Author Topic: Vaughan Williams's Veranda  (Read 272193 times)

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
Re: Vaughan Williams's Veranda
« Reply #3120 on: January 21, 2018, 03:26:12 PM »
Hooray, Grant Park Festival just published its schedule, we're getting VW #4 this year:

http://www.grantparkmusicfestival.com/2018season/prokofievwilliams

Très cool!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline Oates

« Reply #3121 on: January 28, 2018, 03:37:44 AM »
Albion are due to release the first recording of Beyond My Dream: Music for Greek Plays in 2018

See link https://rvwsociety.com/Beyond-My-Dream/

Has anyone heard this yet? I must say I'm tempted by its description as "more than an hour of unknown but lovely music, from the early maturity of Vaughan Williams, now recorded for the first time."

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #3122 on: January 28, 2018, 07:37:07 PM »
Has anyone heard this yet? I must say I'm tempted by its description as "more than an hour of unknown but lovely music, from the early maturity of Vaughan Williams, now recorded for the first time."
Not yet but the samples sound good:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ralph-Vaughan-Williams-Sinfonia-ALBCD033/dp/B077MT9GYH/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1517196610&sr=1-1&keywords=vaughan+williams+beyond+my+dream
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #3123 on: January 31, 2018, 06:46:21 AM »

I agree with the description having just listened to the CD right through. What surprised me was how characteristic the music was of later VW scores. Parts reminded me of 'Riders to the Sea' and 'Pilgrim's Progress'. There's quite a lot of spoken accompaniment but that was not a problem for me and really added to my interest. In all a rather beautiful and moving CD. I'm very pleased to have bought it thanks to Oates's enquiry.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline Oates

« Reply #3124 on: February 01, 2018, 09:06:02 AM »
Just ordered this myself - the completist in me would might have won out eventually in any case, but it does sound like a top drawer RVW effort.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #3125 on: February 02, 2018, 06:55:47 AM »
Just ordered this myself - the completist in me would might have won out eventually in any case, but it does sound like a top drawer RVW effort.

I'm sure that you won't be disappointed - in some respects, I think, it is one of the most interesting and unusual of those Albion releases. Let us know what you make of it. I want to hear it again myself over the weekend.

Offline Christo

• Veteran member
  • ... an opening of those magic casements ...
« Reply #3126 on: February 02, 2018, 07:33:29 AM »
I'm sure that you won't be disappointed - in some respects, I think, it is one of the most interesting and unusual of those Albion releases. Let us know what you make of it. I want to hear it again myself over the weekend.
Agreed. Gave it a first spin this week - it's available on Spotify since a couple of days - and am positively surprised.
… music is not only an `entertainment’, nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK