Author Topic: Purchases Today  (Read 2027563 times)

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
Re: Purchases Today
« Reply #22980 on: February 17, 2019, 05:17:24 PM »
i got my eyes on the Endellion BEETHOVEN set.
Well worth it!
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #22981 on: February 18, 2019, 08:34:09 AM »
i got my eyes on the Endellion BEETHOVEN set.
If you like completism and a style that is quite exciting and energetic, and you think the occasional lack of polish is endearing rather than annoying, go for it! They treat Beethoven more as the revolutionary, mercurial man rather than treating him like a mythical genius. At the price they're charging, why not?

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
« Reply #22982 on: February 18, 2019, 09:34:22 AM »
Ordered yesterday at jpc:

Q
À chacun son goût.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1862 - 1918)
  • Currently Listening to:
    ...mist floating above the lake...
« Reply #22983 on: February 18, 2019, 10:12:54 AM »
Bought late last night:

“Works of art make rules; rules do not make works of art.” - Claude Debussy

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
  • Don't waste your energy trying to convince people.
« Reply #22984 on: February 18, 2019, 10:50:46 AM »
Ordered yesterday at jpc:

Q

Nice, the last two are on their way to me. We could compare notes. :)
There comes a point in your life when you realize: Who matters, Who never did, Who won't anymore, And who always will. So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
  • sic transit gloria mundi
    • ubu's notizen
    all music
« Reply #22985 on: February 18, 2019, 11:31:55 AM »
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #22986 on: February 18, 2019, 01:27:48 PM »
Very nice!

Yeah, it was high time I buy some more Enescu. I’m planning on doing some extensive listening of his music soon. I had a tooth pulled today and I’m just not feeling up to listening to any music at the moment.

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #22987 on: February 18, 2019, 01:45:58 PM »
Bought late last night:

I have this:

and this:

but it seems I'll have to get the Raluca Ştirbăţ* set as well.

* Haenssler Classics' first and foremost hommage to Enescu would be to properly spell Romanian names, methinks.  ;D

« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 01:49:42 PM by Florestan »
“Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."- Victor Hugo

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
« Reply #22988 on: February 18, 2019, 01:46:20 PM »
Nice, the last two are on their way to me. We could compare notes. :)

Great!  :)

Q
À chacun son goût.

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
  • sic transit gloria mundi
    • ubu's notizen
    all music
« Reply #22989 on: February 18, 2019, 02:03:45 PM »
Yeah, it was high time I buy some more Enescu. I’m planning on doing some extensive listening of his music soon. I had a tooth pulled today and I’m just not feeling up to listening to any music at the moment.

Too bad he never let that finished (or so he said if I remember right?) second sonata out of his head and put it onto paper ... btw, the famous Lipatti recording of the third sonata runs in correct key (at correct speed) on the Hänssler Lipatti box ... the EMI Icon set has it a half tone off (not sure if too fast/high or s/low).
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #22990 on: February 18, 2019, 02:10:31 PM »
I have this:

and this:

but it seems I'll have to get the Raluca Ştirbăţ* set as well.

* Haenssler Classics' first and foremost hommage to Enescu would be to properly spell Romanian names, methinks.  ;D

:D Very nice. I was thinking about the Piano Classics set, but then changed my mind and went with Raluca Ştirbăţ (thank goodness for copy-and-paste ;) ). I only know Enescu’s orchestral music (and admittedly not too well) and his Violin Sonata No. 3 (which I need to reacquaint myself with), but so much of his music is unexplored territory for me. I’ll freely admit that I didn’t quite get Enescu initially, but I think if I make an honest effort to get inside of his music, he’ll end up being a favorite. I read someone describe his style as ‘Romantic Impressionist’. Would you say this is an apt descriptor?

Speaking of Enescu, I just bought these recordings:

I don’t need any of his orchestral music as I own Foster’s and Rozhdestvensky’s recordings and I didn’t need any of the violin/piano music as I owned the 2-CD set on Hanssler Classics.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 02:12:29 PM by Mirror Image »

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #22991 on: February 18, 2019, 07:05:38 PM »

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #22992 on: February 18, 2019, 07:38:04 PM »
Too bad he never let that finished (or so he said if I remember right?) second sonata out of his head and put it onto paper ... btw, the famous Lipatti recording of the third sonata runs in correct key (at correct speed) on the Hänssler Lipatti box ... the EMI Icon set has it a half tone off (not sure if too fast/high or s/low).

I have no idea. Your knowledge of Enescu is much greater than mine. He’s a composer that has been on the back-burner for awhile, but I’ve been meaning to give him another chance and approach his music a bit differently this time around.

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #22993 on: February 19, 2019, 12:50:01 AM »
:D Very nice. I was thinking about the Piano Classics set, but then changed my mind and went with Raluca Ştirbăţ (thank goodness for copy-and-paste ;) ). I only know Enescu’s orchestral music (and admittedly not too well) and his Violin Sonata No. 3 (which I need to reacquaint myself with), but so much of his music is unexplored territory for me. I’ll freely admit that I didn’t quite get Enescu initially, but I think if I make an honest effort to get inside of his music, he’ll end up being a favorite. I read someone describe his style as ‘Romantic Impressionist’. Would you say this is an apt descriptor?

I'd say yes. After all, he was Faure's pupil.
“Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."- Victor Hugo

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
  • Fernand Léger: Nature morte aux fruits
« Reply #22994 on: February 19, 2019, 02:47:57 AM »

Speaking of Enescu, I just bought these recordings:

I don’t need any of his orchestral music as I own Foster’s and Rozhdestvensky’s recordings and I didn’t need any of the violin/piano music as I owned the 2-CD set on Hanssler Classics.
Great stuff, John! You’re in for a feast there.

Raluca Ştirbăţ’s traversal of the piano music is first-rate IMHO (I don’t know the de Solaun set, but have owned the Petrescu since it was first released—that’s how I got to know the music). The Third Piano Sonata is a stunning work, as are the suites. I also have a particular fondness for the Prelude and Fugue.

The Kremer  disc is also top-drawer; it’s my favourite recording of one of my very favourite Enescu pieces, the wonderful Piano Quintet (and it also includes an interesting version for string orchestra—sanctioned by the composer—of the Octet).

The other works I have in different recordings, but I’d draw your attention to the great Second SQ (late Enescu at the top of his game).

Once you’ve explored these, you might think of looking into the composer’s opus magnum, the opera Oedipe. Knowing the type of operas you enjoy (Pelléas, King Roger, etc), this should be right up your alley. It’s a masterpiece!

I’d say the Lawrence Foster recording on EMI/Warner is your safest bet. I’ve recently been listening to a version on Albany (the US premiere, with what I believe are semi-professional forces led by Ian Hobson) which is performed with enthusiasm and has its merits. The most engaging  performance IMHO is Charles Brück’s on the  Malibran label (live from Paris in 1955, with some cuts, vintage sound and apparently not easily obtainable on your side of the Atlantic).

« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 03:34:01 AM by ritter »
Ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
« Et avec le fer de sa houe il cassa la glace
De la source ou jadis riaient les naïades... »

Offline andolink

everything from electronic free improv to Haydn divertimenti
« Reply #22995 on: February 19, 2019, 08:13:07 AM »
I read someone describe his style as ‘Romantic Impressionist’. Would you say this is an apt descriptor?

I'd add the descriptor 'slightly mad', especially to his works from the mid 1920's and later.
Stereo: PS Audio DirectStream Memory Player>>PS Audio DirectStream DAC >>Dynaudio 9S subwoofer>>Merrill Audio Thor Mono Blocks>>Dynaudio Confidence C1 II's
 Headphones: PS Audio DMP>>PS Audio DSJ DAC (balanced XLR) >>Balanced Cross-feed X6B >>Audio-gd NFB-6 (balanced XLR) >>Norse Skuld 2 L

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #22996 on: February 19, 2019, 08:18:46 AM »
Great stuff, John! You’re in for a feast there.

Raluca Ştirbăţ’s traversal of the piano music is first-rate IMHO (I don’t know the de Solaun set, but have owned the Petrescu since it was first released—that’s how I got to know the music). The Third Piano Sonata is a stunning work, as are the suites. I also have a particular fondness for the Prelude and Fugue.

The Kremer  disc is also top-drawer; it’s my favourite recording of one of my very favourite Enescu pieces, the wonderful Piano Quintet (and it also includes an interesting version for string orchestra—sanctioned by the composer—of the Octet).

The other works I have in different recordings, but I’d draw your attention to the great Second SQ (late Enescu at the top of his game).

Once you’ve explored these, you might think of looking into the composer’s opus magnum, the opera Oedipe. Knowing the type of operas you enjoy (Pelléas, King Roger, etc), this should be right up your alley. It’s a masterpiece!

I’d say the Lawrence Foster recording on EMI/Warner is your safest bet. I’ve recently been listening to a version on Albany (the US premiere, with what I believe are semi-professional forces led by Ian Hobson) which is performed with enthusiasm and has its merits. The most engaging  performance IMHO is Charles Brück’s on the  Malibran label (live from Paris in 1955, with some cuts, vintage sound and apparently not easily obtainable on your side of the Atlantic).

Thank you so much for this great feedback, Rafael. I’ve always figured you for the “Enescu guy” on the forum (along, perhaps, with Florestan). I’ll definitely be acquiring a copy of his opera, Oedipe. I’ll get the Lawrence Foster as you suggested (he’s great in Enescu anyway as having recorded the symphonies, orchestral suites, etc.). Looking forward to digging into this composer’s oeuvre. Should be a fascinating journey.

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
  • Fernand Léger: Nature morte aux fruits
« Reply #22997 on: February 19, 2019, 08:19:15 AM »
I'd add the descriptor 'slightly mad', especially to his works from the mid 1920's and later.
Perhaps  ;). IMO, though, this “madness” manifests itself mainly in the final movements of some of his compositions (e.g. the Piano Quintet and the Third Pisno Sonata—both of which I admire immensely despite this quirk). It’s as if good old George couldn’t get himself to finish those movements, and they become wayward and almost unstructured. At times, you fell like screaming: “Stop it! You have nothing more to say in this movement!” .  ;D

Thank you so much for this great feedback, Rafael....Looking forward to digging into this composer’s oeuvre. Should be a fascinating journey.
My pleasure,  John!  I hope you enjoy the journey.  It certainly is fascinating. .. :)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2019, 08:53:09 AM by ritter »
Ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
« Et avec le fer de sa houe il cassa la glace
De la source ou jadis riaient les naïades... »

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #22998 on: February 19, 2019, 08:54:03 AM »

‘Slightly mad’ could be a descriptor for many composers. ;)

Thread duty:

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #22999 on: February 19, 2019, 08:54:58 AM »
My pleasure,  John!  I hope you enjoy the journey.  It certainly is fascinating. .. :)

Thanks, Rafael. 8)