Author Topic: Purchases Today  (Read 1789239 times)

k a rl h e nn i ng and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Moonfish

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Timeless soundscapes...
Re: Purchases Today
« Reply #21060 on: May 27, 2018, 07:46:37 AM »
From German Amazon

Very exciting! Go French Baroque!!!!    :)
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Offline Moonfish

• Veteran member
    Timeless soundscapes...
« Reply #21061 on: May 27, 2018, 07:47:49 AM »

I’m glad I didn’t buy it when it was offered as a pre-order. The price dropped since it was issued last week. I already have the Beethovens an Bruckners, but the rest will come in handy.

Nice! Where did you get it from? The price seems steady here in the US...   :'(
« Last Edit: May 27, 2018, 08:06:11 AM by Moonfish »
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #21062 on: May 27, 2018, 08:00:23 AM »
Very exciting! Go French Baroque!!!!    :)
Yep, this seemed like a perfect filler to my collection, as it's rather thin on French Baroque.

This deserves a serious table-pounding.
Yes, quite expensive sets indeed. I only own the Holmboe as a set, but I bought the Tubin BIS series individually because of the extra works that included on many of them.
Thanks for the support, lads.  0:)
Interesting: high on my Wish List.
I'll report later 8)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #21063 on: May 27, 2018, 08:11:02 AM »
I'll report later 8)

Thank you; I would appreciate that  :)
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #21064 on: May 27, 2018, 08:17:47 AM »
Yes, quite expensive sets indeed. I only own the Holmboe as a set, but I bought the Tubin BIS series individually because of the extra works that included on many of them.

OH, HELL, you didn't just make me a.) regret to have bought that set and/or b.) made me curious to buy the individual CDs instead, now.  ;D

Offline Moonfish

• Veteran member
    Timeless soundscapes...
« Reply #21065 on: May 27, 2018, 08:24:57 AM »
Yep, this seemed like a perfect filler to my collection, as it's rather thin on French Baroque.

This is a great one if you wish to swim in French Baroque music...  :P

Anna Lappé

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #21066 on: May 27, 2018, 08:43:05 AM »
This is a great one if you wish to swim in French Baroque music...  :P
Oh yes, I missed the boat on that set. It seems to be available used for a reasonable price, but I'm in no hurry to get it now ;)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1862 - 1918)
    ...Mist floating above the lake...
« Reply #21067 on: May 27, 2018, 08:55:16 AM »
OH, HELL, you didn't just make me a.) regret to have bought that set and/or b.) made me curious to buy the individual CDs instead, now.  ;D

:P
“I love music passionately. And because I love it I try to free it from barren traditions that stifle it.” - Claude Debussy

Offline Moonfish

• Veteran member
    Timeless soundscapes...
« Reply #21068 on: May 27, 2018, 12:20:11 PM »
Anna Lappé

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #21069 on: May 27, 2018, 12:26:56 PM »

Nice! Where did you get it from? The price seems steady here in the US...   :'(

Rarewaves, an Amazon.ca supplier. 65$CAD, shipping included.

Offline Mr. Minnow

« Reply #21070 on: May 27, 2018, 02:23:37 PM »

Undersea

« Reply #21071 on: May 27, 2018, 02:51:21 PM »
I'm surprised I've not written about it more, except in passing. To my ears, it is the most satisfying Mendelssohn-cycle there is, just ahead of Karajan (whom, incidentally, I don't find heavy in this repertoire). While it's a big orchestra for Dohnanyi, he, too, keeps matters classical in texture... but romantic in gesture. Most importantly, it is expressive and rhythmically incisive... there is a propelling element, not reliant on speed but coherence. It shines most obviously in the underrated but grand 2nd symphony, which is difficult to pull off. (Bernius does, but in a much lighter way: http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2009/12/best-recordings-of-2009-4.html) So does Jan Willem de Vriend, but he with greater heft. (See: Dip your Ears 159: http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2013/10/dip-your-ears-no-159-praise-for.html)

It was only very briefly out of print as a set while Abbado (of which I am not a fan in these works, to put it very mildly) was considered the obvious go-to-choice. Fortunately it came back quickly and has been even more warmly received upon its return to the fold.

Here's a decent MWeb review: http://www.musicweb-international.com/classrev/2010/Nov10/Mendelssohn_4782366.htm
Oh, and here's Hurwitz, who feels identical as I do about it: https://www.classicstoday.com/review/reference-recording-the-best-deal-for-mendelssohn-symphonies/

Thanks for your post, it's very helpful - I expect I will enjoy the cycle with the VPO!. :)

Offline Alek Hidell

Jazz and classical
« Reply #21072 on: May 27, 2018, 04:33:47 PM »
I keep trying on this one:

First I tried to get it from Arkivmusic (I think it was - it's been so many weeks ago now ::)), then from HBDirect. After a wait - supposedly it was on "back order" - both canceled on me. So I'm trying a third time, this time from a Belgian store. This time may be the charm: I got an email saying that the status is "Expédié." It was more expensive this time around, but still not bad for 18 CDs.

I recall that André also ordered this from Arkivmusic, based on the good price I reported I was getting. So, André, please accept my apologies if I steered you wrong and you too never got the box. :( :-[
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Offline Traverso

« Reply #21073 on: May 27, 2018, 10:47:07 PM »
 Fine music for wind ensemble.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #21074 on: May 27, 2018, 11:26:36 PM »
I keep trying on this one:

First I tried to get it from Arkivmusic (I think it was - it's been so many weeks ago now ::)), then from HBDirect. After a wait - supposedly it was on "back order" - both canceled on me. So I'm trying a third time, this time from a Belgian store. This time may be the charm: I got an email saying that the status is "Expédié." It was more expensive this time around, but still not bad for 18 CDs.

I recall that André also ordered this from Arkivmusic, based on the good price I reported I was getting. So, André, please accept my apologies if I steered you wrong and you too never got the box. :( :-[

:D It was canceled on me, too. But that’s no big deal. When something like this happens I always think « more money in my pocket »  ;)

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #21075 on: May 28, 2018, 01:01:24 AM »

Still deciding whether to pursue the separate releases for the non-Symphonic works. Re-listening to those works online is on my (long-term as always) to-do list. Because I know I want the symphonies.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #21076 on: May 28, 2018, 05:16:06 AM »
Still deciding whether to pursue the separate releases for the non-Symphonic works. Re-listening to those works online is on my (long-term as always) to-do list. Because I know I want the symphonies.

Works like the Piano Concertino, Sinfonietta on Estonian Motifs, and Music For Strings really are value added I must say. The Tubin symphony set does contain the ballet suite from Kratt, which is good fun. There are also two miscellaneous orchestral works discs in the BIS series:

“I love music passionately. And because I love it I try to free it from barren traditions that stifle it.” - Claude Debussy

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #21077 on: May 28, 2018, 07:28:51 AM »

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #21078 on: May 28, 2018, 08:23:15 AM »
Just bought:

« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 10:52:20 AM by Mirror Image »

Offline Judith

Love most composers but especially Brahms & Schumann
« Reply #21079 on: May 28, 2018, 09:11:53 AM »
Just bought today
Spohr
Symphonies 3 and 6 on Naxos label

Alfred Walter
Slovak State Philharmonic Orchestra

Not a composer I'm familiar with but open to a challenge