Author Topic: Vaughan Williams's Veranda  (Read 326149 times)

Offline cilgwyn

• Veteran member
Re: Vaughan Williams's Veranda
« Reply #3300 on: May 16, 2018, 04:30:11 AM »
I can't pound my table,as it's a folding one,and it will probably collapse!! :(

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #3301 on: May 16, 2018, 04:38:47 AM »
I can't pound my table,as it's a folding one,and it will probably collapse!! :(

:) :)
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline Oates

« Reply #3302 on: May 16, 2018, 05:01:45 AM »
By the way,what is the stone circle pictured? I suppose I should know?

As I mentioned in my earlier post, the stone circle is Castlerigg near Keswick.

Offline Oates

« Reply #3303 on: May 16, 2018, 05:06:40 AM »
So,they gave you a choice and I may have been listening to the original mono version? That makes me feel better! Electronic stereo was horrible. It just sounded echoey,or someone singing down a drain pipe! I was reading recently how pop albums were released in mono versions,as well,because they had some idea that stereo Lp's wouldn't reproduce satisfactorily on mono record players (like a Dansette,for instance).
I actually do like Abbott and Costello meets Frankenstein. Seeing those classic universal horror monsters drawn into really dumb vaudeville routines is fun. I also like the joke at the end,in the boat,with the Invisible man (voiced by Vincent Price) just when they think they've got away!! In French with Flemish subtitles,though?! ::) Of course,I can't forget torturing my mother and sister by insisting on watching The Water Margin every week on BBC2,when I was a teenager. Miriam Margoyles and a host of other english actors putting on cod Chinese voices. Very un pc,these days! Burt Kwouk as a notable exception,voicing the narration. They made me watch I Claudius,though!! >:(
The dubbers may not have been off the mark about Shane,according to the notes under that video. Apparently,there were quite allot of Welsh speaking cowboys,and gun slingers too! Of course it's not so surprising,really,when you think about it. I'm not so sure whether there would be many Welsh speakers where Baron Frankenstein lives,though?!!! :-\ ;D
On that Decca eclipse Lp of VW's Boult. I also like the nifty way the colour at the top matches the hue of the stones. By the way,what is the stone circle pictured? I suppose I should know?! A confession here. I haven't heard that performance. The Belart cd's are usually pretty cheap.

I've been looking at some of the Decca eclipse Lp's on ebay. They really do have some lovely cover photos. Lakes,rivers,mountains,beautiful buildings in breathtaking landscapes or leafy surroundings,always beautifully shot.......and lots of trees and woods. I love woods! And the Holst,you mentioned before! Not the BBCSO performance,but just the kind of cover shot I like. And it's just appropriate somehow? Stonehenge and theories about ancient astronomy (although Holst was inspired by astrology). As to the Bliss Lp. Again,look how the colour at the top matches the hue of the flowers!! ;D

Oops,some Beethoven,too! But such a nice shot!

Decca Eclipse VW Symphony No.6 cover is of the Langdale Pikes - but not the one I remembered...There must be another.

Offline cilgwyn

• Veteran member
« Reply #3304 on: May 16, 2018, 05:56:58 AM »
That's the only Decca eclipse sleeve of that recording of the Boult Sixth I can find. There were other Lp reissues with different sleeve designs and photos.
What's on the front of this one,by the way? I'm trying to make it out. It's like one of those quiz game pictures. Is it anything? I probably just need new spectacles! :( ::) ;D

Offline Biffo

« Reply #3305 on: May 16, 2018, 06:19:50 AM »
That's the only Decca eclipse sleeve of that recording of the Boult Sixth I can find. There were other Lp reissues with different sleeve designs and photos.
What's on the front of this one,by the way? I'm trying to make it out. It's like one of those quiz game pictures. Is it anything? I probably just need new spectacles! :( ::) ;D

It is quite clearly the 'stuff dreams are made on' - very bad dreams.

Offline cilgwyn

• Veteran member
« Reply #3306 on: May 16, 2018, 07:22:48 AM »
Yes! ;D I'm thinking that could be a foot on the left?1 I also tried blurring my eyes a bit and stepping a few paces back from the screen!

Baron Scarpia

« Reply #3307 on: May 16, 2018, 07:25:58 AM »
Someone got paid to put that cover together.  ???

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #3308 on: May 16, 2018, 07:58:14 AM »
Yes! ;D I'm thinking that could be a foot on the left?1 I also tried blurring my eyes a bit and stepping a few paces back from the screen!
It does look like a foot - possibly attached to a motor-cycle. VW was a well-known biker so it's quite an appropriate image really.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline Oates

« Reply #3309 on: May 16, 2018, 01:19:27 PM »
In view of your name you clearly have a strong emotional tie to Scott's ill-fated expedition.
EMI used one of Edward Wilson's drawings I think for the Haitink recording of Sinfonia Antartica.

Yes, I got very interested in polar exploration as a result of the Sinfonia Antartica and film score.

I also have this DVD of Antarctic footage set to the RVW symphony.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vaughan-Williams-Sinfonia-Antartica-DVD/dp/0958230331/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1526509008&sr=1-2&keywords=Sinfonia+Antartica

Online relm1

« Reply #3310 on: May 16, 2018, 04:03:33 PM »
Yes, I got very interested in polar exploration as a result of the Sinfonia Antartica and film score.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vaughan-Williams-Sinfonia-Antartica-DVD/dp/0958230331/ref=sr_1_2?s=dvd&ie=UTF8&qid=1526509008&sr=1-2&keywords=Sinfonia+Antartica

Good for you.  We have much in common.  :)

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #3311 on: May 16, 2018, 08:51:05 PM »

How interesting - never seen that before. I think that I've read most books on the Scott expedition including Roland Huntford's hatchet job on Scott. Maybe I'll start a Scott thread.

Offline Oates

« Reply #3312 on: May 16, 2018, 09:40:08 PM »
In fact an early memory of mine is sitting down to watch a TV broadcast of Scott of the Antarctic - first time I'd seen the film, I must have been aged 10 or so, and my Dad saying before it started "Good music in this film - listen out for it." He was right, of course, though I doubt he consciously knew of RVW.

Offline aukhawk

• Frankie
  • Currently Listening to:
    Bach to Björk
« Reply #3313 on: May 16, 2018, 11:11:01 PM »
Looks like a naked woman on a motorbike to me - but maybe that's just my overheated imagination ...

The last of those Eclipse sleeves (Beethoven) could be Ullswater.

There's a Scott memorial in a very unexpected place, high in the French Alps (he did some hard-weather training and trialled a motorised sled there).

« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 11:15:03 PM by aukhawk »

Offline Oates

« Reply #3314 on: May 17, 2018, 01:31:10 AM »
So,they gave you a choice and I may have been listening to the original mono version? That makes me feel better! Electronic stereo was horrible. It just sounded echoey,or someone singing down a drain pipe! I was reading recently how pop albums were released in mono versions,as well,because they had some idea that stereo Lp's wouldn't reproduce satisfactorily on mono record players (like a Dansette,for instance).
I actually do like Abbott and Costello meets Frankenstein. Seeing those classic universal horror monsters drawn into really dumb vaudeville routines is fun. I also like the joke at the end,in the boat,with the Invisible man (voiced by Vincent Price) just when they think they've got away!! In French with Flemish subtitles,though?! ::) Of course,I can't forget torturing my mother and sister by insisting on watching The Water Margin every week on BBC2,when I was a teenager. Miriam Margoyles and a host of other english actors putting on cod Chinese voices. Very un pc,these days! Burt Kwouk as a notable exception,voicing the narration. They made me watch I Claudius,though!! >:(
The dubbers may not have been off the mark about Shane,according to the notes under that video. Apparently,there were quite allot of Welsh speaking cowboys,and gun slingers too! Of course it's not so surprising,really,when you think about it. I'm not so sure whether there would be many Welsh speakers where Baron Frankenstein lives,though?!!! :-\ ;D
On that Decca eclipse Lp of VW's Boult. I also like the nifty way the colour at the top matches the hue of the stones. By the way,what is the stone circle pictured? I suppose I should know?! A confession here. I haven't heard that performance. The Belart cd's are usually pretty cheap.

I've been looking at some of the Decca eclipse Lp's on ebay. They really do have some lovely cover photos. Lakes,rivers,mountains,beautiful buildings in breathtaking landscapes or leafy surroundings,always beautifully shot.......and lots of trees and woods. I love woods! And the Holst,you mentioned before! Not the BBCSO performance,but just the kind of cover shot I like. And it's just appropriate somehow? Stonehenge and theories about ancient astronomy (although Holst was inspired by astrology). As to the Bliss Lp. Again,look how the colour at the top matches the hue of the flowers!! ;D

Oops,some Beethoven,too! But such a nice shot!

The Bliss cover is Loch Torridon in the Scottish Highlands. The last one could well be Ullswater.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #3315 on: May 17, 2018, 01:54:19 AM »
Looks like a naked woman on a motorbike to me - but maybe that's just my overheated imagination ...

The last of those Eclipse sleeves (Beethoven) could be Ullswater.

There's a Scott memorial in a very unexpected place, high in the French Alps (he did some hard-weather training and trialled a motorised sled there).

Yes, I'm sure your right about the LP cover!  :)
Interesting about the Scott memorial in the French Alps - never knew about that. When I was at school I was in charge of the Film Society (until it was closed down as some naughty pupils were smoking during the screenings). Anyway, I showed Scott of the Antarctic as one of the films - I must have been about 17 so it was at the early stage of my enthusiasm for VW's music. I like the film although it is very much of its time. I remember the film director Ken Russell being very rude about the film commenting that 'the best actors were the Penguins'.

Offline cilgwyn

• Veteran member
« Reply #3316 on: May 17, 2018, 02:10:01 AM »
I can't see a naked woman;but I can make out what looks like a woman's high heel,with a strap!! It could be resting on a pedal? And that roundish bit towards the front might just be a motorbike wheel?! It does look like she's just about to tear off,or perhaps just parked alongside a roadside café (or joint?).

Offline Biffo

« Reply #3317 on: May 17, 2018, 03:27:19 AM »
I can't see a naked woman;but I can make out what looks like a woman's high heel,with a strap!! It could be resting on a pedal? And that roundish bit towards the front might just be a motorbike wheel?! It does look like she's just about to tear off,or perhaps just parked alongside a roadside café (or joint?).

I found a copy for sale on ebay that had an image of the back cover. After downloading the image and expanding it I found 'Sleeve design by Decca Publicity Art Department' - so, none the wiser.

Offline cilgwyn

• Veteran member
« Reply #3318 on: May 17, 2018, 03:47:18 AM »
To be fair,it certainly wins a prize for the most baffling sleeve design? It's the fact that it looks like it could be something? It's not just an abstract design or painting. It looks like a bit like one of those quiz show games,where you have to guess what it is? I also have speculated that it is a blurred view of a building from below. A cathedral,perhaps? A deliberate attempt to obfuscate? I like to think it's an attractive lady on a motorbike,myself! :)

Offline cilgwyn

• Veteran member
« Reply #3319 on: May 17, 2018, 04:12:11 AM »
I must admit I haven't heard the Barbirolli recording. How does that compare to the Boult (for example)? I seem to remember it's part of a 2 cd set. Another recording I have considered buying is the Vernon Handley . I like his VW cycle,generally.

Don't Like These Ads? Become a GMG Subscriber!
For as little as 14 cents per day, subscribers get no advertising on the forum, a larger Inbox for your PM's, and a warm glow of knowing you are supporting the forum. All this and a groovy Subscriber badge too!
Click here to read more.