Author Topic: Beethoven's Piano Sonatas  (Read 470581 times)

Offline Alek Hidell

• Currently Listening to:
    Jazz and classical
Re: Beethoven's Piano Sonatas
« Reply #3940 on: February 10, 2018, 09:18:42 PM »
I have one thing to say about this Colombo guy: God, what an awful-looking website he has. ??? Looks like something that would have been considered bad web design even by 1997 standards.

Just based on that, I think I can get a pretty good idea of his artistic integrity ...
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
  • Currently Listening to:
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #3941 on: February 11, 2018, 01:40:48 AM »
I've learned -- not quite, but getting there -- to disassociate any sense of aesthetic outside of music (web-design, sleeve art, fonts, clothing et al.) from artistic ability and taste. It's not a very good indicator, strangely. But you are right, an appalling first impression and seeming total disregard of detail doesn't look to be boding well.

Offline Mahlerian

• Veteran member
« Reply #3942 on: February 11, 2018, 09:04:58 AM »
I have one thing to say about this Colombo guy: God, what an awful-looking website he has. ??? Looks like something that would have been considered bad web design even by 1997 standards.

Just based on that, I think I can get a pretty good idea of his artistic integrity ...

Eesh, that is ugly all right.
"l do not consider my music as atonal, but rather as non-tonal. I feel the unity of all keys. Atonal music by modern composers admits of no key at all, no feeling of any definite center." - Arnold Schoenberg

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #3943 on: February 11, 2018, 09:22:49 AM »
It fell off my radar since it's incomplete, at least for now, but Robert Silverman's set of 23 sonatas recorded in 2010 is available as a free MP3 192 Kbps download at AudioHigh.  They sell CD quality, high res, and MQA downloads as well, and supposedly, if demand is high enough, the remaining nine sonatas will be released later.

(That makes this like Ooi's cycle: a complete cycle incompletely released.)
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #3944 on: February 15, 2018, 06:25:37 AM »

Tom Beghin's second recorded op 111, which is one of the more stimulating and inspiring and thought provoking op 111s I know.

He's very good at bringing out the contrapuntal nature of the first few variations. What I mean is that a large part  of the value comes from the way the voices intertwine and respond to each other, at least in the variations before the trills. He's helped because his instrument has a powerful and colourful bass register. You can feel the bass, hear it vibrate and resonate, it's visceral.

In the final trilling variations Beghin makes me feel as though Beethoven's pushing the boundaries of harmony to a sort of limit, that he's taking us to a musical limit. A sense of striving, searching for something new and strange.

In the first movement there's an memorable sense of  incompleteness and undecidedness at the end. throughout  the movement there are lots  of contratsts, contrasts between energy and repose, between extroversion and inwardness, ebb and flow, stop and start
« Last Edit: February 15, 2018, 06:27:36 AM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK