Author Topic: Francis Poulenc  (Read 29967 times)

Offline kyjo

• Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
Re: Francis Poulenc
« Reply #240 on: November 28, 2017, 08:31:46 AM »
Am I alone in preferring Poulenc's underrated Piano Concerto to his much more popular Concerto for 2 Pianos? Sure, the PC is a bit derivative of Rachmaninoff in spots (and none the worse for that, IMO), but the first two movements are absolutely gorgeous and have some killer melodies. The cheeky finale seems a bit incongruous with the lyrical first two movements, though. As for the Concerto for 2 Pianos, I find it to be rather annoying in spots, and the constant wittiness grows a bit old after a while.

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
  • SQs, PQs, PQTs, PTs, VSs, Berlioz-Xenakis/Aperghis
  • Currently Listening to:
    Things that are crisp and spritely vs. things that are thick and creamy
Re: Francis Poulenc
« Reply #241 on: November 29, 2017, 05:24:33 PM »
Am I alone in preferring Poulenc's underrated Piano Concerto to his much more popular Concerto for 2 Pianos? Sure, the PC is a bit derivative of Rachmaninoff in spots (and none the worse for that, IMO), but the first two movements are absolutely gorgeous and have some killer melodies. The cheeky finale seems a bit incongruous with the lyrical first two movements, though. As for the Concerto for 2 Pianos, I find it to be rather annoying in spots, and the constant wittiness grows a bit old after a while.

I feel like you on both points

Just enjoyed the Harpsichord Concerto, very Stravinskian in a 'Jeu de Cartes' way. The Organ Cto. is too monumental for at the moment.

I also think I've said "no" to the Piano Music. He's too salon-ish in general here it seems to me. The 2Piano music seems much more serious. I just can't find ONE perfect piano piece by Poulenc, so Satiesque as to destroy me, but, no, I can't fins it...

I DID pop for that Francaix3CD set of Piano Muisc, tho,... lol... Francaix's PM just seems a little more straightforward to me,,,we'll see...
Rat Poison is 99% Good Food, so Follow the Money

Haydn-Sikh

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
  • SQs, PQs, PQTs, PTs, VSs, Berlioz-Xenakis/Aperghis
    Things that are crisp and spritely vs. things that are thick and creamy
Re: Francis Poulenc POULENC PROBLEM
« Reply #242 on: January 06, 2018, 08:59:46 AM »
I am tempted to get more of his music than I probably would care for... like the EratoBox,... but I know I wouldn't probably be into most all of the Vocal Music,... and I'm starting to suspect that I'm vexxing over some psychosomatic Stockholm Syndrome, whereby I MUST LIKE all that I hear, which, I don't.

The DutoitBox (5CD)is more manageable, but I'm even thinking this is too much,... I just don'tthink I enjoy 'Les Biches', the 'Animals', and the Aubade,... why do I feel like I MUST have them? I'm not even too keen on 'Pulcinella', so why would I get all sweaty over Paris@1928-32?

If I found ANY Box for $5, well, that would be a different story,... is $35 too much for Poulenc? :'(

btw- Dutoit seems quite lush and lux, whereas Pretre really gets down and dirty (and recorded IN YOUR FACE!): compare the Molto Vivace from the Sinfonietta to hear the real deal.

First World Problem ::) :P  :laugh:

and yes, I do feel stupid writing that,lol
Rat Poison is 99% Good Food, so Follow the Money

Haydn-Sikh

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1862 - 1918)
    ...mist floating above the lake...
Re: Francis Poulenc POULENC PROBLEM
« Reply #243 on: February 27, 2018, 08:32:13 AM »
I am tempted to get more of his music than I probably would care for... like the EratoBox,... but I know I wouldn't probably be into most all of the Vocal Music,... and I'm starting to suspect that I'm vexxing over some psychosomatic Stockholm Syndrome, whereby I MUST LIKE all that I hear, which, I don't.

The DutoitBox (5CD)is more manageable, but I'm even thinking this is too much,... I just don'tthink I enjoy 'Les Biches', the 'Animals', and the Aubade,... why do I feel like I MUST have them? I'm not even too keen on 'Pulcinella', so why would I get all sweaty over Paris@1928-32?

If I found ANY Box for $5, well, that would be a different story,... is $35 too much for Poulenc? :'(

btw- Dutoit seems quite lush and lux, whereas Pretre really gets down and dirty (and recorded IN YOUR FACE!): compare the Molto Vivace from the Sinfonietta to hear the real deal.

First World Problem ::) :P  :laugh:

and yes, I do feel stupid writing that,lol

I never understand a lot of your rants as they just don’t make any logical sense ;), but I think you will like the vocal/choral music if you gave it a chance. Like for example, this Baudo recording is absolutely first-rate:

I can’t recommend this Baudo recording highly enough and this goes for anyone who’s interested in branching out from the concerti and chamber works. I do like Dutoit’s recordings of Poulenc, but I don’t rate him especially high in the choral works, but I do rather enjoy his Gloria. Prêtre is also an excellent Poulenc conductor and has turned in many great performances. The Erato set (EMI initially) is definitely worth checking out, although I don’t care for most of the performances of the chamber music in this set and still feel that Tharaud’s set on Naxos hasn’t been bettered.
"I love music passionately. And because I love it, I try to free it from barren traditions that stifle it.” - Claude Debussy