I haven't seen any topic specifically about Berg's masterpiece, for sure one of the most essential works of the last century. Except a few things about CD versions
, and also on the Berg topic
As almost everybody knows, the opera (based on Berg's own libretto after two plays by Wedekind) was left unfinished, and only since 1979 is it performed entirely, after Friedrich Cehra orchestrated Act III after Berg's short score and different orchestral fragments (the first 268 bars, and the two interludes included in the Lulu-Suite
). The first production was Boulez and Chéreau's, in Paris, in 1979, with Teresa Stratas in the main role.
Shortly after these performances, Boulez recorded what remains the reference version on CD, a tense and precise vision with a superb Stratas, as much an actress than a singer, even on CD :
What do you think about Lulu ? And what about your favourite versions ? There's quite many of them on DVD and Blu-Ray (or other video formats)...Video versions
- Evelyn Lear, Wiener Symphoniker & Karl Böhm, Otto Schenk (Theater an der Wien, 1962) / Unfinished version in 2 Acts !
- Teresa Stratas, Orchestre de l'Opéra de Paris & Pierre Boulez, Patrice Chéreau (Paris, 1979)
- Julia Migenes, Metropolitan Orchestra & James Levine, John Dexter (NY Met, 1980)
- Christine Schäfer, London Philharmonic & Andrew Davis, Graham Vick (Glyndebourne, 1996)
- Laura Aikin, Orchestra of the Zurich OH & Franz Walser-Möst, S-E Bechtolf (Zurich, 2002) / Unfinished version in 2 Acts !
- Agneta Eichenholz, Orchestra of the Royal Opera & Antonio Pappano, Christof Loy (London ROH, 2009)
- Patricia Petibon, Orchestra del Liceu & Michael Boder, Olivier Py (Liceu Barcelona, 2010)
- Patricia Petibon, Wiener Philharmoniker & Marc Albrecht, Vera Nemirova (Salzburg Fest., 2010)
- Barbara Hannigan, Orchestre de la Monnaie & Paul Daniel, K. Warlikowski (Brussels, 2012)