Author Topic: Purchases Today  (Read 1998425 times)

Offline shirime

Re: Purchases Today
« Reply #22600 on: January 11, 2019, 12:43:42 AM »

I just realised I’ll most likely get ALL of the Wagner recordings by Boulez from Opera Depot..........

Screw it; i got another one

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
  • Raoul Dufy: La Danse (1910)
« Reply #22601 on: January 11, 2019, 01:32:57 AM »
Screw it; i got another one

Nice purchases, jessop! You’ll be having a really comprehensive overview of Boulez’s Wagner.

Regarding that Tristan, the year on the cover is wrong: it’s from a tour of the Bayreuth Festival to Japan—with a local orchestra—in 1967, not 1969. It’s the only time Boulez conducted the whole opera AFAIK. It’s also available on video (in b&w—which is a pity, as colour was central to Wieland Wagner’s staging—, and in poor quality).Here it is:

<a href="https://youtu.be/McoRns-aWQQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://youtu.be/McoRns-aWQQ</a>

Along with a Walküre from the same tour, conducted by Thomas Schippers (also on YouTube) this is the only complete filmed document of a staging by Wieland.

It’s a real shame Boulez was never invited to conduct Meistersinger on the Green Hill, as he publicly stated he would have wished. Instead, we got the late performances of Parsifal in 2004 and 2005 (almost 40 years after his debut in Bayreuth), which are also available on some of these bootleg labels. A friend of mine attended Boulez’s last performance ever of the opera at the festival, and says the farewell ovation was thunderous and emotional. I envy him!  :)
Ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
« Et avec le fer de sa houe il cassa la glace
De la source ou jadis riaient les naïades... »

Offline shirime

« Reply #22602 on: January 11, 2019, 02:41:59 AM »
I’m aware of the year being wrong, and I’ve seen that video many time actually! Bit sad about the cut in act 2 and honestly I’m not sure why there are performances that make that cut or point of making that cut in the first place....

Yes, I wish Boulez got around to conducting Meistersinger as well (and Don Giovanni as I believe he wanted to conduct that one too) but for a musician so devoted to making music in more ways than just conducting I am quite happy with what we have! Down the track I’d be getting the 1976 Ring as well...and maybe another Parsifal.......

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #22603 on: January 11, 2019, 06:50:10 AM »

Offline PerfectWagnerite

• Veteran member
« Reply #22604 on: January 11, 2019, 10:03:20 AM »

I can't help but noticing there are quite a bit of recordings with that orchestra.

Offline Draško

« Reply #22605 on: January 11, 2019, 10:15:11 AM »
I can't help but noticing there are quite a bit of recordings with that orchestra.

Ten years after its origin, the Orchestra launched First Edition Recordings, becoming the first American orchestra to own a recording label. In 1953, the Orchestra received a Rockefeller grant of $500,000 to commission, record and premiere 20th-century music by living composers, placing the Louisville Orchestra on the international circuit. Between 1955 and 1997 nearly 150 LPs were released, containing more than 450 compositions by living 20th Century composers (Anon. 2016). Forty-three of these recordings were subsequently issued on CD between 2003 and 2005 (Anon. 2018). The Louisville Orchestra has earned nineteen ASCAP awards for Adventurous Programming of Contemporary Music. The history of commissioned works project is detailed in the documentary Music Makes a City.

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #22606 on: January 11, 2019, 11:13:05 AM »
I am looking forward to hearing it.
I would be interested to read what you think of the Corelli CD when you eventually get to hear it.

That may be a bit, since I ordered it from an Marketplace seller in the UK, so it may turn into another hostage for Trump's shutdown.  (And same applies to the Schumann lieder set, which in normal transist times would already have arrived).

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #22607 on: January 11, 2019, 11:44:02 AM »
That may be a bit, since I ordered it from an Marketplace seller in the UK, so it may turn into another hostage for Trump's shutdown.  (And same applies to the Schumann lieder set, which in normal transist times would already have arrived).

OK, thank you for that....circumstances outside of your control. I hope that you do not have too long a wait for your purchases.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #22608 on: January 11, 2019, 01:30:07 PM »
Ten years after its origin, the Orchestra launched First Edition Recordings, becoming the first American orchestra to own a recording label. In 1953, the Orchestra received a Rockefeller grant of $500,000 to commission, record and premiere 20th-century music by living composers, placing the Louisville Orchestra on the international circuit. Between 1955 and 1997 nearly 150 LPs were released, containing more than 450 compositions by living 20th Century composers (Anon. 2016). Forty-three of these recordings were subsequently issued on CD between 2003 and 2005 (Anon. 2018). The Louisville Orchestra has earned nineteen ASCAP awards for Adventurous Programming of Contemporary Music. The history of commissioned works project is detailed in the documentary Music Makes a City.

I knew the broad outlines of the Louisville adventure, but none of these details. Thanks !

Offline Ghost of Baron Scarpia

• Veteran member
« Reply #22609 on: January 11, 2019, 01:33:54 PM »

I expect a report on CNN, "another unanticipated impact of the shutdown, classical music fans have begun to dispair of ever receiving the obscure Schumann lieder recordings they have ordered overseas, and the result is expected to be mayhem, as they take their existential outrage to the streets. Some are reported to have resorted to listening to old Steely Dan records."
There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind.

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
« Reply #22610 on: January 11, 2019, 02:07:57 PM »
I expect a report on CNN, "another unanticipated impact of the shutdown, classical music fans have begun to dispair of ever receiving the obscure Schumann lieder recordings they have ordered overseas, and the result is expected to be mayhem, as they take their existential outrage to the streets. Some are reported to have resorted to listening to old Steely Dan records."

Digging about the news reports, it seems Customs is less affected than most other agencies.  And Amazon's "expected by" window still gives it plenty of time to arrive on time.

The item in question is the Hyperion complete Schumann lieder set, btw.

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
« Reply #22611 on: January 11, 2019, 02:13:05 PM »
TD
From Arkivmusic so no need to worry about Trump's effect on this

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1862 - 1918)
  • Currently Listening to:
    ...mist floating above the lake...
« Reply #22612 on: January 11, 2019, 02:22:27 PM »
Let me know what you think of the Blomstedt performance of the Stenhammar once you’ve heard it, Jeffrey. It’s one of my favorites from him.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 03:35:47 PM by Mirror Image »
“I love music passionately. And because I love it, I try to free it from barren traditions that stifle it.” - Claude Debussy

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1862 - 1918)
    ...mist floating above the lake...
« Reply #22613 on: January 11, 2019, 03:20:22 PM »
Just bought:

« Last Edit: January 11, 2019, 08:02:22 PM by Mirror Image »
“I love music passionately. And because I love it, I try to free it from barren traditions that stifle it.” - Claude Debussy

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
« Reply #22614 on: January 11, 2019, 05:46:15 PM »
From Amazon MP

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #22615 on: January 11, 2019, 10:23:36 PM »

Could give an entirely new meaning to "going postal".
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline 2dogs

Avant garde, musique concrete & elektronische klang
« Reply #22616 on: January 12, 2019, 11:05:29 AM »
This will be nothing in comparison with the day Trump decides to ban the importation and broadcasting of all un-American music :'(.

Offline shirime

« Reply #22617 on: January 13, 2019, 01:02:58 AM »
Opera Depot has a Theo Adam sale (RIP) so I ended up purchasing Wozzeck as an mp3 for the price of a coffee.

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
  • Don't waste your energy trying to convince people.
« Reply #22618 on: January 13, 2019, 07:09:33 AM »
Bought this at a very low price at Amazon de. It seemed that I loaned this to a friend of mine who died 7 years or so ago, and did not get it back....

Contents of the 7 cd's

CD 1 "Shakespeare's Musick - Songs & Dances From Shakespeare's Plays" - Anonymous: Hollis Berrie; Daphne; My Robin Is to the Greenwood Gone; Tickle my Toe; Kemp's Jig; Hold, Lingel, Hold; How Should I your True Love Know; Walsingham; Robin / Morley: It Was a Lover and his Lass; La Coranto; La Volta; O Mistress Mine; Can She Excuse; The Frog Galliard; Go from my Window / Wilson: Take, O Take Those Lips Away / Farnaby: Bonny Sweet Robin / Jones: Farewell, Dear Love; Get You Hence; Hark, Hark! The Lark; Full Fathom Five; Where the Bee Sucks, There Suck I / Dowland: Tarleton's Resurrection / Byrd: La Coranto; O Mistress Mine
+CD 2 "Oberon, the Faery Prince - A Masque of Prince Henry's"
+CD 3 "Purcell's Shakespeare - Purcell's Setting and Interpolation Made Into Shakespeare's Plays: The Masque of Cupid and Bacchus; Auszüge aus Dido and Aeneas, The Tempest, King Richard II, IV & The Fairy Queen
+CD 4 "Thomas Linley Jr. - Ode on the Witches and Fairies of Shakespeare"
+CD 5 "The Enchanted Island or The Tempest - A Restoration version of Shakespeare's last play" mit Musik von Purcell, Locke, Humfrey, Draghi u. a.
+CD 6 "Shakespeare at the Covent Garden" - Musik von Shakespeare-Produktionen am Covent Garden, komponiert & arrangiert von Henry Rowley Bishop (1786-1855)

Musicians of the Globe, Philip Pickett. Recorded between 1994-1996
 L'Oiseau-Lyre

There comes a point in your life when you realize: Who matters, Who never did, Who won't anymore, And who always will. So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #22619 on: January 13, 2019, 09:15:23 AM »
Opera Depot has a Theo Adam sale (RIP) so I ended up purchasing Wozzeck as an mp3 for the price of a coffee.

I have his Wozzeck but in another version (Kegel IIRC). Certainly one of the great singing actors of his generation. His voice was not exceptionally large, not plush either. A very focused, slightly dry sound, but very expressive. A bit like Jose van Dam or Tito Gobbi (another great Wozzeck).