Author Topic: Gabriel Fauré (Faure)  (Read 39492 times)

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
  • Currently Listening to:
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
Re: Gabriel Fauré (Faure)
« Reply #220 on: August 31, 2018, 07:59:54 PM »
Fauré definitely complained about people playing his music in an overly demure fashion.

And the cello sonatas are definitely pretty passionate affairs. Nevertheless, that particular recording is just too spiky in my opinion. Fauré needs flow. The sense of line is paramount.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
  • Van Gogh - Flowers in a Blue Vase
« Reply #221 on: September 01, 2018, 01:34:00 AM »
Fauré definitely complained about people playing his music in an overly demure fashion.

Am i right in presuming he made that complaint late in his life?

Fauré needs flow. The sense of line is paramount.

Fully agreed. "Aggressive" of "uncontrolled" are not at all on the same page as Fauré.
"Music expresses that which cannot be said and upon which it is impossible to remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
« Reply #222 on: September 01, 2018, 01:52:46 AM »
Am i right in presuming he made that complaint late in his life?

You made me go hunting. It appears to be something Marguerite Long reported him as saying, and she worked with him in roughly the first decade of the 20th century.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #223 on: September 01, 2018, 02:33:49 AM »
You made me go hunting. It appears to be something Marguerite Long reported him as saying, and she worked with him in roughly the first decade of the 20th century.

Thanks. Well, to me it sounds just like the right time for the shift from "the old musical outlook when music was still a vehicle for expression and when it was still permissible and not ridiculous to feel and disclose one's feelings" (Leonid Sabaneyev) to the new, (back then new, I mean), more objective, cold, restrained and detached outlook, which to an old guard like Fauré might indeed have appeared as demure. Needless to say, I'm with him all the way.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 02:36:21 AM by Florestan »
"Music expresses that which cannot be said and upon which it is impossible to remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Online Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #224 on: September 01, 2018, 03:08:57 AM »
Someone once told me that Jessica Duchen talks about how he wanted the music to be played in her book, I haven't read it. The early players like Hubeau didn't play particularly restrained way do they -- it's years since I listened to them.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #225 on: September 01, 2018, 03:39:34 AM »
Someone once told me that Jessica Duchen talks about how he wanted the music to be played in her book, I haven't read it. The early players like Hubeau didn't play particularly restrained way do they -- it's years since I listened to them.

On the topic of how he wanted his music to be played, Marguerite Long has this to say:

Nevertheless, the paradoxes in Fauré sometimes bewildered me. Despite his very great respect for tradition, he was much less intransigent when it came to his own compositions. He could even be disconcerting. During a rehearsal of one of his works, the conductor was not sure about a point in the score, so he asked Fauré, who replied apathetically: "Well, I don't really know." One day, arriving at my house unexpectedly, he found me at the piano, playing his Theme and Variations, which had just been given as a companion-piece at the Conservatoire, of which he was the Director. I said to him: "Will you let the ascending passage in the second-last variation be played in octaves?" "Oh, no," he said, "not in octaves. I forbid it. I detest that." Nonetheless, on the day of the competition he allowed it. Why? Because at heart he did not care. For him his work was like a bottle at sea. He had other points in common with Alfred de Vigny: a patrician turn of mind and the same indifference to the work once it had been completed.

Marguerite Long, in At the Piano with Gabriel Fauré (1963), pp. 70-71

Now that I think about it, it rather contradicts his complaining --- reported by the self same Marguerite Long --- about his music being played in an overly demure fashion. Go figure.  ???

« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 03:43:59 AM by Florestan »

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
« Reply #226 on: September 01, 2018, 04:02:03 AM »
I've seen some doubts expressed about just how reliable Mme. Long was as to facts... and apparently they had a bit of a falling out.

At the same time, I could well believe Faure being a bit of a contradictory person.

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
« Reply #227 on: September 01, 2018, 04:16:34 AM »
I could well believe Faure being a bit of a contradictory person.

I sometimes think that every great artist is a bit of a contradictory person, and that those who aren't a bit contradictory aren't actually great artists.  :D