Author Topic: Francis Poulenc  (Read 33188 times)

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
Re: Francis Poulenc
« Reply #240 on: November 28, 2017, 08:31:46 AM »
Am I alone in preferring Poulenc's underrated Piano Concerto to his much more popular Concerto for 2 Pianos? Sure, the PC is a bit derivative of Rachmaninoff in spots (and none the worse for that, IMO), but the first two movements are absolutely gorgeous and have some killer melodies. The cheeky finale seems a bit incongruous with the lyrical first two movements, though. As for the Concerto for 2 Pianos, I find it to be rather annoying in spots, and the constant wittiness grows a bit old after a while.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

snyprrr

Re: Francis Poulenc
« Reply #241 on: November 29, 2017, 05:24:33 PM »
Am I alone in preferring Poulenc's underrated Piano Concerto to his much more popular Concerto for 2 Pianos? Sure, the PC is a bit derivative of Rachmaninoff in spots (and none the worse for that, IMO), but the first two movements are absolutely gorgeous and have some killer melodies. The cheeky finale seems a bit incongruous with the lyrical first two movements, though. As for the Concerto for 2 Pianos, I find it to be rather annoying in spots, and the constant wittiness grows a bit old after a while.

I feel like you on both points

Just enjoyed the Harpsichord Concerto, very Stravinskian in a 'Jeu de Cartes' way. The Organ Cto. is too monumental for at the moment.

I also think I've said "no" to the Piano Music. He's too salon-ish in general here it seems to me. The 2Piano music seems much more serious. I just can't find ONE perfect piano piece by Poulenc, so Satiesque as to destroy me, but, no, I can't fins it...

I DID pop for that Francaix3CD set of Piano Muisc, tho,... lol... Francaix's PM just seems a little more straightforward to me,,,we'll see...

snyprrr

Re: Francis Poulenc POULENC PROBLEM
« Reply #242 on: January 06, 2018, 08:59:46 AM »
I am tempted to get more of his music than I probably would care for... like the EratoBox,... but I know I wouldn't probably be into most all of the Vocal Music,... and I'm starting to suspect that I'm vexxing over some psychosomatic Stockholm Syndrome, whereby I MUST LIKE all that I hear, which, I don't.

The DutoitBox (5CD)is more manageable, but I'm even thinking this is too much,... I just don'tthink I enjoy 'Les Biches', the 'Animals', and the Aubade,... why do I feel like I MUST have them? I'm not even too keen on 'Pulcinella', so why would I get all sweaty over Paris@1928-32?

If I found ANY Box for $5, well, that would be a different story,... is $35 too much for Poulenc? :'(

btw- Dutoit seems quite lush and lux, whereas Pretre really gets down and dirty (and recorded IN YOUR FACE!): compare the Molto Vivace from the Sinfonietta to hear the real deal.

First World Problem ::) :P  :laugh:

and yes, I do feel stupid writing that,lol

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Bohuslav Martinů (1890 - 1959)
  • Currently Listening to:
    The Opening of the Wells on Magic Nights
Re: Francis Poulenc POULENC PROBLEM
« Reply #243 on: February 27, 2018, 08:32:13 AM »
I am tempted to get more of his music than I probably would care for... like the EratoBox,... but I know I wouldn't probably be into most all of the Vocal Music,... and I'm starting to suspect that I'm vexxing over some psychosomatic Stockholm Syndrome, whereby I MUST LIKE all that I hear, which, I don't.

The DutoitBox (5CD)is more manageable, but I'm even thinking this is too much,... I just don'tthink I enjoy 'Les Biches', the 'Animals', and the Aubade,... why do I feel like I MUST have them? I'm not even too keen on 'Pulcinella', so why would I get all sweaty over Paris@1928-32?

If I found ANY Box for $5, well, that would be a different story,... is $35 too much for Poulenc? :'(

btw- Dutoit seems quite lush and lux, whereas Pretre really gets down and dirty (and recorded IN YOUR FACE!): compare the Molto Vivace from the Sinfonietta to hear the real deal.

First World Problem ::) :P  :laugh:

and yes, I do feel stupid writing that,lol

I never understand a lot of your rants as they just don’t make any logical sense ;), but I think you will like the vocal/choral music if you gave it a chance. Like for example, this Baudo recording is absolutely first-rate:

I can’t recommend this Baudo recording highly enough and this goes for anyone who’s interested in branching out from the concerti and chamber works. I do like Dutoit’s recordings of Poulenc, but I don’t rate him especially high in the choral works, but I do rather enjoy his Gloria. Prêtre is also an excellent Poulenc conductor and has turned in many great performances. The Erato set (EMI initially) is definitely worth checking out, although I don’t care for most of the performances of the chamber music in this set and still feel that Tharaud’s set on Naxos hasn’t been bettered.
“It must be beautiful, or it wouldn't be worth the effort.” - Bohuslav Martinů