Author Topic: Glazunov's glass of vodka  (Read 26653 times)

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
Re: Glazunov's glass of vodka
« Reply #180 on: October 17, 2018, 10:21:56 PM »
It's true, the 9th sounds like a promising work. Glazunov was seeking his most personal facet with his last symphonies.
Yes, I agree with that as well. No. 8 has a sense of tragedy about which is unlike any of the earlier symphonies, enjoyable as they are. The only movement of No.9 conveys great sadness I think.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #181 on: March 17, 2019, 12:50:20 AM »
Here is a fabulous newly released CD of Glazunov's music, beautifully remastered. The performance of the VC (Milstein/Steinberg, 1957) is the best I have heard. Symphony 2 is one of the best I think and the 1966 recordings of symphonies and 2 and 3 (USSR Ministry of Culture SO) under Rozhdestvensky are both terrific. Ansermet's 'Stenka Razin' from 1954 is beautifully atmospheric and, at times,  poetic - again my favourite version. Urania don't provide notes ('too expensive' they tell me) but there is an interesting photo included of Glazunov and Balakirev, the latter has (as far as I can tell) a demonic-looking cat sitting on his lap:

« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 12:53:26 AM by vandermolen »
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline Irons

« Reply #182 on: March 17, 2019, 02:11:30 AM »
Here is a fabulous newly released CD of Glazunov's music, beautifully remastered. The performance of the VC (Milstein/Steinberg, 1957) is the best I have heard. Symphony 2 is one of the best I think and the 1966 recordings of symphonies and 2 and 3 (USSR Ministry of Culture SO) under Rozhdestvensky are both terrific. Ansermet's 'Stenka Razin' from 1954 is beautifully atmospheric and, at times,  poetic - again my favourite version. Urania don't provide notes ('too expensive' they tell me) but there is an interesting photo included of Glazunov and Balakirev, the latter has (as far as I can tell) a demonic-looking cat sitting on his lap:

Classic Record Collector did a survey of Ansermet recordings, French was the largest group with 14 composers recorded. Surprisingly, the second largest group consists of Russian composers. Which is a long winded way of me agreeing that Ansermet is an excellent Glazunov conductor. His Decca LP of "The Seasons" and Concert Waltzes is top drawer.

I like the EMI/Melodiya recordings that came out in the 1970's. Particular favourites are 7th Symphony and Oriental Rhapsody with Fedoseyev/Dudarova and 4th Symphony and Poeme Lyrique/Cortége Solennel with Rachlin/Rozhdestvensky.

I have various recordings of VC but not Milstein. It does not surprise me though as being the best version.
So, no applause, please. Never applaud political slogans. Only applaud in a concert hall - and only if you like the performance. (Rostislav Dubinsky)

Offline Roasted Swan

« Reply #183 on: March 17, 2019, 05:54:12 AM »
Symphony 2 is one of the best I think and the 1966 recordings of symphonies and 2 and 3 (USSR Ministry of Culture SO) under Rozhdestvensky are both terrific.

Not doubting the quality of these performances.... but did the Ministry of Culture SO exist in 1966?  I thought it was an ensemble formed post the collapse of the Soviet Union. 1961-74 "his" orchestra between 61-74 was the Moscow RSO

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #184 on: March 17, 2019, 09:46:38 AM »
Not doubting the quality of these performances.... but did the Ministry of Culture SO exist in 1966?  I thought it was an ensemble formed post the collapse of the Soviet Union. 1961-74 "his" orchestra between 61-74 was the Moscow RSO

Not sure but that does ring true to me.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #185 on: March 17, 2019, 09:47:45 AM »
Classic Record Collector did a survey of Ansermet recordings, French was the largest group with 14 composers recorded. Surprisingly, the second largest group consists of Russian composers. Which is a long winded way of me agreeing that Ansermet is an excellent Glazunov conductor. His Decca LP of "The Seasons" and Concert Waltzes is top drawer.

I like the EMI/Melodiya recordings that came out in the 1970's. Particular favourites are 7th Symphony and Oriental Rhapsody with Fedoseyev/Dudarova and 4th Symphony and Poeme Lyrique/Cortége Solennel with Rachlin/Rozhdestvensky.

I have various recordings of VC but not Milstein. It does not surprise me though as being the best version.
That recording of the 7th Symphony on EMI/Melodiya was a wonderful performance.