Author Topic: J.S. Bach on the Organ  (Read 379216 times)

Offline André

• Veteran member
Re: J.S. Bach on the Organ
« Reply #2780 on: September 25, 2018, 03:54:31 AM »
A pity that one has got to accept a whole Glass CD too.

I have listened to some clips. The organ is a typical post-war equally tuned German all round organ, which adds a degree of colorlessness to Bach's music. The interpretation is informed but other than that rather run-of-the-mill. I choose to pass it by.

Thanks for the comment. Actually I might order it, as it is part of a special 3disc offer at JPC and the item I’m really interested in (the Braunfels disc) is available singly at a much higher price. IOW the Bach/Glass would be a « bonus », so to speak  :)

Offline (: premont :)

• Veteran member
« Reply #2781 on: September 25, 2018, 04:06:01 AM »
And according to the booklet Astronio played the organ chorales on an organ made by Verschueren Orgelbouw in 2002, in a place called St Paolo in the South Tyrol. The "Radiokapelle St. Benedikt Convento Muri-Gries di Bolzano" was where they recorded the singing, but the booklet doesn't mention the organ there.

Thanks, we must believe the booklet. But except stating, that there is Verschueren organ there:

https://orgeln.musikland-tirol.at/ob/Verschueren.html

I can't find other information of this organ. It is not mentioned on Verschueren's home page.
Tiden læger alle sår,
heldigt nok at tiden går.

• Veteran member
« Reply #2782 on: September 25, 2018, 04:08:33 AM »
IOW the Bach/Glass would be a « bonus », so to speak  :)

Well, that puts the question in another light, I think.
Tiden læger alle sår,

Offline Marc

• Veteran member
  • Sine Cerere et Bach friget Venus
« Reply #2783 on: September 25, 2018, 04:18:57 AM »

Thanks, we must believe the booklet. But except stating, that there is Verschueren organ there:

https://orgeln.musikland-tirol.at/ob/Verschueren.html

I can't find other information of this organ. It is not mentioned on Verschueren's home page.

I think it is mentioned on their site, probably opus 1084.

http://www.verschuerenorgelbouw.nl/nl/orgels/98-opuslijst.html

If that's the one, I think it's the Verschueren-Schwalbennestorgel (2002) an der Südwand Langhaus der Pfarrkirche St. Paolo, Eppan, South Tirol, Italy.

http://www.pauls-sakral.eu/de/orgellandschaft/pfarrkirche-st-paulseppan/index.html
Help support the GMG Classical Music Forum by purchasing from Amazon using this link, this link, or this link

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #2784 on: September 25, 2018, 04:40:21 AM »

Well, that puts the question in another light, I think.

In a way, yes. But if it had been bad I would have given it a pass, concentrating instead on acquiring the Braunfels later. The french works disc is of no interest to me (who wants to hear the 2 L’Arlésienne suites on organ  ???  ?). So it all came down to that Bach/Glass twofer. I must admit I like Glass and wouldn’t mind exploring that facet of his oeuvre.

• Veteran member
« Reply #2785 on: September 25, 2018, 08:59:25 AM »
I think it is mentioned on their site, probably opus 1084.

http://www.verschuerenorgelbouw.nl/nl/orgels/98-opuslijst.html

If that's the one, I think it's the Verschueren-Schwalbennestorgel (2002) an der Südwand Langhaus der Pfarrkirche St. Paolo, Eppan, South Tirol, Italy.

http://www.pauls-sakral.eu/de/orgellandschaft/pfarrkirche-st-paulseppan/index.html

Thanks, you are certainly right.

How did you find the Pauls-sacral site?
Tiden læger alle sår,

Offline Marc

• Veteran member
« Reply #2786 on: September 25, 2018, 11:13:42 AM »

Thanks, you are certainly right.

How did you find the Pauls-sacral site?

After finding the instrument on the Verschueren site, i searched at Google on Verschueren Epan Orgel. It was the 4th or 5th link.
Help support the GMG Classical Music Forum by purchasing from Amazon using this link, this link, or this link

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #2787 on: September 25, 2018, 12:28:03 PM »

Here’s a good modern organ for Bach, the Caspirini inspired organ at Rochester USA (it’s rather more attractive than the one Asrronio uses for the Leipzig Chorales.) I’ve been listening to it over the past couple of days and the performances are just about listenable.

Re Astronio’s Leipzig Chorales I’ve listened to the first CD, it’s a bit brash, and a bit tough, not very spiritual. The organ hasn’t got much gravitas, or indeed bass. The registrations he uses don’t seem specially imaginative or expressive.

Astronio can talk the talk but I am not so sure he can walk the walk. When I read

I allowed myself to improvise some divisions in the ritornelli, such as the extraordinary sarabande of "Schmuecke dich.." and its fantastic image of the sould intent on adorning itself to be pre-sentable to God

I was expecting something a bit more exciting and imaginative than what I got. I’ll listen to the second CD before the end of the week.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 12:36:32 PM by Mandryka »
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #2788 on: December 06, 2018, 09:07:10 AM »

Does anyone know anything about the organ Thierry Mechler is using here? It sounds clean and new, transparent. Well recorded. First impressions are that the performances are what Don used to call "celebratory" --  very pleasant and easy to listen to.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 09:18:04 AM by Mandryka »

Offline Marc

• Veteran member
« Reply #2789 on: December 08, 2018, 10:27:14 AM »

Does anyone know anything about the organ Thierry Mechler is using here? It sounds clean and new, transparent. Well recorded. First impressions are that the performances are what Don used to call "celebratory" --  very pleasant and easy to listen to.

Wow. It took me some time to find out.
Apparently, it's the Didier organ (1923) of the Basilique de Thierenbach, France (Alsace). Restored in 2010-2012 (?) by Manufacture d'Orgues MUHLEISEN in Strasbourg. It looks as if a Rückwerk was added.

Here are some pics with added information:

« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 10:29:00 AM by Marc »

• Veteran member
« Reply #2790 on: December 08, 2018, 10:52:50 AM »
Wow. It took me some time to find out.
Apparently, it's the Didier organ (1923) of the Basilique de Thierenbach, France (Alsace). Restored in 2010-2012 (?) by Manufacture d'Orgues MUHLEISEN in Strasbourg. It looks as if a Rückwerk was added.

Excellent work.Hats off.

How did you find out? The organ isn't mentioned on any of the sites, where the CÜ III can be downloaded.
Tiden læger alle sår,

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #2791 on: December 08, 2018, 11:34:41 AM »
Thanks Marc. I should have guessed, I can see on his website that he is "Organiste titulaire de la Philharmonie de Cologne et de la Basilique de Thierenbach."

It's a fun recording, it's not deep and the organ doesn't have the magic patina of an old one, but he plays with such joy and healthiness and simplicity, frankness,  that it's kind of irresistible! 
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 12:05:42 PM by Mandryka »

Offline Marc

• Veteran member
« Reply #2792 on: December 08, 2018, 11:39:15 AM »
Excellent work.Hats off.

How did you find out? The organ isn't mentioned on any of the sites, where the CÜ III can be downloaded.

Yeah, I discovered that, too. And it's also not mentioned not on Mechler's own website, another example of a sloppy and not-so-informative website of a musician by the way.
However, I found this text on Mechler's Facebook site, even though it was difficult to scroll down and searching information, being not a Facebook member.

Six ans après mon dernier album, j’ai le plaisir de vous annoncer la sortie de mon nouvel album « Clavier-Übung III » le vendredi 22 juin 2018 sur toutes les plateformes digitales (iTunes, Apple Music, Spotify, Deezer, … ) avec mon label Tonalis Records ! Il s’agit d’un enregistrement de la Messe luthérienne de Jean Sébastien Bach aux orgues de la Basilique Notre-Dame de Thierenbach.

After that, I managed to find a few sites with information about the instrument.

For those interested, here's the final fugue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aecOT2vyesY
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 11:40:53 AM by Marc »

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
  • Currently Listening to:
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #2793 on: December 09, 2018, 12:03:35 AM »

#morninglistening & #Thanksgiving to magnificent #Bach. #Clavierbüchlein 1-4 on @OehmsClassics

: http://a-fwd.to/2HEWtSJ

w/@BachChor; performed and transcribed (where necessary) by #HansJörgAlbrecht

I find transcriptions TO the organ, such as those of the GVs and the Partitas, rather more difficult to pull off than going in the reverse... from organ (aerophone) to, say, harpsichord or piano (percussive).

Offline Mandryka

• Veteran member
« Reply #2794 on: December 09, 2018, 12:56:36 AM »
In fact Thierry Mechler plays the Goldberg Variations on an organ, and he’s proud enough of it to have released it as a recording! I haven’t heard it.