Author Topic: Beethoven's Piano Sonatas  (Read 442726 times)

Offline Marc

• Veteran member
  • Sine Cerere et Bach friget Venus
Re: Beethoven's Piano Sonatas
« Reply #3760 on: October 31, 2017, 11:33:25 AM »
I'm not kidding, it arrived several hours after my email. If I had gotten a three paragraph reply 10 milliseconds after hitting send I would know that no human had seen it.  :)

I didn't think you were kidding... I just found the way you described it funny (in a positive way). :)
Help support the GMG Classical Music Forum by purchasing from Amazon using this link, this link, or this link

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #3761 on: November 01, 2017, 05:38:28 AM »
Unexpectedly, I heard back from the Beethoven Piano Society of Europe.  I explained that I was on a mission to collect all Beethoven piano sonata cycles, and that I needed some clarification as to how many times PBS recorded the cycle.  The reply from the administrator of BPSE (I excluded her name) more or less referenced the PBS web-site.  This sort of makes me conclude that PBS recorded two cycles only, which I already own.  Hopefully, DG will respond and offer definitive information regarding whether a Westminster set exists.

Hi Todd,

Thanks for your message. I believe the Intercord (12 LP) and the Gramola cycles are not the same. The first set is recorded in 1955 and the latter is recorded in 1969/70. And it seems Badura-Skoda recorded only separate sonatas for the Westminster Label.

You will find his discog of Beethoven recordings here. Hope this helps and good luck with your mission!

Best,
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Online George

• Veteran member
  • Our DJ's Better Than All These Bands
« Reply #3762 on: November 01, 2017, 07:39:23 AM »

"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
  • Currently Listening to:
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #3763 on: November 01, 2017, 10:07:57 AM »
Unexpectedly, I heard back from the Beethoven Piano Society of Europe.  I explained that I was on a mission to collect all Beethoven piano sonata cycles, and that I needed some clarification as to how many times PBS recorded the cycle.  The reply from the administrator of BPSE (I excluded her name) more or less referenced the PBS web-site.  This sort of makes me conclude that PBS recorded two cycles only, which I already own.  Hopefully, DG will respond and offer definitive information regarding whether a Westminster set exists.

Hi Todd,

Thanks for your message. I believe the Intercord (12 LP) and the Gramola cycles are not the same. The first set is recorded in 1955 and the latter is recorded in 1969/70. And it seems Badura-Skoda recorded only separate sonatas for the Westminster Label.

You will find his discog of Beethoven recordings here. Hope this helps and good luck with your mission!

Best,

Hmm.. we know this is false, because the head of Gramola told me that Gramola re-issued the Intercord cycle which was recorded at Vienna's Konzerthaus in 1970. This leaves the idea of a complete 1955 PBS cycle mysterious. I hope my interview sessions pan out (he's battling pancreatic cancer and the chemo's gotten him down); might be the only (or at least most realistic) chance to solve the mystery. ("The Case of the Missing Beethoven Sonatas"... Where was Mr. Doyle, when we needed him?)

Offline Pat B

• Veteran member
  • A=430
« Reply #3764 on: November 01, 2017, 02:15:37 PM »
I hope my interview sessions pan out (he's battling pancreatic cancer and the chemo's gotten him down); might be the only (or at least most realistic) chance to solve the mystery.

Seems like a moot point if they weren’t issued on vinyl and the tapes are not in UMG’s archives.

Pancreatic cancer. Not good. If you do talk to him, pass on some good wishes from GMG.

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #3765 on: November 06, 2017, 11:06:21 AM »
I actually heard back from DG:

We have not forgotten you ... but processing your request (#<redacted>) is still taking some time.

If you have any further comments on your request, please reply to this e-mail.

Best regards
Your Universal Music Team

Maybe I'll get some definitive info, after all.

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #3766 on: November 10, 2017, 08:39:02 AM »

Jean Muller's cycle is being reissued as a super-budget box.  Peter Roesel's cycle is being reissued as a super-premium UHQCD set, too.

• Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #3767 on: November 10, 2017, 02:11:52 PM »
I had a dream that I was chatting with Badura Skoda and we got on very well. When I launched into the Beethoven cycle question, he started laughing (sort of as though he'd heard that one a gazillion times before)... but I pulled through with my whole question all the same.

Unfortunately, in my dream he didn't answer the question or if he did, I don't recall. Then again, it still wouldn't be helpful, since it was only a dream, I suppose.  ;D

Parsifal

« Reply #3768 on: November 15, 2017, 09:15:05 PM »
I have a minor obsession with Paul Badura-Skoda recordings, a minor obsession with Beethoven Piano Sonata cycles, a minor obsession with obscure mono recordings and a minor obsession with the Westminster record label. Minor obsession to the forth power equals major obsession for this hypothesized PBD mono piano sonata cycle recorded in '53-55 on Westminster.

Having no faith that the DGG people could find it even if it existed, I tried another tack. I obtained the Schwann catalog of long playing records from November 1956 and from June 1960.

This would allow me to find all PBS recordings available in the U.S. at these two dates. By tabulating recordings from both dates I hoped to avoid missing albums which had not yet been released in 1956, and which might have gone out of print by 1960.

Alas, this is all I found:

Westminster 18274: Sonatas 8, 14, 23
Westminster 18210: Sonatas 15, 17
Westminster 18617: Sonatas 28, 30

The first two appeared in both catalogs, the last only appeared in the 1960 catalog. Incidentally, Westminster recorded made more Beethoven sonatas with other pianists, including Applebaum, Barenboim, Lewenthal, Lateiner and Petri, but did not have complete coverage of the cycle

Of course, this does not prove there is no PBS mono cycle, it merely fails to prove there is a PBS mono cycle. It is possible that other recordings were made but were not offered for sale in the U.S. and therefore didn't appear in the Schwann catalog.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 09:22:53 PM by Scarpia »

Offline Oldnslow

« Reply #3769 on: December 05, 2017, 01:34:30 PM »
Todd, can you comment on Peter Rosel's complete sonatas??  I recently got the  reissue on Berlin Classics of the popular sonatas  from 1980 and was very impressed. How is his later Japanese set? Thanks

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #3770 on: December 05, 2017, 02:17:39 PM »
Todd, can you comment on Peter Rosel's complete sonatas??  I recently got the  reissue on Berlin Classics of the popular sonatas  from 1980 and was very impressed. How is his later Japanese set? Thanks

See http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,23264.msg805932.html#msg805932

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #3771 on: December 05, 2017, 02:38:36 PM »
Deleted - posted in wrong thread -  :-[   ???  Dave ;)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 03:23:05 PM by SonicMan46 »

Offline Marc

• Veteran member
« Reply #3772 on: December 06, 2017, 03:36:58 AM »
Monteverdi, Claudio (1567-1643) - Madrigrals & Vespro dello Beata Vergine - selections from the CDs below - still reading about medieval & Renaissance music - Dave :)

And uhh... what about their Ludwigs?
Help support the GMG Classical Music Forum by purchasing from Amazon using this link, this link, or this link

Offline Holden

• Veteran member
« Reply #3773 on: December 06, 2017, 12:05:27 PM »
This idea suggests that a search of the Gramophone database might be the next step.

I have a minor obsession with Paul Badura-Skoda recordings, a minor obsession with Beethoven Piano Sonata cycles, a minor obsession with obscure mono recordings and a minor obsession with the Westminster record label. Minor obsession to the forth power equals major obsession for this hypothesized PBD mono piano sonata cycle recorded in '53-55 on Westminster.

Having no faith that the DGG people could find it even if it existed, I tried another tack. I obtained the Schwann catalog of long playing records from November 1956 and from June 1960.

This would allow me to find all PBS recordings available in the U.S. at these two dates. By tabulating recordings from both dates I hoped to avoid missing albums which had not yet been released in 1956, and which might have gone out of print by 1960.

Alas, this is all I found:

Westminster 18274: Sonatas 8, 14, 23
Westminster 18210: Sonatas 15, 17
Westminster 18617: Sonatas 28, 30

The first two appeared in both catalogs, the last only appeared in the 1960 catalog. Incidentally, Westminster recorded made more Beethoven sonatas with other pianists, including Applebaum, Barenboim, Lewenthal, Lateiner and Petri, but did not have complete coverage of the cycle

Of course, this does not prove there is no PBS mono cycle, it merely fails to prove there is a PBS mono cycle. It is possible that other recordings were made but were not offered for sale in the U.S. and therefore didn't appear in the Schwann catalog.
Cheers

Holden

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #3774 on: December 06, 2017, 03:21:27 PM »
And uhh... what about their Ludwigs?

Thanks Marc - obviously I posted in the wrong thread - will delete and put in the listening one -  :-[ ;D  Dave
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 06:54:26 AM by SonicMan46 »

Offline Marc

• Veteran member
« Reply #3775 on: December 06, 2017, 10:12:39 PM »
Thanks Marc - obviously I posted in the wrong thread - will delete and put the the listening one -  :-[ ;D  Dave

It's OK. I like Monteverdi, too. :)

Offline Oldnslow

« Reply #3776 on: December 15, 2017, 05:03:39 AM »
Todd--what do you know of the set by Martin Rasch being released soon on Audite (may be a reissue from another label)--I don't see him on your list. Presto Classical lists it on their future releases. It is a cheap set

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #3777 on: December 15, 2017, 05:47:26 AM »
Todd--what do you know of the set by Martin Rasch being released soon on Audite (may be a reissue from another label)--I don't see him on your list. Presto Classical lists it on their future releases. It is a cheap set

All I know is that it was released in Germany last month and will be released in other markets in the next few months.  I'll probably buy it at the start of the year.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 05:57:18 AM by Todd »

• Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
« Reply #3778 on: December 15, 2017, 06:37:42 AM »

Not much out there yet. Some technical info, FYI.

Erste Aufnahme: August 2014

Letzte Aufnahme: August 2016

Aufnahmeort: Hochschule für Musik und Theater München, Großer Konzertsaal

Instrument: Steinway D

Recording Producer: Christian Böhm

Executive Producer: Dipl.-Tonmeister Ludger Böckenhoff

Not much on the website, either.

https://www.audite.de/en/product/9CD/21451-ludwig_van_beethoven_the_complete_piano_sonatas.html
https://www.pianist-rasch.de/
A bit more here: https://www.pianist-rasch.de/beethoven-sonaten/

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #3779 on: December 15, 2017, 07:03:12 AM »
Aber Ich hoffe dass er nicht zu rasch spielt  :)
Tiden læger alle sår,
heldigt nok at tiden går.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK