Author Topic: Conductors- which are your favourite and least favourites conducting Opera?  (Read 4289 times)

Mozart

"Im gonna eat ye"
-James Levine

Offline Solitary Wanderer

• Veteran member
  • 'She walks in beauty...like the night' ~ Byron
"Im gonna eat ye"
-James Levine

I'm watching the Met Ring cycle from '83 at the moment and have a chuckle at Levines 'honky 'fro'. I notice he hasn't changed his hairdo in the intervening 25 years! ;)
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

Mozart

Hey dude, the jewfro is a lady magnet!

Offline Solitary Wanderer

• Veteran member
  • 'She walks in beauty...like the night' ~ Byron
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 06:25:11 PM by Solitary Wanderer »
'I lingered round them, under that benign sky: watched the moths fluttering among the heath and harebells, listened to the soft wind breathing through the grass, and wondered how any one could ever imagine unquiet slumbers for the sleepers in that quiet earth.' ~ Emily Bronte

Offline PSmith08

• Veteran member
  • Some guy on the internet.
Böhm did slow down toward the end of his career. For example, his 1941 Beethoven 9th (SD) ran 1:05:21, while his 1981 version (WP) took 1:19:01. It is, though, important to remember that his Ring is, timing-wise, very close to Pierre Boulez' set. In fact, I think the only music-drama where Böhm isn't marginally faster than Boulez is Götterdämmerung. That is just plain fast, especially if you consider Georg Solti's 1983 set or Joseph Keilberth's 1955 set to be idiomatic and reasonable. If you look to Daniel Barenboim or James Levine, you're going to notice how fast Böhm really was.

His Die Frau ohne Schatten, though, is a revelation - cuts and all.

Mozart

;)

Not to mention the huge jewish...salary  ;D

Offline Anne

• Veteran member
This is a no-brainer:  Carlo Rizzi and Placido Domingo.  Can't stand either one.

Online Que

• Global Moderator
My favourites, and I'll also mention conductors who recorded very little - as long as the did exceptionally well.

Bruno Walter - Don Giovanni
Wilhelm Furtwängler: Fidelio
Erich Kleiber - Fidelio; Die Frau Ohne Schatten; Der Rosenkavalier; Le Nozze di Figaro
Josef Krips - Don Giovanni; Die Entführung aus dem Serail
Otto Klemperer - Die Zauberflöte; Der fliegende Holländer
Karl Böhm - Fidelio; Strauss: Die Frau ohne Schatten, Ariadne auf Naxos, Salome (live), Arabella, Daphne, Elektra; Wagner: Der Ring des Nibelungen, Tristan und Isolde.
Tullio Serafin: anything (Italian)
Arturo Toscanini: Verdi
Rudolf Kempe - Wagner: Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg, Lohengrin,
Dimitri Mitropoulos: Don Giovanni, Elektra
René Jacobs: all his Mozart; Orfeo ed Euridice

Q

« Last Edit: July 30, 2007, 07:56:03 AM by Que »

Don't Like These Ads? Become a GMG Subscriber!
For as little as 14 cents per day, subscribers get no advertising on the forum, a larger Inbox for your PM's, and a warm glow of knowing you are supporting the forum. All this and a groovy Subscriber badge too!
Click here to read more.