Author Topic: Lulu (Alban Berg)  (Read 6573 times)

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
Re: New "Lulu" at the Met
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2015, 06:27:46 AM »
Last night was fortunate to see the new William Kentridge production of Lulu at the Met, starring Marlis Petersen (who has said this will be the last run of the role for her). They are broadcasting it in movie theaters on Saturday, November 21, and all I can say is, if you like this opera - or don't know it and want to give it a try - this feels like something of a landmark.

Kentridge (the South African artist who also did Shostakovich's The Nose) has come up with a fascinating, multi-layered production with far too many interesting threads to even absorb at a single viewing: artistic, political, historical. Petersen gives the performance of a lifetime, singing the difficult part with great accuracy and expression, and the rest of the cast are mostly very good, too. (Susan Graham makes a surprisingly touching Countess Geschwitz.) Lothar Koenigs is the conductor, replacing James Levine, and does a splendid job, moving the score along swiftly (almost too swiftly, according comments from one orchestra member). And the orchestra sounds fantastic.

--Bruce

The Wall Street Journal's Heidi Waleson gave the performance a rave:

Conductor Lothar Koenigs proved adept at building the tension of each scene and conjuring up both frenzy and beauty with the virtuosic Met orchestra, from Luluís sinuous saxophone motif to full-blown Expressionist cacophony. The production matched it impeccably.

http://www.wsj.com/articles/lulu-review-william-kentridge-draws-death-and-despair-1447107798
"Now who taught ye t' be playin' patty fingers in the holy water?"

- Barry Fitzgerald to John Wayne in  The Quiet Man.

Offline betterthanfine

Re: Lulu (Alban Berg)
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2015, 03:53:28 AM »
This production played in Amsterdam last season (albeit with a different cast), and only got hum ho reviews from the press. Especially the staging was thought to be 'too overwhelming', and critics wrote that there was too much going on and too little drama in the acting of the singers. I saw it twice and was a little on the fence about the whole thing, although it did impress me the first time I saw it. I am extremely surprised it's getting such raves in New York.

Offline Wendell_E

• Currently Listening to:
    mostly opera and chamber music
Re: Lulu (Alban Berg)
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2016, 06:38:55 PM »
This production played in Amsterdam last season (albeit with a different cast), and only got hum ho reviews from the press. Especially the staging was thought to be 'too overwhelming', and critics wrote that there was too much going on and too little drama in the acting of the singers. I saw it twice and was a little on the fence about the whole thing, although it did impress me the first time I saw it. I am extremely surprised it's getting such raves in New York.

During this evening's live Sirius broadcast of Jenufa, they announced that the Lulu had just been released on DVD.  I also found the staging "too overwhelming" when I saw it "Live in HD", and David Brenna's Alwa underwhelming (his Laca tonight's better), so I'll probably pass.  Do I really need a tenth DVD version of Lulu, anyway?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 06:42:19 PM by Wendell_E »
"Twinkle, twinkle, little Czar, Putin put you where you are." ó George Takei

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK