Author Topic: Purchases Today  (Read 2174662 times)

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
Re: Purchases Today
« Reply #23720 on: May 14, 2019, 03:15:46 PM »
Why did they not include I vespri siciliani?  It is certainly not dispensable.

:-X
As mentioned earlier, it's there, but was just missed by the poster.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #23721 on: May 14, 2019, 09:05:29 PM »
I finally got around to buying this Ina Boyle CD which has been well recommended to me in the past here

That's a lovely disc! Hope you enjoy it.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline vandermolen

• Silver Subscriber
« Reply #23722 on: May 14, 2019, 09:06:36 PM »
Purchased from Pristine Classical, these newly remastered oldies:

The London Medea from 1959

The 1954 Sibelius symphonies 4 and 5 by Ormandy:

Prokofiev symphonies 5 and 6 by Stokowski:

That Ormandy and Stokowski release looks of great interest. Let us know what you think of them Andre.
 :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline Irons

« Reply #23723 on: May 14, 2019, 10:26:02 PM »
Ordered today, most of the stuff is used and in very good condition. It is new to me, never did that before, lets see how it works out. Most reviews about the vendors were positive to very good. O, well hope it works out.

Conifer also issued the George Lloyd recordings on LP, I assume from a digital master. There is a good selection on eBay but I will hold fire until I hear what you think of performance/recording.

The Lyrita 4th is ordered. Delivery expected this weekend.
And behind the slime and the croaking there was , sure enough, like an old master beneath a layer of dirt, the noble outline of that divine music. - Hermann Hesse, Steppenwolf.

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
  • Don't waste your energy trying to convince people.
« Reply #23724 on: May 14, 2019, 10:36:10 PM »
Conifer also issued the George Lloyd recordings on LP, I assume from a digital master. There is a good selection on eBay but I will hold fire until I hear what you think of performance/recording.

The Lyrita 4th is ordered. Delivery expected this weekend.

Well No.2/3/9/11 are already on the way to me. The moment they come in, I have to check them, which means listening right away. Sarge is a admirer of the Lloyd recordings, so far as I know, so I'll go for that. Apart from that there are no other recordings, so there is no choice if I want the music. :)
There comes a point in your life when you realize: Who matters, Who never did, Who won't anymore, And who always will. So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

Offline aligreto

• Veteran member
« Reply #23725 on: May 15, 2019, 06:54:52 AM »

That's a lovely disc! Hope you enjoy it.

Thank you. A much anticipated CD.
The ability to talk comes with knowledge. The ability to listen comes with wisdom.

Online Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #23726 on: May 15, 2019, 11:31:08 AM »
Putting some finishing touches on a clear-out of my classical wishlist, plus caving in to a couple of impulse purchases of Alpha baroque stuff.

From Presto:

From Amazon:

From Amazon Marketplace:

Now all I need is a big Hyperion sale and for a cheap copy of Babayan's Mendelssohn Songs CD to show up.

Offline Sergeant Rock

• Veteran member
« Reply #23727 on: May 15, 2019, 12:08:34 PM »
Well No.2/3/9/11 are already on the way to me. The moment they come in, I have to check them, which means listening right away. Sarge is a admirer of the Lloyd recordings, so far as I know, so I'll go for that.

I like them all, the range of emotion. 2 has a tragic but ravishing slow movement. 3 is his shortest symphony. It has a Sturm und Drang first movement with an emotionally moving second subject and a gorgeous tragic slow movement. (Lloyd has an amazing ability to imbue the tragic with intense beauty.) The five movement 11 is almost Mahlerian. 9 juxtaposes a light opening movement (portraying a young, vibrant girl) with a bitter, dissonant slow movement (an old woman looking back, grief-stricken).

Sarge
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 12:14:46 PM by Sergeant Rock »
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Offline "Harry"

• Veteran member
  • Don't waste your energy trying to convince people.
« Reply #23728 on: May 15, 2019, 12:44:26 PM »
I like them all, the range of emotion. 2 has a tragic but ravishing slow movement. 3 is his shortest symphony. It has a Sturm und Drang first movement with an emotionally moving second subject and a gorgeous tragic slow movement. (Lloyd has an amazing ability to imbue the tragic with intense beauty.) The five movement 11 is almost Mahlerian. 9 juxtaposes a light opening movement (portraying a young, vibrant girl) with a bitter, dissonant slow movement (an old woman looking back, grief-stricken).

Sarge

Well this I will expect then. Thanks for shedding some light on what I am about to hear :)
There comes a point in your life when you realize: Who matters, Who never did, Who won't anymore, And who always will. So, don't worry about people from your past, there's a reason why they didn't make it to your future.

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #23729 on: May 15, 2019, 03:25:51 PM »

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1862 - 1918)
  • Currently Listening to:
    ...Mist floating above the water...
« Reply #23730 on: May 15, 2019, 03:59:09 PM »
I bought some Walton, too, Andre and one other recording:

Kyung Wha Chung’s performance of Walton’s Violin Concerto is still the one to beat for me. I’ve heard four other performances (Little, Kennedy, Heifetz, and Ehnes) and none of them can touch Chung’s intensity and complete dedication to this work.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 04:13:17 PM by Mirror Image »
“Works of art make rules; rules do not make works of art.” - Claude Debussy

Offline JBS

• Veteran member
  • If music be the food of love, play on!
« Reply #23731 on: May 15, 2019, 05:06:33 PM »
Arkivmusic is having a 1 day sale. So I ordered

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #23732 on: May 16, 2019, 04:56:07 AM »
Just bought:

Online Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #23733 on: May 16, 2019, 07:39:27 AM »
Just bought:

I didn't "get" the Variations on first listen, but this performance of the Symphony is an absolute crackerjack. Super fun.

Also, listen to Walton's Partita and Roussel's Suite in F back-to-back for a bit of a surprise.  ;)

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #23734 on: May 16, 2019, 08:19:51 AM »
Arkivmusic is having a 1 day sale. So I ordered

I’m interested in your comments on the Beethoven/Nagano set, Jeffrey. When you have the chance of course  :)

PerfectWagnerite

« Reply #23735 on: May 16, 2019, 10:55:12 AM »
I bought some Walton, too, Andre and one other recording:

Kyung Wha Chung’s performance of Walton’s Violin Concerto is still the one to beat for me. I’ve heard four other performances (Little, Kennedy, Heifetz, and Ehnes) and none of them can touch Chung’s intensity and complete dedication to this work.
The Chung is a fine performance. This is the incarnation i have:

I like your cover art better as it shows a young KW Chung, such intensity and concentration. on mine i am not sure what the covert art has to do with the 2 works.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #23736 on: May 16, 2019, 05:15:52 PM »
I didn't "get" the Variations on first listen, but this performance of the Symphony is an absolute crackerjack. Super fun.

Also, listen to Walton's Partita and Roussel's Suite in F back-to-back for a bit of a surprise.  ;)

I’ll have to try that, Brian. Sounds neat. 8)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #23737 on: May 16, 2019, 05:16:56 PM »
The Chung is a fine performance. This is the incarnation i have:

I like your cover art better as it shows a young KW Chung, such intensity and concentration. on mine i am not sure what the covert art has to do with the 2 works.

I prefer this younger Chung cover, too, unfortunately I couldn’t find a decent cover for issue I actually bought, but it’s paired with the Elgar Cello Concerto. Yeah, that cover art with the butterflies makes no sense whatsoever.

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #23738 on: May 16, 2019, 08:33:07 PM »
I prefer this younger Chung cover, too, unfortunately I couldn’t find a decent cover for issue I actually bought, but it’s paired with the Elgar Cello Concerto. Yeah, that cover art with the butterflies makes no sense whatsoever.

I got it in this set, which is OOP:

There was yet another Decca set with different recordings of the Symphonies and Cello Concerto

And look at this:

« Last Edit: May 16, 2019, 08:37:28 PM by Daverz »

Offline Introverted

« Reply #23739 on: May 17, 2019, 02:16:10 AM »
Latest buys:

Now own all of this Symphony Cycle on CD. :)
When you make the finding yourself, even if you're the last person on Earth to see the light, you'll never forget it. - Carl Sagan

Don't Like These Ads? Become a GMG Subscriber!
For as little as 14 cents per day, subscribers get no advertising on the forum, a larger Inbox for your PM's, and a warm glow of knowing you are supporting the forum. All this and a groovy Subscriber badge too!
Click here to read more.