Author Topic: Lulu (Alban Berg)  (Read 8429 times)

Offline Wendell_E

• Currently Listening to:
    mostly opera and chamber music
Re: Lulu (Alban Berg)
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2016, 06:38:55 PM »
This production played in Amsterdam last season (albeit with a different cast), and only got hum ho reviews from the press. Especially the staging was thought to be 'too overwhelming', and critics wrote that there was too much going on and too little drama in the acting of the singers. I saw it twice and was a little on the fence about the whole thing, although it did impress me the first time I saw it. I am extremely surprised it's getting such raves in New York.

During this evening's live Sirius broadcast of Jenufa, they announced that the Lulu had just been released on DVD.  I also found the staging "too overwhelming" when I saw it "Live in HD", and David Brenna's Alwa underwhelming (his Laca tonight's better), so I'll probably pass.  Do I really need a tenth DVD version of Lulu, anyway?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 06:42:19 PM by Wendell_E »
“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.” ― Mark Twain

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK