Author Topic: Cabezón, Arauxo, Cabanilles etc etc  (Read 9728 times)

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
Re: Cabezón, Arauxo, Cabanilles etc etc
« Reply #60 on: July 11, 2017, 07:40:10 AM »

http://discmedi.com/es/disco/7840/antonio-de-cabeznn/entre-lo-sagrado-y-lo-mundano-ignacio-ribas-talnons--orgue-nrgano

Ignacio Ribas Talens' style of music making is probably too careful, too scholarly, too stiff, too controlled. But it is not tough and aggressive, on the contrary, he makes the the music appear sweet and poetic. What's more, these Andorra organs are the bees knees for Cabezon because of the colours. For once it's clear that Cabezon really wrote obras de música para tecla arpa y vihuela. Registrations are very well chosen to offer enough contrast in the voices to make the polyphony clear, without making one voice dominate the rest.

It had me strapped to my seat.

Returning to this has me in complete agreement, apart from the suggestion that he's too scholarly, I don't know why I may have thought that before. This is a really revealing approach to Cabezon and a really attractive one. 
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 07:46:34 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2017, 10:33:11 PM »

I'd say it's well worth hearing these Cabezon performances by Anne Landa, which are marked by a combination of seriousness, lyricism, introspection and tenderness. Not the slightest whiff of the Spanish Inquisition.  This is the sort of CD to hear late at night by candlelight . . .

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #62 on: September 20, 2017, 01:03:10 PM »

Nadine Balbeisi and Fernando Marín play music by Cabezon, Henestrosa, Ortiz, D'Upsala and many others who I've never come across before. All I can say is that it is gentle, introspective, beautiful and it opens up a new perspective on what early modern Spanish music can sound like. Worth hearing this one, for sure.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK