Author Topic: Recordings You Want To See in the Future  (Read 8755 times)

Offline Scarpia

• Veteran member
Re: Recordings You Want To See in the Future
« Reply #60 on: November 03, 2017, 09:32:58 AM »
A new Bartok cycle from the Emerson Quartet.  I have their 1989 recording on DG, which is excellent.  However, I saw them perform the entire set in a single concert in 1995 at Tanglewood, and their interpretation had really expanded and developed since the recording.  I gave up on a live CD from that performance (it was recorded), but am still hoping they'll re-record this cycle.  It would be devastating.  For me, anyway.

The Emerson Quartet has disbanded, no?

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #61 on: November 03, 2017, 09:38:46 AM »

No. 
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2017, 09:40:11 AM »
I believe they just released an album of Purcell and Britten.

Offline Scarpia

• Veteran member
« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2017, 09:42:54 AM »
Now I remember, the cellist quit the group.

Offline maxbeesley

• Buy SC Plays
« Reply #64 on: November 04, 2017, 12:03:22 AM »
Yes, I want to see recording in the future. It will be a great experience for me.

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #65 on: November 04, 2017, 01:02:14 AM »
I can entirely recommend the Bloch/Griller set.  A slightly older-sounding recording, but the performance is just excellent.  I have the Pro Arte recordings, but the recording quality isn't that good for a modern DDD recording, and (my opinion) the performance isn't as good as the Griller set.
I have the Griller 1-4 but the 5th quartet was not recorded by them. I am loth to order one expensive disc from the US only for the 5th quartet. Overall the "scandal" is that there are not more and more recent and easily available recordings of this music. The piano quintets fare considerably better with two "modern" and available recordings (Hyperion and Praga? or another Czech label).
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline Omicron9

« Reply #66 on: November 04, 2017, 08:36:01 AM »
I have the Griller 1-4 but the 5th quartet was not recorded by them. I am loth to order one expensive disc from the US only for the 5th quartet. Overall the "scandal" is that there are not more and more recent and easily available recordings of this music. The piano quintets fare considerably better with two "modern" and available recordings (Hyperion and Praga? or another Czech label).

Quite so: Grillers is 1 - 4, and I believe 5 was yet to be composed at the time of their recordings.  The Pro Arte have done all five, but (my opinion here) the performances are not up to the Griller's standards, and the recording quality is disappointing.  So I agree with you: a new Bloch cycle would be an exciting development!

Interesting thread, this.

« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 08:37:36 AM by Omicron9 »
"Signature-line free since 2017!"

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK