Author Topic: Cato's Grammar Grumble  (Read 345258 times)

Online Sergeant Rock

• Veteran member
Re: Cato's Grammar Grumble: Kennel Konundrum + Curious Aksayents
« Reply #4380 on: June 15, 2018, 01:32:31 PM »
Has anyone ever seen or heard "kennel" being used as a synonym for "cage" ?

Check out Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dog+kennel

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
« Reply #4381 on: June 15, 2018, 02:16:06 PM »
Check out Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=dog+kennel

Sarge

Interesting: I wonder if "cage" has become too primitive for our dog-obsessed populace, and so the Yuppies cannot bear the thought of putting their pooches in a "cage"!  8)   ;)
COWBOY (sitting down to a poker game for the first time): "Is this a game of chance?!"

- W. C. FIELDS  (as Cuthbert Twillie): "Uhh, not the way I play it, no." in  My Little Chickadee.

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • The Age of the Wanker is upon us
    • kenBlogic
  • Currently Listening to:
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #4382 on: June 15, 2018, 04:43:29 PM »
Interesting: I wonder if "cage" has become too primitive for our dog-obsessed populace, and so the Yuppies cannot bear the thought of putting their pooches in a "cage"!  8)   ;)

The daughter in law bought a dog ( :( ) We have both a “crate” and a “pen”. I searched Amazon for “blender” but found none big enough.
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
« Reply #4383 on: June 15, 2018, 05:04:21 PM »
The daughter in law bought a dog ( :( ) We have both a “crate” and a “pen”. I searched Amazon for “blender” but found none big enough.

Don't get me started!  My son and daughter-in-law have 3 (THREE!!!) big, dumb, shedding, slobbering dogs, and have spent way too much money on cages, crates, pens, and "doggie day-care," i.e. a kennel!  ;)

COWBOY (sitting down to a poker game for the first time): "Is this a game of chance?!"

- W. C. FIELDS  (as Cuthbert Twillie): "Uhh, not the way I play it, no." in  My Little Chickadee.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
Re: Cato's Grammar Grumble
« Reply #4384 on: June 16, 2018, 01:51:24 AM »

Try key word pooch processor
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline zamyrabyrd

• Veteran member
  • selig sind
« Reply #4385 on: June 16, 2018, 06:30:36 AM »
The car radio often has "Country Music" from a local radio station: two songs played (too often) offer "singers"  who somehow manage to twist three or four sounds out of one vowel!

One example:   a woman "singer"  (I do not know her name or the name of the song)  somehow pronounces "closet" as "clu-au-zet" (with an up-and-down wiggle on the "au") and then makes it "ram" (rhyme) with "lost it"  (lu-au-stit).  A second troubadour is able to spit out the word "ice" so that it is a homonym with the three-letter word for the donkey-like animal which carried Jesus into Jerusalem!  :o ???  Another is able to make "dance" come out as "da-yunz" (the "a" as in "as") and make it rhyme with "fra-yunz" (i.e. "friends").

I am writing without source material, only from memory right now, so there may be some errors. When I was more into phonetics I read some articles about language shifts once they crossed the pond from East to West. Some of the results in English were dipthongization (in your example, more like tripthong or even more) and palatization. (Maybe there are some linguists here who actually know the subject better than I do.)

Lengthening vowels has a built in tendency for their integrity to be altered but it is not impossible to resist that trend with some prodding by a voice teacher, in my case, who patiently corrected me everytime I slid from an eh to ayyy.
"I write to discover what I know."
 ― Flannery O'Connor

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #4386 on: June 16, 2018, 07:06:28 AM »
Lengthening vowels has a built in tendency for their integrity to be altered but it is not impossible to resist that trend with some prodding by a voice teacher, in my case, who patiently corrected me everytime I slid from an eh to ayyy.

Pretty regularly, it is necessary to remind my choir to sing Al-leh-luia, rather than Al-lay-luia . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline zamyrabyrd

• Veteran member
  • selig sind
« Reply #4387 on: June 16, 2018, 07:13:48 AM »
Pretty regularly, it is necessary to remind my choir to sing Al-leh-luia, rather than Al-lay-luia . . . .

Honestly, I didn't hear myself until my Russian teacher mimicked what I was doing.
It could have been Manuel Garcia, the famous 19th century mentor, who suggested reproduction as an excellent way to point out errors.
Now we have recording, of course, something I usually shrinked from.
 ― Flannery O'Connor

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #4388 on: June 16, 2018, 07:16:28 AM »
Honestly, I didn't hear myself until my Russian teacher mimicked what I was doing.
It could have been Manuel Garcia, the famous 19th century mentor, who suggested reproduction as an excellent way to point out errors.
Now we have recording, of course, something I usually shrinked from.

Over time, they are apt to forget;  but then when they correct the vowel, they hear, themselves, how much better the tuning is.

But, yes . . . I periodically need to remind them  :)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline zamyrabyrd

• Veteran member
  • selig sind
« Reply #4389 on: June 16, 2018, 07:31:32 AM »
Over time, they are apt to forget;  but then when they correct the vowel, they hear, themselves, how much better the tuning is. But, yes . . . I periodically need to remind them  :)

It's REALLY important in choirs that EVERYONE is singing the SAME vowel quality.
This makes for a really clean sound.
Not all conductors are aware of it, because their ears may not be attuned to this aspect.
 ― Flannery O'Connor

ComposerOfAvantGarde

« Reply #4390 on: June 17, 2018, 01:24:09 AM »
Cats > dogs. When will humans ever learn?