The Nielsen Nexus

Started by BachQ, April 12, 2007, 10:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SymphonicAddict

Quote from: Moonfish on May 14, 2018, 08:26:09 PM
I'm amazed that there are 41 pages (so far) focusing on Nielsen's works!!!!!! Astounding! I had no idea that he had such a following here at GMG!  :o

They should be more for this fascinating composer, though  ;D

North Star

Quote from: SymphonicAddict on May 14, 2018, 08:39:38 PM
They should be more for this fascinating composer, though  ;D
But there are - 51 instead of 41 ;)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Mirror Image

Quote from: Moonfish on May 14, 2018, 08:26:09 PM
I'm amazed that there are 51 pages (so far) focusing on Nielsen's works!!!!!! Astounding! I had no idea that he had such a following here at GMG!  :o

Oh yes, consider me a hardcore Nielsen junkie and there are several of us here. I take it you're a fan, Peter? Any favorite works?

Moonfish

Quote from: North Star on May 14, 2018, 10:52:23 PM
But there are - 51 instead of 41 ;)

Errr, I only see 41 - an inside joke?  $:)  $:)
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Moonfish

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 15, 2018, 06:07:49 AM
Oh yes, consider me a hardcore Nielsen junkie and there are several of us here. I take it you're a fan, Peter? Any favorite works?

Mmm, the symphonies (esp 1, 2 and 4) and Helios Overture, but I'm not a Nielsen junkie (yet). I have had my eyes on the quartets for a while.....     :-\
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Karl Henning

Quote from: Moonfish on May 15, 2018, 06:29:21 AM
Errr, I only see 41 - an inside joke?  $:) $:)

Maybe the pagination differs, depending on how/whence one views the forum?

(Here on my desktop, my post has just started off p.52....)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: Moonfish on May 15, 2018, 06:31:41 AM
Mmm, the symphonies (esp 1, 2 and 4) and Helios Overture, but I'm not a Nielsen junkie (yet). I have had my eyes on the quartets for a while.....     :-\

No love for the 3rd or 5th symphonies? ??? Nielsen's SQs are 'okay' --- nothing really special. The best chamber work he wrote is the Wind Quintet, although I do like his Violin Sonata No. 2 a good bit.

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on May 15, 2018, 06:38:31 AM
Maybe the pagination differs, depending on how/whence one views the forum?

(Here on my desktop, my post has just started off p.52....)

Yep, we're now up to 52 pages, which is cool. 8)

North Star

Quote from: Moonfish on May 15, 2018, 06:29:21 AM
Errr, I only see 41 - an inside joke?  $:)  $:)
Well it's your own fault if you change the settings so that you view 25 posts, instead of the default 20, per page..

My photographs on Flickr

Mirror Image

Frankly, I'm tired of hearing about all this number of pages stuff...let's get back to the composer, shall we?

Karl Henning

I think practically all the chamber music expert.

http://www.youtube.com/v/vygYLDuJtP8
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Moonfish

Quote from: North Star on May 15, 2018, 06:46:34 AM
Well it's your own fault if you change the settings so that you view 25 posts, instead of the default 20, per page..

Ooops, I didn't even know. He he!  $:)

Which Nielsen works do you enjoy, North Star?
Anna Lappé

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

Peter, you've got to to give the 3rd, 5th, and 6th symphonies some more of your time. I threw in the 6th because I believe it's one of his finest symphonies. The 1st, 2nd, and 4th are actually my least favorite of the symphonic cycle. Also, check out the concerti. The Clarinet Concerto and the Flute Concerto are, to be quite blunt, extraordinary. The Violin Concerto is quite good, too, but is a bit more 'traditional' sounding, but it has an interesting structure and I absolutely adore the last movement --- such fun!

Moonfish

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 15, 2018, 07:21:23 AM
Peter, you've got to to give the 3rd, 5th, and 6th symphonies some more of your time. I threw in the 6th because I believe it's one of his finest symphonies. The 1st, 2nd, and 4th are actually my least favorite of the symphonic cycle. Also, check out the concerti. The Clarinet Concerto and the Flute Concerto are, to be quite blunt, extraordinary. The Violin Concerto is quite good, too, but is a bit more 'traditional' sounding, but it has an interesting structure and I absolutely adore the last movement --- such fun!

So much to explore...  :P
Anna Lappé

Mirror Image

Quote from: Moonfish on May 15, 2018, 07:32:22 AM
So much to explore...  :P

I know the feeling, but if Nielsen's 3rd or 5th don't do anything for you, then I'll have to just say you're not a fan of his music. That's how confident I am that you'll enjoy both of these symphonies immensely if you give them a chance. These are two pinnacle works of his oeuvre. If you don't feel a musical lightning bolt hit you in the last movement of the 5th, then I'm going to wonder if we're even listening to the same composer. ;) Bernstein is your man in both of these symphonies. It doesn't get any better, IMHO.

North Star

Quote from: Moonfish on May 15, 2018, 07:10:26 AM
Ooops, I didn't even know. He he!  $:)

Which Nielsen works do you enjoy, North Star?
The symphonies, and concertos, Rhapsody Overture, Helios Overture, Wind Quintet, Serenata in vano, Chaconne Op. 32, Theme and Variations Op. 40, Piano Suite 'Luciferian' Op. 45, Three Piano Pieces Op. 59. I'm sure there are some others too..

My photographs on Flickr

Madiel

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 15, 2018, 07:37:31 AM
I know the feeling, but if Nielsen's 3rd or 5th don't do anything for you, then I'll have to just say you're not a fan of his music.

::)
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

SurprisedByBeauty

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 13, 2017, 07:45:53 AM
Here's a question for the other Nielsenites here, how's Douglas Bostock's cycle? I've read some mixed reviews on his set. Some enjoy it, some say it's underpowered, some complain about the audio quality, etc., so what's the lowdown? Recommended?

Has anyone chimed in on this yet? It's one of the cycles I don't have, so I can't speak to it... but I, too, would be interested what people thought its merits might be. (My favorites are Schmidt and Gilbert, at this point... although I suspect that Gilbert treats Nielsen a bit like Colin Davis did Sibelius in Boston.)

Karl Henning

I find at all right, unexceptional.  My opinion is, that one needn't go out of one's way for it.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA