post offices for at least part of the day.  The bad weather didn't  start until  late Saturday afternoon.

Florida lore includes btw the "barefoot mailman" who did part of the route to Miami on foot c.1900.
Well, and I'm still waiting for these two to arrive. . .

There was a hurricane by you last month?

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #18428 on: September 11, 2017, 04:17:03 PM »
There was a hurricane by you last month?
Lets just say that sometimes it takes a while for mail to arrive here. I don't think hurricanes are the reason for this. I did see a picture of Irma over Germany a few days ago though, so maybe that was it.   ;D

My photographs on Flickr

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #18429 on: September 11, 2017, 05:38:59 PM »

Some bargain basement shopping.  Every title was $5.23 or less.  I'll see if I receive them all.
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Parsifal

« Reply #18430 on: September 11, 2017, 07:36:05 PM »
There was no obvious reason to not deliver on Friday and not open retail post offices for at least part of the day.  The bad weather didn't  start until  late Saturday afternoon.

An obvious reason might be that the personnel of the postal service were diverted to the task of securing facilities in anticipation of flooding.

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #18431 on: September 11, 2017, 10:39:06 PM »

I'm quite surprised you didn't have it already. It's  an excellent set. I can hardly wait for your reviews.
"The score is not a bible, and I am never afraid to dare. The music is behind those dots." - Vladimir Horowitz

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #18432 on: September 12, 2017, 12:42:27 AM »

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #18433 on: September 12, 2017, 03:07:30 AM »
An obvious reason might be that the personnel of the postal service were diverted to the task of securing facilities in anticipation of flooding.

Quite. No doubt there was also no obvious reason for buying food and fuel on Friday, except for an awareness that it was going to be too late to do those things once the weather was bad.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #18434 on: September 12, 2017, 04:52:25 AM »
I'm quite surprised you didn't have it already. It's  an excellent set. I can hardly wait for your reviews.

I always meant to buy it, but LvB symphony cycles have not been a priority for years now.  Confession time: I also don't own a physical copy of Fluffy's '63 cycle.
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #18435 on: September 12, 2017, 06:44:55 AM »
CPE Bach Chamber Music for Clarinet....

I felt the lure of this one  :)
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
    Still nuts about harpsichord music and exploring Early Music.
« Reply #18436 on: September 12, 2017, 07:09:42 AM »
CPE Bach Chamber Music for Clarinet....

I felt the lure of this one  :)

If that's on period instruments, I'd love to hear your impressions.  :)

Q
À chacun son goût.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #18437 on: September 12, 2017, 07:19:18 AM »
If that's on period instruments, I'd love to hear your impressions.  :)

Q

It is and will do  ;)  :)
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

kishnevi

« Reply #18438 on: September 12, 2017, 10:07:56 AM »

And they could have mitigated the risk of losses due to flooding of their own facilities by delivering the mail they had on hand Friday morning. Instead they ceased operations Thursday at the close of business. That's a full 48 hours before strong weather started.

But my annoyance with them was considerably abated today, because they resumed delivery today, which was the earliest possible time. I wasn't actually expecting them to do it before tomorrow: there's still plenty of debris on the road, power out in plenty of places, etc.

Which to stay relevant to the thread meant I got the Xenakis string quartet CD and the Venexiana Arte del Madrigal set.

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
« Reply #18439 on: September 12, 2017, 09:24:04 PM »
These monsters came in yesterday 39 CD in all! :laugh:

It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
Aristotle.

When we meet real tragedy in life, we can react in two ways - either by losing hope and falling into self-destructive habits, or by using the challenge to find our inner strength.