Author Topic: Andrej Eshpai (1925 - 2015)  (Read 2901 times)

Offline calyptorhynchus

Re: Andrej Eshpai (1925 - 2015)
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2016, 10:45:56 PM »
Eshpai's last symphony, No.8, now available on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baGLYrPMabE

It's a good one!

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2016, 12:30:13 AM »
Eshpai's last symphony, No.8, now available on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baGLYrPMabE

It's a good one!
Great news. Thanks. I love Symphony 5.
Have just listened to it. It is a fine work with a definite valedictory feel at the opening and close. I have heard a few of Eshpai's symphonies but this one, along with No.5, has made the greatest impression on me. No.4 is good too. Thanks very much for alerting us to this fine work.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 01:02:05 AM by vandermolen »
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline Scion7

• Veteran member
  • "A vér az élet."
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2016, 12:37:25 PM »
I'll have to check this guy out in more detail - some day.  But in the meantime, he be dead! Time to adjust the subject of the topic to reflect this, and merge with the later thread started by Weiland ......

Draws runes on floor, summons Administrator spirit-being . . . .

THESE GIRLS wish to thank you for the threads-merge, Gurn!!

« Last Edit: February 21, 2016, 01:08:35 PM by Scion7 »
If I could create an ideal world, it would be an England with the fire of the Elizabethans, the correct taste of the Georgians, and the refinement and pure ideals of the Victorians. - H.P. Lovecraft

Offline calyptorhynchus

« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2016, 10:24:45 PM »
Re the Symphony No.8, this is driving me nuts, which Bach fugue is it he quotes towards the end? I can't think which one it is.

Offline calyptorhynchus

« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2017, 01:50:59 PM »
And does anyone know what the words in the Symphony No.6 are?

Offline calyptorhynchus

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2017, 02:25:54 PM »
And another thing, I've just realised that the theme that begins the 8th Symphony, and which also occurs, or variants of it do, in his other works, is very similar to the main theme of Tapiola.

Eshpai makes his theme a bit more liturgical-sounding, but I think it has the same function, viz signifying the forests and the natural world generally.

I guess most probably this is a conscious reference by Eshpai, less likely I suppose is the notion that it might be a common Ugric melodic motif, descending into both Mari and Finnish folkmusic and used unconsciously by both composers!

Offline arpeggio

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2017, 06:29:37 PM »
Interesting new composer I have to check out    :)

Online CRCulver

« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2017, 12:21:48 PM »
I guess most probably this is a conscious reference by Eshpai, less likely I suppose is the notion that it might be a common Ugric melodic motif, descending into both Mari and Finnish folkmusic and used unconsciously by both composers!

While the Mari language and Finnish are related, there isn’t really any such thing as "Finno-Ugric music". All Uralic peoples tend to have music that is more similar to their non-Uralic-speaking neighbours than to distant Uralic relatives. (Much the same way as musicologists ridiculed the “Celtic music” tag in the 1990s as meaningless marketing.) If you are interested further, I’d point you to the introduction of Bereczki & Vikár's collection Cheremis Folksongs, as well as the introductions to the other collections of folksongs from the Volga-Kama area that they put out in the ’60s and ’70s.

As for the words in Esphai’s Symphony No.6, if you can provide text, I can translate them.

Offline calyptorhynchus

« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2017, 01:44:51 PM »
While the Mari language and Finnish are related, there isn’t really any such thing as "Finno-Ugric music". All Uralic peoples tend to have music that is more similar to their non-Uralic-speaking neighbours than to distant Uralic relatives. (Much the same way as musicologists ridiculed the “Celtic music” tag in the 1990s as meaningless marketing.) If you are interested further, I’d point you to the introduction of Bereczki & Vikár's collection Cheremis Folksongs, as well as the introductions to the other collections of folksongs from the Volga-Kama area that they put out in the ’60s and ’70s.

As for the words in Esphai’s Symphony No.6, if you can provide text, I can translate them.

I wasn't really being serious, though I would have thought that the folk-music of Finland and the area across to the Urals might share similarities (have the same preferred modes or scales or whatever).

Fraid I don't have the words for the Sixth, I 've just heard them.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK