Author Topic: Beethoven's Piano Sonatas  (Read 356351 times)

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
Re: Beethoven's Piano Sonatas
« Reply #3600 on: May 17, 2017, 05:19:35 AM »
Yes, I saw the three disc set labeled volume one.  As far as I can tell, that's all he has recorded. 
The universe is change; life is opinion.   Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #3601 on: May 17, 2017, 08:53:46 AM »

One of the unavailable sonata cycles is now available as an MP3 download from Amazon for $0.99. 

Offline Oldnslow

« Reply #3602 on: May 17, 2017, 02:59:50 PM »
Bellucci recorded the Hammerklavier a few years ago, to fine reviews by Bryce Morrison of grammaphone, for what that is worth. The coming recordings are all new apparantly

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #3603 on: May 17, 2017, 04:52:39 PM »
I did some quick A/Bs between the MP3 Op 10/1 and the FLAC of the same from the Taub set.  (I've had volume two for a while.)  Sonically, the MP3 is a bit softer and less clear in high frequencies and dynamics sound more compressed.  In other words, more or less what usually happens.  The sound quality is more than good enough, though.  While doing the comps, I thought it might make sense to try some MP3s from Michael Ponti.

Offline George

• Veteran member
  • No One In The Whole Universe Will Ever Compare
« Reply #3604 on: May 17, 2017, 05:24:17 PM »
I did some quick A/Bs between the MP3 Op 10/1 and the FLAC of the same from the Taub set.  (I've had volume two for a while.)  Sonically, the MP3 is a bit softer and less clear in high frequencies and dynamics sound more compressed.  In other words, more or less what usually happens.  The sound quality is more than good enough, though.  While doing the comps, I thought it might make sense to try some MP3s from Michael Ponti.

How about Taub's playing? Third tier?
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #3605 on: May 17, 2017, 05:28:16 PM »
How about Taub's playing? Third tier?

I'll have to listen to the whole set first.  I think it is safe to say that he will be neither top nor bottom tier, though.  I do look forward to listening to his Op 106, which is one of the fastest on record, both in the opening movement and overall.

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #3606 on: May 19, 2017, 12:39:14 PM »

I'll have to listen to the whole set first.  I think it is safe to say that he will be neither top nor bottom tier, though.  I do look forward to listening to his Op 106, which is one of the fastest on record, both in the opening movement and overall.

It's fast only partly because of his tempi and mostly because he rushes through a lot of passages. Sloppy finger work, too. I would avoid.

Offline bwv 1080

• Veteran member
« Reply #3607 on: May 19, 2017, 12:47:57 PM »
Damn, Taub comes in about 2 minutes faster than the versions I have.  Much of it does seem rushed or else he thinks he is playing Lizst. 

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/eJMyeB6nVUc" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/eJMyeB6nVUc</a>
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #3608 on: May 19, 2017, 01:31:14 PM »
It's fast only partly because of his tempi and mostly because he rushes through a lot of passages. Sloppy finger work, too. I would avoid.

I already spent the one dollar, though.  I must listen!

Offline PerfectWagnerite

• Veteran member
« Reply #3609 on: May 19, 2017, 03:53:24 PM »

How about op 111? The fastest one I know is Nat at 19+ minutes.

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #3610 on: May 19, 2017, 03:56:03 PM »
How about op 111? The fastest one I know is Nat at 19+ minutes.

His Op 111 is a bit on the broad side at 28'+.

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #3611 on: May 23, 2017, 11:07:20 PM »
I want to make a list of op 106 recordings on authentic pianos. There's

Stephan Moeller
Peter Serkin
Paul Badura Skoda
Andrea Lucchessini (unpublished concert performance)
Andrew Willis
Malcolm Binns
Ronald Brautigam

Anyone else?
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #3612 on: May 23, 2017, 11:16:10 PM »
Did Peter Serkin record op 106 on a modern piano?

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #3613 on: Today at 12:22:59 AM »
Yes, he did: https://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Piano-Sonata-No-Hammerklavier/dp/B00080M8GG

Bit hard to come by these days though. I'd call it one of my reference 106s.

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #3614 on: Today at 12:58:22 AM »
I keep Peter Serkin's historical piano recording (of the last 6 sonatas) around in the hope that some day I might get over the atrocious sound of the instrument. But so far it is sufficiently distracting so often that I cannot really enjoy this set.
Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
  • sic transit gloria mundi
    • ubu's notizen
  • Currently Listening to:
    all music
« Reply #3615 on: Today at 01:20:07 AM »
Any opinions on Hans Richter-Haaser's Beethoven sonatas? Not a complete cycle, but there's plenty between these two sets here:

I've started listening in depth yet. Bought the Schubert disc that's available on EMI/Warner and liking it a lot, I went looking for what else is out there ... seems he even disappeared from the Joachim Kaiser's pianists book (Tully Potter in his very informative liners to the Decca/Eloquence set mentions that, I think ... he was in the sixties edition but then no longer turned up in later ones).
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #3616 on: Today at 09:02:39 AM »
Yes, he did: https://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Piano-Sonata-No-Hammerklavier/dp/B00080M8GG

Bit hard to come by these days though. I'd call it one of my reference 106s.

Yes someone's let me have it, I don't know what to make of this sonata any more, I feel a bit disoriented by Stephan Möller on the Bosendorfer, which I like. But I like Backhaus too so . . . total confusion!
« Last Edit: Today at 09:05:11 AM by Mandryka »

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #3617 on: Today at 09:04:16 AM »
Any opinions on Hans Richter-Haaser's Beethoven sonatas? Not a complete cycle, but there's plenty between these two sets here:

I've started listening in depth yet. Bought the Schubert disc that's available on EMI/Warner and liking it a lot, I went looking for what else is out there ... seems he even disappeared from the Joachim Kaiser's pianists book (Tully Potter in his very informative liners to the Decca/Eloquence set mentions that, I think ... he was in the sixties edition but then no longer turned up in later ones).

I recall an exceptional op 2/something and an exceptional op 106 and the Diabelli Variations are good too. The op 110 really was the thing that put me on to him. I get the feeling he was an outstanding pianist, I've never met anyone who doesn't appreciate his art. He's Apollo not Dionysius.
« Last Edit: Today at 09:21:08 AM by Mandryka »

Offline Holden

• Veteran member
« Reply #3618 on: Today at 02:29:59 PM »
My first recording of Op2/1, 2/2 were Richter-Haaser on LP and I imprinted on them and also thought they were excellent. The OP 77 G minor Fantasia was also included. Later on I bought the red box set and still think those three performances are great, especially Op2/2. The rest of his Beethoven is also very good. Not sure which tier Todd would put them on.
Cheers

Holden

Offline Todd

• Veteran member
« Reply #3619 on: Today at 03:02:02 PM »

I've heard only the EMI, and I agree with Mandryka that the Op 2 sonatas are superb, and Op 31 is very good.  The late sonatas are a bit slow, and the 106 opener has the disadvantage of being slow and repeatless (don't let the timing mislead you into thinking the pianist hits Beethoven's metronome markings).  Definitely more classical than romantic in approach.  Based on what I've heard, third tier for me.

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK