Author Topic: Francis Poulenc  (Read 27883 times)

Offline kyjo

• Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
Re: Francis Poulenc
« Reply #240 on: November 27, 2017, 01:26:56 PM »
The Sonata for 2 Pianos is a marvelous work. I don't know many other solo piano works of his.

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
  • SQs, PQs, PQTs, PTs, VSs, Berlioz-Xenakis/Aperghis
  • Currently Listening to:
    Things that are crisp and spritely vs. things that are thick and creamy
« Reply #241 on: November 27, 2017, 09:05:48 PM »
The Sonata for 2 Pianos is a marvelous work. I don't know many other solo piano works of his.
realized I had this, and y its opening mysteryes, I am quite impressed by

Just

(this happens all the time :()

Yes, it's a great piece, opening with mystery.

Poulenc apparently complained about his own piano music, so you're in good company.

I seem to remember liking the Nocturnes, and the Intermezzi and later Improvisations. But it's been a while. Certainly, some of the earlier piano music is pretty insubstantial in my opinion.

EDIT: The music for 2 pianos is good. Can't believe I didn't say that.

ha!

I've been looking at the Piano Music of Poulenc, Francaix,Milhaud,... Milhaud has some serious works... but... I have to decide who will be my Miniaturist. I've been hemming and hawing over the 3CD set of Francaix,... I knowI've tried Poulenc before and not particularly liked it compared to others. oy, this is exhausting, looking into small things one really may not be into.

so, yea, the 2Piano Muisc seems to be Poulenc's outlet for serious Piano Music...hmm....

Rat Poison is 99% Good Food, so Follow the Money

Haydn-Sikh

Offline kyjo

• Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #242 on: November 28, 2017, 08:31:46 AM »
Am I alone in preferring Poulenc's underrated Piano Concerto to his much more popular Concerto for 2 Pianos? Sure, the PC is a bit derivative of Rachmaninoff in spots (and none the worse for that, IMO), but the first two movements are absolutely gorgeous and have some killer melodies. The cheeky finale seems a bit incongruous with the lyrical first two movements, though. As for the Concerto for 2 Pianos, I find it to be rather annoying in spots, and the constant wittiness grows a bit old after a while.

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
« Reply #243 on: November 29, 2017, 05:24:33 PM »
Am I alone in preferring Poulenc's underrated Piano Concerto to his much more popular Concerto for 2 Pianos? Sure, the PC is a bit derivative of Rachmaninoff in spots (and none the worse for that, IMO), but the first two movements are absolutely gorgeous and have some killer melodies. The cheeky finale seems a bit incongruous with the lyrical first two movements, though. As for the Concerto for 2 Pianos, I find it to be rather annoying in spots, and the constant wittiness grows a bit old after a while.

I feel like you on both points

Just enjoyed the Harpsichord Concerto, very Stravinskian in a 'Jeu de Cartes' way. The Organ Cto. is too monumental for at the moment.

I also think I've said "no" to the Piano Music. He's too salon-ish in general here it seems to me. The 2Piano music seems much more serious. I just can't find ONE perfect piano piece by Poulenc, so Satiesque as to destroy me, but, no, I can't fins it...

I DID pop for that Francaix3CD set of Piano Muisc, tho,... lol... Francaix's PM just seems a little more straightforward to me,,,we'll see...

Haydn-Sikh

Offline snyprrr

• Veteran member
Re: Francis Poulenc POULENC PROBLEM
« Reply #244 on: January 06, 2018, 08:59:46 AM »
I am tempted to get more of his music than I probably would care for... like the EratoBox,... but I know I wouldn't probably be into most all of the Vocal Music,... and I'm starting to suspect that I'm vexxing over some psychosomatic Stockholm Syndrome, whereby I MUST LIKE all that I hear, which, I don't.

The DutoitBox (5CD)is more manageable, but I'm even thinking this is too much,... I just don'tthink I enjoy 'Les Biches', the 'Animals', and the Aubade,... why do I feel like I MUST have them? I'm not even too keen on 'Pulcinella', so why would I get all sweaty over Paris@1928-32?

If I found ANY Box for $5, well, that would be a different story,... is $35 too much for Poulenc? :'(

btw- Dutoit seems quite lush and lux, whereas Pretre really gets down and dirty (and recorded IN YOUR FACE!): compare the Molto Vivace from the Sinfonietta to hear the real deal.

First World Problem ::) :P  :laugh:

and yes, I do feel stupid writing that,lol

Haydn-Sikh

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK