Author Topic: Beethoven's Piano Sonatas  (Read 417800 times)

Offline Marc

• Veteran member
  • Sine Cerere et Bach friget Venus
Re: Beethoven's Piano Sonatas
« Reply #3700 on: September 27, 2017, 02:42:06 AM »
This is precisely what I want to know, since I own the original release and wonder, if a purchase of the new bargain release is justified for the matter of sonic upgrading.

No remastering mentioned.

I did some reading about the Kovacevich recordings during the last years, and some reviewers mentioned the hard, direct and metallic sound. So that's what I expected.
My own experience until now: the early recordings are indeed rather harsh and metallic.
But the later ones sound good on my hifi set. Still direct, but warm and deep.

I think that, in general, the recordings match Kovacevich's own insights.
And I'm happy with the purchase, because it adds something different to my collection so far.
Help support the GMG Classical Music Forum by purchasing from Amazon using this link, this link, or this link

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #3701 on: September 27, 2017, 03:12:29 AM »
I have 3-4 of the single issues and am rather undecided about them. The low price of the new box is tempting, of course. In my experience the sound was not as bad as some claimed but not good either (and even less pleasant).
And while I generally like fast Beethoven (Gulda/Amadeo is still a great favorite in many sonatas) Kovacevich is sometimes too relentlessly fast and brutal for me. E.g the first movement of op.2/1 mentioned above is way too fast in my opinion. It should feel slower than the finale and while K is fast in the finale he is so faster in the first one. He is also often quite fast in slow movements.

Overall the older Philips recordings (only 8 sonatas + Diabellis and Bagatelles, though) have far more pleasant sound and they are more "balanced" (also more "mainstream") performances. The concertos with Davis are also very good.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 04:09:10 AM by Jo498 »
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline ørfeo

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
  • Currently Listening to:
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #3702 on: September 27, 2017, 03:23:42 AM »
I never had any issue with the sound at all.** In my view any aggression comes from the playing.

**Noting that some of the early recordings of the single issues were replaced by new ones in the box set.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline George

• Veteran member
  • Our DJ's Better Than All These Bands
« Reply #3703 on: September 27, 2017, 07:55:00 AM »
No remastering mentioned.

I did some reading about the Kovacevich recordings during the last years, and some reviewers mentioned the hard, direct and metallic sound. So that's what I expected.
My own experience until now: the early recordings are indeed rather harsh and metallic.
But the later ones sound good on my hifi set. Still direct, but warm and deep.

That hard, direct, metallic sound is certainly system dependent. And of course, the words themselves are subjective. What matters, I think it whether or not you like the performances and sound. And it sounds like you do.   
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #3704 on: September 28, 2017, 06:21:19 AM »
Another new cycle is set to launch: Volume 1, Opp 26, 27, & 28, from Maurizio Paciariello on Da Vinci Classics. 
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
  • Currently Listening to:
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #3705 on: October 10, 2017, 04:14:45 AM »
Beethoven Piano Sonata Cycle Survey updated: Richard Goode's 1993 Nonesuch cycle has been re-issued by Warner -- and, as has been mentioned here -- Kovacevich, too.

Beethoven Sonatas - A Survey of Complete Cycles
Part 4, 1990 - 1996

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK