Author Topic: Purchases Today  (Read 1889852 times)

Offline André

• Veteran member
Re: Purchases Today
« Reply #22220 on: November 08, 2018, 09:55:31 AM »

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #22221 on: November 08, 2018, 09:59:35 AM »
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #22222 on: November 08, 2018, 10:08:51 AM »
A great CD!

Glad to hear that! Practically everything on it will be new territory for me. Speaking in the 1950s, conductor Charles Munch held Honegger as the greatest living composer and Le chant de Nigamon was a particular favourite.

Offline shirime

« Reply #22223 on: November 09, 2018, 12:22:46 PM »
Some more electronic stuff. I realised the Gottfried Michael Koenig CDs I have were volumes 1 & 2 of a series but got to 8 & 9 before finding any samples that really grabbed me.

To get free postage added this which does have some choirs and a mass in the latter parts.

This one is really good! I like his music, it's a bit more on the synth side to what I usually prefer but Dhomont does it really well.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #22224 on: November 09, 2018, 01:04:54 PM »

The d minor requiem for male chorus and orchestra, coupled with one of his cantatas.

Online aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #22225 on: November 10, 2018, 03:14:20 AM »
Stanford: Evening Services and Anthems [Cleobury]

The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline Ghost of Baron Scarpia

« Reply #22226 on: November 10, 2018, 03:33:09 PM »
Now it seems inevitable that this would happen.

The Giant Szell Box.

It was more than $300 and I was holding up well. Yesterday it dropped to $132, for 104 discs, about $1.27 per disc. And I have almost no Szell.

Offline arpeggio

« Reply #22227 on: November 10, 2018, 07:14:10 PM »
New composer that is so so.

I just purchased the following recording of a new composer for me, John Robertson.  He is a Canadian composer who is originally from New Zealand.  His music is not bad but for me it is only 6 on a scale of 1 to 10.

I can see that many of you may like his music more that I do.  Check it out on YouTube and see for yourselves.

After listening to if a few times I am upgrading to an eight.

Offline Irons

« Reply #22228 on: November 11, 2018, 07:10:03 AM »
I am expecting delivery of this tomorrow.

Offline milk

• Veteran member
« Reply #22229 on: November 11, 2018, 09:03:40 PM »
I am expecting delivery of this tomorrow.

I had to look that guy up. What a intense life!!!!

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
  • sic transit gloria mundi
    • ubu's notizen
  • Currently Listening to:
    all music
« Reply #22230 on: November 12, 2018, 01:13:07 AM »
some big suckers lately:

also this one - yowzah, finally!  ;D

still waiting for these (I know, off-topic, but aren't we all music lovers around here?):

The White Album set seems to be terrific, the Hendrix much less so, but I'm still curious enough to get it ...

Back on topic:

These are still on their way (I hope):

Then, also got this one (and decided there's no need to get the Massenet box):

Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Offline Wanderer

• Veteran member
  • Quo non ascendam?
    • Il faut regarder la vie en farce
« Reply #22231 on: November 12, 2018, 04:04:49 AM »

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
  • sic transit gloria mundi
    • ubu's notizen
  • Currently Listening to:
    all music
« Reply #22232 on: November 12, 2018, 04:54:35 AM »
I wondered about the Trifonov ... nice cover, but I kinda cooled a bit (his Liszt album is probably my favourite so far, the Chopin I need to revisit sometime soon though).
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Offline Wanderer

• Veteran member
  • Quo non ascendam?
    • Il faut regarder la vie en farce
« Reply #22233 on: November 12, 2018, 05:29:52 AM »
I wondered about the Trifonov ... nice cover, but I kinda cooled a bit (his Liszt album is probably my favourite so far, the Chopin I need to revisit sometime soon though).

I don't endorse all those hyperbolic accolades Trifonov has so far garnered in reviews. In my view, his Liszt album was OK, not exceptional and the Chopin concerti disc a disaster - although his pianism there was very beautiful and poetic and the best part of the album. I've streamed this new one quite a bit since it got released to conclude that his rendition of the Fourth concerto (so eye-rollingly often an afterthought in the discography of those wanting to record "the cycle") is engaging, both reflective and explosive and, in general, quite masterfully done. He treats it with the respect it deserves, more like a dark-hued Third than a weird First, and of course the pianism is beyond reproach. A proper listen once the disc arrives will undoubtedly reveal more nuances.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #22234 on: November 12, 2018, 06:00:58 AM »

Offline Irons

« Reply #22235 on: November 12, 2018, 07:58:45 AM »
I had to look that guy up. What a intense life!!!!

;D Goossens, one of the finest conductor/composer (in that order) was destroyed by what was discovered in his suitcase. Today it would barely cause a ripple. How times have changed!

Offline Roasted Swan

« Reply #22236 on: November 12, 2018, 08:38:23 AM »
Today it would barely cause a ripple. How times have changed!

Today he'd be elected President!   There are some good recordings of his orchestral music on Chandos and a set from Tod Handley and various Australian orchestras.  They are persuasive advocates all but you'd be hard pressed to argue he's a major "missing" composer.

Online aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #22237 on: November 12, 2018, 09:40:58 AM »
A Pale Yellow Sky

The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #22238 on: November 12, 2018, 12:31:11 PM »
Now it seems inevitable that this would happen.

The Giant Szell Box.

It was more than $300 and I was holding up well. Yesterday it dropped to $132, for 104 discs, about $1.27 per disc. And I have almost no Szell.
I got the Szell box at $160. I am surprised not to connect to his Beethoven at all (aside from the overture to König Stephan), but the other stuff I've listened to so far - Dvorak 7 & 8, Walton 2, Firebird, Rossini overtures, Mozart concertos with Robert Casadesus, literally anything involving Haydn, Brahms 3, a Kodaly/Prokofiev twin bill - has been very good to elite. Note that the early mono Dvorak Slavonic Dances "arranged by" Szell are identical to the ones you've been hearing all your life, and not at all arranged by him, so far as I can tell.

If you don't know the Szell Haydn, I hope you're as bewitched by it as Sarge and I are. (The way he teases the opening of No. 92 always sends me to a happy place.)

Offline Ghost of Baron Scarpia

« Reply #22239 on: November 12, 2018, 12:41:06 PM »
I got the Szell box at $160. I am surprised not to connect to his Beethoven at all (aside from the overture to König Stephan), but the other stuff I've listened to so far - Dvorak 7 & 8, Walton 2, Firebird, Rossini overtures, Mozart concertos with Robert Casadesus, literally anything involving Haydn, Brahms 3, a Kodaly/Prokofiev twin bill - has been very good to elite. Note that the early mono Dvorak Slavonic Dances "arranged by" Szell are identical to the ones you've been hearing all your life, and not at all arranged by him, so far as I can tell.

If you don't know the Szell Haydn, I hope you're as bewitched by it as Sarge and I are. (The way he teases the opening of No. 92 always sends me to a happy place.)

It will be new territory. I started listening to classical in the LP era and was repelled by low quality Columbia Records vinyl and I never got over this impression even in the CD era. The only Szell I can think of in my collection is a Decca recording of Sibelius 2 (which is superb).

Come to think of it, the only gargantuan box I feel I should have and I don't is Reiner. But that one is out of print and I ain't paying $700 for a used copy.

Correction: I have a Szell/Mozart original covers box.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 12:44:08 PM by Ghost of Baron Scarpia »

Don't Like These Ads? Become a GMG Subscriber!
For as little as 14 cents per day, subscribers get no advertising on the forum, a larger Inbox for your PM's, and a warm glow of knowing you are supporting the forum. All this and a groovy Subscriber badge too!
Click here to read more.