Author Topic: Purchases Today  (Read 1917619 times)

Offline Ghost of Baron Scarpia

Re: Purchases Today
« Reply #22380 on: December 06, 2018, 07:20:25 AM »
Markevitch was extensively recorded, but not always given the best technical conditions. Some of his best recordings emanate from DGG, but he also worked for EMI, Melodiya etc.

EMI has a big 18 cd box in its Icon series. What exactly is missing from the DGG box ?

I have the EMI Box as well, which includes some fine stuff.

As far as the DGG Box, there are recordings of Rimsky Korsakov tone poems and Berlioz Sinfonie Fantastique which have been released separately, and the box only has 2 of the Beethoven Symphonies (3rd and 6th), he recorded others (though not a complete cycle). A complete box could include the Philips recordings as well. I am not aware of a comprehensive discography so I don't have a list of what else is out there.

I am especially interested in his Lamoreaux recordings.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #22381 on: December 06, 2018, 07:29:37 AM »
It's true, not all his Beethoven is there. The internet shows me this, which I’ve never seen anywhere:

I have his Lamoureux 5 and 8, sizzling hot performances both. And the 3rd concerto as well (Haskil).

« Reply #22382 on: December 06, 2018, 07:35:09 AM »
The 9 CD Original Masters set I ordered has a fair bit of fluff, as usual in that series, but it has a substantial amount of Brahms, all of which sounds fantastic in the samples, and some other substantial things (La Mer, some Mozart, etc). I was looking at the cost of downloading what I liked piecemeal and it added up almost to the price of the box.

I think that Beethoven disc is release by an Asian subsidiary that never made it to Europe or North America.

Offline Mr. Minnow

« Reply #22383 on: December 06, 2018, 08:09:52 AM »
The second CD from the Sollazzo Ensemble, which will hopefully be as good as their first, Parle Qui Veut:

Having given up on finding Ayarra's complete Arauxo, I gave in to temptation and decided to get the only alternative complete set:

Opinions on this one seem to be quite mixed, though there was a comment on here describing Bates as situating Arauxo in the tradition of Sweelinck and Philips, which sounds interesting. In any case, as complete sets go it's this or nothing, given the unavailability of Ayarra's set.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #22384 on: December 06, 2018, 08:22:18 AM »
The second CD from the Sollazzo Ensemble, which will hopefully be as good as their first, Parle Qui Veut:

[/img]

Excellent! I always thought that Parle qui veut was the first!
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Draško

« Reply #22385 on: December 06, 2018, 09:30:03 AM »
As far as the DGG Box, there are recordings of Rimsky Korsakov tone poems and Berlioz Sinfonie Fantastique which have been released separately, and the box only has 2 of the Beethoven Symphonies (3rd and 6th), he recorded others (though not a complete cycle). A complete box could include the Philips recordings as well. I am not aware of a comprehensive discography so I don't have a list of what else is out there.

DG Veritable Artiste box is mainly DG stuff that was not released previously on DG (in the Originals or Sprache series mostly). Missing is Berlioz Sinfonie Fantastique x2, Damnation of Faust/Harold, then Berwald/Schubert 4, Milhaud/Roussel/Honegger, Rimsky-Korsakov/Various Russian stuff, Gounod Mass, Cherubini/Mozart Masses, Mussorgsky Pictures, Haydn Creation, Stravinsky Symphony of Psalms... maybe something more.

Of Beethoven only 3, 6 and overtures were originally on DG, rest was on Philips. The big DG/Philips box is really overdue.   

Veritable Artiste box highlights for me are all of the Brahms, particularly the 4th and Wagner overtures.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #22386 on: December 06, 2018, 09:36:50 AM »
On The Nature of Electricity & Acoustics

The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

« Reply #22387 on: December 06, 2018, 09:41:28 AM »
DG Veritable Artiste box is mainly DG stuff that was not released previously on DG (in the Originals or Sprache series mostly). Missing is Berlioz Sinfonie Fantastique x2, Damnation of Faust/Harold, then Berwald/Schubert 4, Milhaud/Roussel/Honegger, Rimsky-Korsakov/Various Russian stuff, Gounod Mass, Cherubini/Mozart Masses, Mussorgsky Pictures, Haydn Creation, Stravinsky Symphony of Psalms... maybe something more.

Of Beethoven only 3, 6 and overtures were originally on DG, rest was on Philips. The big DG/Philips box is really overdue.   

Veritable Artiste box highlights for me are all of the Brahms, particularly the 4th and Wagner overtures.

The Brahms, Wagner and Debussy were the main motivators for me.

I have the DG originals releases of Rimsky-Korsakov, Berlioz and Honegger. The vocal music doesn't interest me. It appears what I am missing are various Philips recordings (although I have the Tchaikovsky Symphonies).

If Australian Eloquence would go into Markevitch I could fill in the gaps in my collection. But I would have preferred a complete edition because I find that often the recordings I am not motivated to buy as individuals turn out to be the most interesting.

Offline Draško

« Reply #22388 on: December 06, 2018, 10:03:26 AM »
The Brahms, Wagner and Debussy were the main motivators for me.

All three are excellent.

It appears what I am missing are various Philips recordings (although I have the Tchaikovsky Symphonies).

That would be the rest of Beethoven symphonies, couple of Haydn symphonies (103, 104), couple of discs with Clara Haskil, couple of discs of Stravinsky (psalms, soldat, apollo, some shorter bits), some more Rimsky (Scheherezade, Capriccio, Easter ov.), Bizet suites, and I vaguely recall a disc of Spanish music with some Spanish orchestra.

edit: Verdi - overtures and Requiem
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 10:10:33 AM by Draško »

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
Re: Purchases Today: Theodore Dubois Violin Concerto
« Reply #22389 on: December 06, 2018, 10:21:49 AM »
Theodore Dubois: Violin Concerto, Sonata for Violin and Piano, Ballad for Violin and Piano

I will be listening this afternoon!  The church music of Dubois has always been a favorite.

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Offline Traverso

• Veteran member
« Reply #22390 on: December 06, 2018, 01:03:28 PM »
Filling in the blanks in my Van Nevel collection:

Q

Filling a big hole with this one. :)

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #22391 on: December 06, 2018, 02:20:59 PM »
The 9 CD Original Masters set I ordered has a fair bit of fluff, as usual in that series, but it has a substantial amount of Brahms, all of which sounds fantastic in the samples, and some other substantial things (La Mer, some Mozart, etc). I was looking at the cost of downloading what I liked piecemeal and it added up almost to the price of the box.

I think that Beethoven disc is release by an Asian subsidiary that never made it to Europe or North America.

I think only LvB 3,6 and ouvertures were DG. The 5,8 and 9 are Philips but they might have appeared as Decca as well. I think 5 and 8 are the best, the 9th is somewhat disappointing. I have not heard the 1st, which was on CD with Haydn 103 and 104 (I have never found it at a price I was willing to pay.
The Berwald and Schubert is worthwhile although they are all very much on the lean side, sometimes too driven (and the dry mono does not help). The Mozart in the DG box is very good (although the minuet does not fit in the nr 34)

Aussie eloquence has the Creation (and there is an older one on a French twofer). The symphony of Psalms was on a philips twofer with Davis in the other symphonies. Histoire du soldat is a classic recording of the piece.
I think some of the "bonbons" (Bizet, Chabrier etc.) were at least partly on a very cheap Philips (music for millions or whatever) series. I don't have it.
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

« Reply #22392 on: December 06, 2018, 02:36:37 PM »
I think only LvB 3,6 and ouvertures were DG. The 5,8 and 9 are Philips but they might have appeared as Decca as well. I think 5 and 8 are the best, the 9th is somewhat disappointing. I have not heard the 1st, which was on CD with Haydn 103 and 104 (I have never found it at a price I was willing to pay.
The Berwald and Schubert is worthwhile although they are all very much on the lean side, sometimes too driven (and the dry mono does not help). The Mozart in the DG box is very good (although the minuet does not fit in the nr 34)

Aussie eloquence has the Creation (and there is an older one on a French twofer). The symphony of Psalms was on a philips twofer with Davis in the other symphonies. Histoire du soldat is a classic recording of the piece.
I think some of the "bonbons" (Bizet, Chabrier etc.) were at least partly on a very cheap Philips (music for millions or whatever) series. I don't have it.

Aha! I have the "Psalms" on that Philips 2fer (I'd forgotten about that). Philips also snuck in the Stravinsky Apollo Musagete on a 2few with mostly Haitink recordings. I'll have to look for that. At this point, my goal is to collect a few remaining recordings of things I like. There are two Berlioz Symphonie Fantastiques (mono and stereo) and a Harold in Italie. And the Histoire du soldat you mention. A manageable set of recordings.

The only recording mentioned that I've not been able to locate either as a reasonably priced disc (new or used) or a lossless download is the Philips Beethoven.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 02:39:05 PM by Ghost of Baron Scarpia »

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #22393 on: December 06, 2018, 04:01:27 PM »
I have the Verdi Requiem as a download. Fantastic performance, very variable sound - but who knows what’s in the original tapes? Anybody heard a good-sounding cd incarnation of it ?

Offline 2dogs

• Currently Listening to:
    Avant garde, musique concrete & elektronische klang
« Reply #22394 on: December 06, 2018, 10:29:27 PM »
On The Nature of Electricity & Acoustics

That looks interesting :).

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #22395 on: December 07, 2018, 12:34:32 AM »
Aha! I have the "Psalms" on that Philips 2fer (I'd forgotten about that). Philips also snuck in the Stravinsky Apollo Musagete on a 2few with mostly Haitink recordings. I'll have to look for that. At this point, my goal is to collect a few remaining recordings of things I like. There are two Berlioz Symphonie Fantastiques (mono and stereo) and a Harold in Italie. And the Histoire du soldat you mention. A manageable set of recordings.

The only recording mentioned that I've not been able to locate either as a reasonably priced disc (new or used) or a lossless download is the Philips Beethoven.
I wasn't even aware of the Apollon. The EMI stuff is probably covered by the EMI/warner box although some of it had been on Testament single discs earlier on. I have not heard the Harold as it is now the coupling of Faust and I already have an older cheapo issue of the Faust (which is a favorite, although very slightly abridged to fit on two LPs, I guess). Not aware of any other issue of this Harold. The mono Fantastique was on "Musik- Sprache der Welt", I believe. I have it on a series called "centenary collection" that came out around 1998. The stereo Fantastique is on originals.

The Cocteau Soldat seems to be findable:
ASIN: B00000E3LA

NB there is also a Manfred (and at least one Francesca), unfortunately not included in all issues of PIT's symphonies. As you know there is an older Pathetique and Francesca in the DG box. The Wagner chunks from that box I also liked a lot for some reason. Definitely one of the best of these boxes, although probably even more back then when with hardly any downloads etc. a lot of it was otherwise introuvable.

(Bob Dylan)

Offline Draško

« Reply #22396 on: December 07, 2018, 03:36:51 AM »
I have the Verdi Requiem as a download. Fantastic performance, very variable sound - but who knows what’s in the original tapes? Anybody heard a good-sounding cd incarnation of it ?

There seem to be two current CD releases, Urania and ICA. I haven't heard either.

ICA is generally more reliable label, but the claim of 'ambient mastering' raises a red flag. I dislike fake reverb.

Clips of both can be sampled:
https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8006395--verdi-requiem
https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8436701--verdi-messa-da-requiem-mussorgsky-6-songs

There was also Philips Japan release, quite likely preferable to both of the above, but no longer available.

Offline Draško

« Reply #22397 on: December 07, 2018, 03:43:28 AM »

Those were released by Decca in France, on 3 separate CDs, budget priced. Out of print now, but 5/8 disc can be found used for reasonable price (and I agree it being the best of Markevitch Beethoven).

https://www.amazon.fr/Beethoven-Symphonies-Nos-5-8/dp/B00004VL54
https://www.amazon.fr/Beethoven-Symphonie-op-125-joie/dp/B00004VL06
https://www.amazon.fr/Haydn-Symphonies-Nos-103-Symphonie/dp/B00004VL09

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #22398 on: December 07, 2018, 04:27:39 AM »
Thanks for the links. I still haven't given up the hope for an affordable copy of LvB 1 + Haydn 103/104. No way in hell am I paying full price for a used copy of a budget issue.

The problem is that I was a broke student and not a sufficiently avid collector in the late 1990s. Otherwise I'd have bought it. I think I bought the Fricsay Dvorak/Smetana from the same series when I visited a friend in Paris in 2000. I also have the 5,8 and 9, probably bought a few years later on Ebay.
(If someone in Europe wants the 9th, I'd certainly make them a better price than 28 Euros. But as I wrote above, I found it the weakest of his Beethoven recordings)
(Bob Dylan)

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #22399 on: December 07, 2018, 04:43:30 AM »
There seem to be two current CD releases, Urania and ICA. I haven't heard either.

ICA is generally more reliable label, but the claim of 'ambient mastering' raises a red flag. I dislike fake reverb.

Clips of both can be sampled:
https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8006395--verdi-requiem
https://www.prestomusic.com/classical/products/8436701--verdi-messa-da-requiem-mussorgsky-6-songs

There was also Philips Japan release, quite likely preferable to both of the above, but no longer available.
It is often hard to figure these things out. But based on comments at Amazon and other places, there were two recordings from Markevitch in 1960 - one live and one studio. It seems the Parliament recording was the one that was issued and later picked up by Phillips. The ICA seems to be the live recording made in Moscow prior to the studio recording made later (that from ICA site). The site also refers to the ambient stuff only with the Rossini from the disc, so not clear if that applies to the Verdi. I have the ICA somewhere and if I can find it, I will check the booklet.

There is also a 1963 live recording floating around (with Schwarzkopf and Orchestre National de la RTF), but I cannot vouch for the quality of that one.

EDIT: I should mention that the ICA recording has a bit of hiss and that is irritating at the beginning, but as the performance is quite good in general (and quite fiery), I found it easiery to ignore than in many performances. But it is definitely there, so for me not a first recommendation for that aspect.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 05:02:13 AM by mc ukrneal »
Be kind to your fellow posters!!