Author Topic: Beethoven's Piano Sonatas  (Read 489562 times)

Offline Holden

• Veteran member
Re: Beethoven's Piano Sonatas
« Reply #3980 on: April 09, 2018, 03:09:37 AM »
This performance can be heard on Spotify.
Cheers

Holden

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #3981 on: April 09, 2018, 04:24:20 AM »
This performance can be heard on Spotify.

In my country (and probably many others) Spotify is unavailable.
Tiden læger alle sår,
heldigt nok at tiden går.

Offline Marc

• Veteran member
  • Sine Cerere et Bach friget Venus
« Reply #3982 on: April 09, 2018, 08:22:02 AM »
Help support the GMG Classical Music Forum by purchasing from Amazon using this link, this link, or this link

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #3983 on: April 09, 2018, 12:55:19 PM »
Premont, are you really sure?

https://support.spotify.com/us/using_spotify/the_basics/full-list-of-territories-where-spotify-is-available/

I registered at Spotify some months ago and got the message, that Spotify was not available in my country, but Spotify would notify me when (or maybe if) it became available. This is what I know. I attempted to listen to or purchase a recording and got the same result.
Tiden læger alle sår,
heldigt nok at tiden går.

Offline Marc

• Veteran member
  • Sine Cerere et Bach friget Venus
« Reply #3984 on: April 09, 2018, 08:53:37 PM »
I registered at Spotify some months ago and got the message, that Spotify was not available in my country, but Spotify would notify me when (or maybe if) it became available. This is what I know. I attempted to listen to or purchase a recording and got the same result.

Very strange indeed.

https://www.spotify.com/dk/

https://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/news/1163725/spotify-launches-in-denmark-its-ninth-country

(Apologies to the Beethoven fans for getting off-topic.)
Help support the GMG Classical Music Forum by purchasing from Amazon using this link, this link, or this link

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #3985 on: April 13, 2018, 04:59:10 AM »
I have listened to a few volumes of Llyr Williams' new cycle while my ISP refuses to let me see GMG. Honestly, despite high expectations - producer Judith Sherman is a reliable marker of high quality - I am not sure I will be continuing. Williams is certainly a fine pianist, but his main interpretive trait is to play slowly, as if exercising caution. Probably most of his tempos are similar to Gilels, but without the romantic warmth. I am awfully fond of the Eroica Variations, for example, and wish more pianists would include it in their sonata cycles, but at about 11:45 in this performance I thought, "Wow, this piece is super long, huh?" It's interesting to hear even very classical works like Op. 79 getting the same treatment (slow movement there is quite distinctive) but then the pieces which sit right on the stylistic fault line that runs through Beethoven from roughly Op. 22-31 are a problem, because you can't hear that duality. They're a wee bit tame.

Offline Jeffrey Smith

• Veteran member
    • Flickr photostream
« Reply #3986 on: April 13, 2018, 04:24:21 PM »
I have listened to a few volumes of Llyr Williams' new cycle while my ISP refuses to let me see GMG. Honestly, despite high expectations - producer Judith Sherman is a reliable marker of high quality - I am not sure I will be continuing. Williams is certainly a fine pianist, but his main interpretive trait is to play slowly, as if exercising caution. Probably most of his tempos are similar to Gilels, but without the romantic warmth. I am awfully fond of the Eroica Variations, for example, and wish more pianists would include it in their sonata cycles, but at about 11:45 in this performance I thought, "Wow, this piece is super long, huh?" It's interesting to hear even very classical works like Op. 79 getting the same treatment (slow movement there is quite distinctive) but then the pieces which sit right on the stylistic fault line that runs through Beethoven from roughly Op. 22-31 are a problem, because you can't hear that duality. They're a wee bit tame.

Thanks. You make me feel better about not ordering it. Arkivmusic is highlighting it for their sale this week.

Niw, let's see if my ISP lets me post this....

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #3987 on: April 14, 2018, 11:58:22 AM »

While listening to Georg Friedrich Schenck's speedy and energetic 2/3 & 106 disc from 2000 on Piano Classics, I read in the liner notes that the pianist recorded the complete cycle in 1987/88.  I've not found the complete set, but I did find this disc.  There could be another OOP set out there just begging to be hunted down.
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
  • Currently Listening to:
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #3988 on: April 14, 2018, 12:05:39 PM »

While listening to Georg Friedrich Schenck's speedy and energetic 2/3 & 106 disc from 2000 on Piano Classics, I read in the liner notes that the pianist recorded the complete cycle in 1987/88.  I've not found the complete set, but I did find this disc.  There could be another OOP set out there just begging to be hunted down.

Woha! Todd is like a truffle pig of Beethoven sonata cycles.  ;D

Meanwhile, I've added the Martin Roscoe cycle to the LvB Sonata Cycle Survey. Finished but not yet completely released:

Beethoven Sonatas - A Survey of Complete Cycles
Part 8, 2010 - 2013