Author Topic: how much music is too much on a portable player?  (Read 415 times)

Offline XB-70 Valkyrie

• Veteran member
how much music is too much on a portable player?
« on: May 24, 2019, 04:57:00 PM »
I finally gave in and bought a 256 GB card for my Fiio X1 gen II (also have the Gen I) and am eagerly filling it with music. I organize everything by folder (one folder generally = 1 CD/album, except in the case of Mahler and Bruckner symphonies spread over three CDs!). I have never used tags and have very little interest in them. I do want to start exploring possibilities with playlists--aside from what I've been doing (mostly for jazz), i.e., just putting a bunch of favorites in a folder.

Anyway, it looks as if this card will hold between 700-800 albums (CD or FLAC-ed LP). I plan to split them out into about ten or so folders so I will not have to scroll forever trying to get to what I want. I have had no problems with this with my 128 GB card, but I am interested to see how this will go with twice the capacity.

I will probably have 6-8 folders for classical, a few for jazz, maybe two for international, etc. I also have a NEW folder for stuff I've recently acquired and want to pay special attention to.

How much music do you have on your portable player, and how much is the limit?

The latest generation Fiios have full touch screens and run on android, but I am perfectly happy with the X1. The X5 has dual card slots, and I could have 512 GB total (over 1200 albums), and, while it is tempting to have such a large chunk of my collection in a device of this size, I am not sure the quantity would be manageable.

Funny, not long ago, before at trip, I would sit down and decide which 20 or so CDs (in a CD wallet), I wanted to bring along. Now I will have 700+ in a device smaller than a deck of cards!

« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 04:58:45 PM by XB-70 Valkyrie »
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
Re: how much music is too much on a portable player?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 05:15:38 PM »
I have a 128-GB card in my phone, shan't ever exhaust it
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

NikF4

Re: how much music is too much on a portable player?
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 05:20:46 PM »
I don't know, but I'm sure it's great to have the option of so many works readily at hand.