Author Topic: Orlando de Lasso's Lagrime Di San Pietro (and anything else by or about him.)  (Read 4274 times)

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
I've been listening a lot to different recordings of this piece of music.

The first thing to say is that I find it a very moving piece of work, not solely from the point of view Lassus's setting, but also from the point of view of Tansillo's poems. I had no idea that the poems would be so evocative, both  in the way they chart Peter's psychological defragmentation, and  in the power of the metaphors -- the eyes of Jesus on the cross, the ice in the heart melting into a stream and so on and so forth. This is good stuff. One of the great joys of listening to madrigals is that it introduces you to some amazing poems.

When I first started to listen to recordings, I was maybe clinging on to familiar paradigms. So, for example, when Jesus speaks, I was expecting that to be highlighted, given a weight, like J S Bach does when Jesus speaks in the passion music. But Lasso isn't Bach, he's got his own way of doing things and once I started to accept the work on its own terms things really opened up.

I have no idea why Lassus wrote the music, but I do know that for me, listening to it is a sort of contemplation, a spiritual exercise. For that reason I've been drawn to performances where the drama is private and where the overall feeling is rapt and internalised.

I listened to five commercial records: Herreweghe, Michael Procter (which I found very confusing -- I really don't understand what he's about), Bo Holten, Van Nevel and  Livio Picotti.  I would say this music is pretty well served on record- not many performances but two or three  very satisfying ones, at least. Normally I like small ensembles in this sort of music, just because I like the polyphony to be very clear, so I can hear all the (dis)harmonies. And normally I tend to favour a capella records - no reason, just me. But this time round I've confounded my own expectations, and I find myself drawn over and over again to Livio Picotti and Capella Dvcale Venetia. Picotti makes it sound more like a meditation than a drama, and I like that. The way Picotti uses instruments is nice, the madrigals are full of changing textures. .

« Last Edit: March 19, 2013, 05:08:54 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
Thanks for the alert to this album.

His motet Tristis est anima mea is one of the most exquisite things I've ever sung.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline val

• Veteran member
Some personal suggestions:

A Stabat Mater (sublime) by the Hilliard Ensemble, including other motets and songs (the beautiful "La nuit froide et sombre")

The Lamentations of Jeremiah, perhaps Lassus greatest work by Herreweghe

The Psalms of Penitence, another masterpiece, by the Tolzen Knabenchor

And the recordings of Motets by the Tallis Scholars and Songs by the Ensemble Clement Janequin

Regarding the Missas, the Mass Osculetur me by the Tallis Scholars

But, regarding the work of Lassus, I have so many things to discover !

snyprrr

I've had the Sony forever. Love it!

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member

A Stabat Mater (sublime) by the Hilliard Ensemble, including other motets and songs (the beautiful "La nuit froide et sombre")

And the recordings of Motets by the Tallis Scholars and Songs by the Ensemble Clement Janequin

Thanks for this post Val, and in particular for drawing my attention to the Tolzen Knabenchor recording of the Penetential Psalms, which I didn't know about. It's on spotify so no problem to hear. I can't wait to hear this music sung by boys -- I have no idea what to expect. In the past I've played Herreweghe or  Henry's 8, though I quite like what the Hilliards do too.

I agree with you about Ensemble Clement Janequin's record of songs. I'm the biggest fan of ECJ, I think I have all, or most, of their records.

I have never heard The Lamentations of Jeremiah. I'll do something about that forthwith.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 09:54:53 AM by Mandryka »

Offline HIPster

• Veteran member
  • HIPster
  • Currently Listening to:
    Bach and Beyond
Great thread!  Thanks for starting it Mandryka.

This one stands out as a future purchase for me:

Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
Great thread!  Thanks for starting it Mandryka.

This one stands out as a future purchase for me:

That's a nice CD, it's on spotify. But I think it contains just one short track by Lasso.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2013, 11:24:15 PM by Mandryka »

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member

I can't get on with that recording of the Penitential Psalms with the Tolzen Knabenchor. It just seems a bit crude compared with Henry's 8. Why do you like it so much, you're obviously looking for something different from me here.

I've just ordered this recording which has three of the Penetential Psalms sung by Pro Cantione Antiqua, whose other Lasus recordings I like. Has anyone heard it?

« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 12:57:10 AM by Mandryka »

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
I can't get on with that recording of the Penitential Psalms with the Tolzen Knabenchor. It just seems a bit crude compared with Henry's 8. Why do you like it so much, you're obviously looking for something different from me here.

Herreweghe might be your ticket, amazing recording:

Q

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
Herreweghe might be your ticket, amazing recording:

Q

Oh yes, I have that one and it's pretty good, the singers are very good, as always  with Herreweghe. Having said that I tend to go for Henry's 8 or even Hilliards more, partly because the ensembles are smaller. I would say Henry's 8 is my favourite  at the moment in the Psalms. I'm into small scale a capella singing.

Herreweghe's style is very polished and there's a sort of emphasis on beauty, and long legato lines.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2013, 08:49:25 AM by Mandryka »

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member

I've just ordered this recording which has three of the Penetential Psalms sung by Pro Cantione Antiqua, whose other Lasus recordings I like. Has anyone heard it?

They are my favorite. Dark and desperate, far removed from the lighter interpretations discussed elsewhere here.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
They are my favorite. Dark and desperate, far removed from the lighter interpretations discussed elsewhere here.

Great!!