Author Topic: Buy from Amazon and earn GMG some pocket money  (Read 5405 times)

Offline Dungeon Master

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator
  • Head Honcho
Buy from Amazon and earn GMG some pocket money
« on: March 21, 2014, 12:36:43 AM »
Dear GMG members

Most of you may know that GMG is financially supported by links to Amazon. When you use an Amazon link from GMG, and then purchase something on Amazon, GMG gets a small commission (about 6%) at no extra cost to you. These commissions add up over the month, and I use earnings to run this website.

Those of you that subscribe also support the forum financially, and my forever thanks to you. One of the perks of being a subscriber is, however, that you no longer see ads, including the Amazon links.

Here is a list of Amazon links visible to all users. When you intend to buy something on Amazon, please consider using these links to get there. It costs you no more, and materially supports GMG.

I currently only have dealings with Amazon US, Canada and UK. The other international sites earn too little to make it worthwhile. If anyone is interested in buying from Amazon Italy, Spain, Germany, France, Japan, China, of India, let me know.

many thanks.
Rob

Amazon US

Amazon Canada

Amazon UK
 Macs are better. They just are.

Offline listener

• Veteran member
Re: Buy from Amazon and earn GMG some pocket money
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 11:05:34 PM »
Well timed post, I've been looking for an easy link and was shopping today.
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Offline Jay F

• Veteran member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 06:51:37 AM »
When we post an Amazon link to a particular CD, does GMG get the same amount it would get if we click the link in the OP? Also, is the discount good on everything purchased, or just the one item?

kishnevi

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 09:23:05 AM »
I have ordered from Amazon France, Amazon Spain, and Amazon Italy--not too often,  but as much as four or five times in a year (which is actually more than I order off of Amazon US itself, as opposed to Amazon Marketplace).  And certainly I'm not the only one.  (And Sarge of course orders from AmazonDE.)   I would suggest trying to get affiliate links with the European Amazons; it may be small compared to what GMG will get from Amazon US/UK, but every penny counts.  (Unless GMG would have to pay a fee upfront that doesn't make it worthwhile?)

Offline PaulSC

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 10:08:27 AM »
I have Amazon bookmarked, and l normally get there via a key command. The bookmarked link is http://amazon.com/o/redirect-home/goodmusicguideco — if I enter Amazon via this link and then browse extensively within the site, do my eventual purchases still benefit GMG?
Musik ist ein unerschöpfliches Meer. — Joseph Riepel

Offline Dungeon Master

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator
  • Head Honcho
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 02:21:44 PM »
When we post an Amazon link to a particular CD, does GMG get the same amount it would get if we click the link in the OP? Also, is the discount good on everything purchased, or just the one item?

Yes, any of the amazon links work, including the ASIN type "Click to buy" image links. Once you enter Amazon via a link from GMG, any and all purchases (even non-music items) made over the next 24 hours are credited as long as checkout is completed in 24 hours.

Somebody recently bought this item on amazon using a GMG link:

At $1300 it earned GMG almost $100 in one hit. Many thanks to the buyer!

Note that on my Amazon affiliate page I get a daily report of items bought using the GMG links, but no information as to the identity of the buyer. It is completely anonymous.

Offline Dungeon Master

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator
  • Head Honcho
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 02:28:06 PM »
I have Amazon bookmarked, and l normally get there via a key command. The bookmarked link is http://amazon.com/o/redirect-home/goodmusicguideco — if I enter Amazon via this link and then browse extensively within the site, do my eventual purchases still benefit GMG?

It's a great idea to use the GMG Amazon link as bookmark to Amazon. That way you don't even need to find a link on GMG each time, just click on your bookmark.

The link you have is an older style of link to Amazon, and I am not sure if it still works. If you have bought something recently (march) using that link, PM me with the item and I'll check if it has been credited.

Safest is to update bookmarks using the new style:
http://www.amazon.com/?tag=goodmusicguideco

Many thanks again to all who use amazon to help GMG!

Cheers
Rob

Offline Dungeon Master

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator
  • Head Honcho
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 02:32:32 PM »
I have ordered from Amazon France, Amazon Spain, and Amazon Italy--not too often,  but as much as four or five times in a year (which is actually more than I order off of Amazon US itself, as opposed to Amazon Marketplace).  And certainly I'm not the only one.  (And Sarge of course orders from AmazonDE.)   I would suggest trying to get affiliate links with the European Amazons; it may be small compared to what GMG will get from Amazon US/UK, but every penny counts.  (Unless GMG would have to pay a fee upfront that doesn't make it worthwhile?)

Regarding amazon Europe, I found that I only earned pennies each year from those links, and I need to earn a minimum of 10 Euro to get the credit. Credits expire after 12 months, so the European sites ever reached the 10euro threshold for payment.

Having said that, things may have changed. GMG is bigger and with a more global membership. I'll look into signing up with them again and post the links above.

Cheers
Rob

Offline Papy Oli

• Veteran member
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 02:32:55 PM »
Rob,

Does the commission work on items bought from Amazon MP as well, or does that apply to Amazon items only (I have used a bookmarked UK GMG link for a long while now but most of the purchases are from Marketplaces).

Also, it works even if the items have been in basket for a long while ?
Olivier

Offline Dungeon Master

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator
  • Head Honcho
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 02:49:24 PM »
Rob,

Does the commission work on items bought from Amazon MP as well, or does that apply to Amazon items only (I have used a bookmarked UK GMG link for a long while now but most of the purchases are from Marketplaces).

Also, it works even if the items have been in basket for a long while ?

GMG gets a commission for all items purchased, new, used and marketplace. Music and non-music.

However, the time sequence needs to be GMG --> amazon link --> amazon --> browse and put items into cart --> checkout and pay within 24 hours of first entering amazon via the link.

Also, if you put things into your cart via a GMG amazon link , then leave amazon for a few hours, the re-enter Amazon using a non-GMG link (eg simply typing in www.amazon.com), the GMG does not get credit for any of the items bought, even those put into the cart earlier.

The lesson is to enter Amazon using the GMG link every time, and complete checkout within 24 hours of entering the first time.

Offline Jay F

• Veteran member
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2014, 03:03:52 PM »
It's a great idea to use the GMG Amazon link as bookmark to Amazon. That way you don't even need to find a link on GMG each time, just click on your bookmark.

The link you have is an older style of link to Amazon, and I am not sure if it still works. If you have bought something recently (march) using that link, PM me with the item and I'll check if it has been credited.

Cheers
Rob

Thanks, Rob. I've put that on my Firefox bookmark toolbar, from which place I'll be sure to use it.

Ken B

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2014, 04:25:21 PM »

Cheers
Rob
Just to be sure. I bookmark my account page. I cannot bear Azon's main page, which jumps and reformats. But i got there via a link from here. That'll work?
Plus sometimes I follow an asin. So that'll work too?

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
  • Support your local Haydn Society
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
  • Currently Listening to:
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2014, 04:58:39 PM »

An easy way to find the link in a pinch if you haven't got it bookmarked, Brewski and myself have it in our signatures, and you can find it with any of our posts or our profiles. Since Brewski and I never post in the same threads, this gives maximum coverage. :D

8)
Help support GMG by purchasing from Amazon using this link

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Follow me on Twitter @GurnBlanston106

Offline Dungeon Master

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator
  • Head Honcho
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2014, 05:09:38 PM »
An easy way to find the link in a pinch if you haven't got it bookmarked, Brewski and myself have it in our signatures, and you can find it with any of our posts or our profiles. Since Brewski and I never post in the same threads, this gives maximum coverage. :D

8)

You guys are the best!

Cheers
Rob

Offline Dungeon Master

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator
  • Head Honcho
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2014, 05:14:32 PM »
Just to be sure. I bookmark my account page. I cannot bear Azon's main page, which jumps and reformats. But i got there via a link from here. That'll work?

Once you start browsing within Amazon, they strip away the gmg affiliate tag, so when you bookmark your Amazon Account page, it won't have the GMG tag attached. Therefore won't work next time you use the bookmark

Easy solution:
The Amazon account page is at https://www.amazon.com/gp/css/homepage.html/ref=topnav_ya

Simply manually edit that bookmark, by adding the /?tag=goodmusicguideco at the end of the URL and save it.

The bookmark should now read https://www.amazon.com/gp/css/homepage.html/ref=topnav_ya/?tag=goodmusicguideco

You still get to your account page, but now Gmg is credited with any purchase made from that visit.

Cheers
Rob

Offline Dungeon Master

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator
  • Head Honcho
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2014, 05:19:59 PM »

Yes, following any of the cd cover ASIN links will already have the GMG link built in.

Offline Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
  • Support your local Haydn Society
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2014, 05:54:04 PM »
You guys are the best!

Cheers
Rob

Back at'cha   0:)

8)
Help support GMG by purchasing from Amazon using this link

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Follow me on Twitter @GurnBlanston106

Offline Pat B

• Veteran member
  • A=430
« Reply #17 on: March 23, 2014, 06:12:56 PM »
Somebody recently bought this item on amazon using a GMG link:
At $1300 it earned GMG almost $100 in one hit. Many thanks to the buyer!

Ha! That would be me. It was obviously not via an affiliate tag, and I had no idea it would be counted as one, but glad to hear that it was.

Offline Dungeon Master

• Benevolent Dictator
  • Administrator
  • Head Honcho
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2014, 01:25:32 AM »
Ha! That would be me. It was obviously not via an affiliate tag, and I had no idea it would be counted as one, but glad to hear that it was.

You, too, are a champion! 

Once you click on an affiliate link, everything you put into your cart over the next 24 hours counts, as long as you complete checkout in that 24 hours.

Offline Henk

• Veteran member
    • My website
    Jazz, Beethoven, Mozart, Bach, Handel, Rossini, Chopin, Metal, Pop
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2014, 07:40:34 AM »
Rob, do you get paid per purchase or per order?
"New ears for new music" (Nietzsche, The Anti-christ)

My website