Author Topic: Haydn Piano Trios  (Read 6324 times)

Online Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
  • Support your local Haydn Society
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
  • Currently Listening to:
    Haydn, I reckon.
Re: Haydn Piano Trios
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2009, 06:11:33 PM »
Hob.XV:16 D major is also one of my favorites. But I hope it is not too sinful to suggest a nonHIP version in this thread ;D

Carlos

No, not at all. We (the best of us, anyway) are non-judgmental about that sort of thing. It is only important that you hear and enjoy the music. After all, we don't have to sit together and listen... :D

You might like this version though, Camerata Köln on cpo:

8)

Help support GMG by purchasing from Amazon using this link

Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Follow me on Twitter @GurnBlanston106

Offline val

• Veteran member
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2009, 03:10:45 AM »
I don't know if anyone has mentioned them, but the two Trios recorded by Kogan, Gilels and Rostropovitch are a model never reached.

Online Gurn Blanston

• Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)
  • Global Moderator
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #42 on: November 12, 2009, 05:21:55 AM »
I don't know if anyone has mentioned them, but the two Trios recorded by Kogan, Gilels and Rostropovitch are a model never reached.

Val,
Are those different trios than the ones mentioned above by ccar? Doesn't say on the cover so I don't know which they are... :-\

8)

Offline ccar

« Reply #43 on: November 12, 2009, 02:36:28 PM »

DOREMI edition (DRH 7921) - Haydn Piano Trios - Gilels Kogan Rostropovich

Hob.XV:16    1951    Moscow   
                        1959    London      (also available in BBC Legends 4024)
    Hob.XV:19    1952    Moscow     

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2018, 01:06:47 PM »
I don't have Rosen's book -- the one on Classicism. And I have tried to see the text on-line but failed. But apparently there's a whole chapter on the trios and the claim .. well I dunno exactly. I guess that they are very very great, like Concertos 14 - 24 (but unlike the violin sonatas -- which are less than that)
I think Rosen mainly claims that the late trios are severely underrated and very good pieces that are/were hardly performed because the strings mostly double the piano and esp. the cello part is not very interesting to play.
The comparison with Mozart's piano concertos only seems to refer to the demands on the piano player, I believe. (This is p. 399 of the German translation, he says the late trios and Mozart's concertos are the most brilliant piano works before Beethoven. Which is probably not true anyway but Rosen's tends to ignore minor composers like Clementi or Dussek who wrote very brilliantly for the piano at the same time.)
When do the good ones start? I find Hob.15:12 e minor already a very good piece and more than merely charming. (All the earlier ones are also nice and charming if only occasionally more than that.) This makes about 20 pieces "lateish" (the numbers beyond 15:32 are actually early pieces again).
Overall even the great late ones are usually "lighter" in tone than some of the string quartets but this does not exclude "deep" movements; the great slow movement of symphony 102 started in a trio (15:26 f# minor).

Struck by the sounds before the sun,
I knew the night had gone.
The morning breeze like a bugle blew
Against the drums of dawn.
(Bob Dylan)

Offline ShineyMcShineShine

« Reply #45 on: March 24, 2018, 05:51:40 AM »
I went with Patrick Cohen, Erich Hobarth, and Christophe Coin on Harmonia Mundi. They didn't record all of the trios, but four discs is enough for me and I thought they sounded best of all the recordings I heard.

Online Gurn Blanston

• Global Moderator
    • Gurn's Haydn Blog
    Haydn, I reckon.
« Reply #46 on: March 24, 2018, 06:45:15 AM »
I went with Patrick Cohen, Erich Hobarth, and Christophe Coin on Harmonia Mundi. They didn't record all of the trios, but four discs is enough for me and I thought they sounded best of all the recordings I heard.

Those are excellent, very commendable. Actually there are 6 disks, 5 of them with violin and the 6th with the flute trios.

And even though I disagree with the idea that the early works are in some way inferior, these begin at Hob 15:12 and continue to the end (Hob 15:29).  The trios he wrote in the mid-1780's (Hob 5-14) are all first rate music too, and it's sad to have them left out. Trio 1790 do them on Disk 1 of their set, definitely a winner!

8)

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #47 on: March 24, 2018, 08:40:02 AM »
Of the HIP recordings I have heard (Van Swieten, 1790 (about half), Levin/Beths/Bylsma and 2 disks with Cohen/Höbarth/Coin) the last one has the "warmest" and fullest sound, so I can understand the preference. However, I think the other HIPster have a little more energy in the faster pieces and and a leaner sound has sometimes also advantages. But Cohen et al. are quite unique both in sound and in their somewhat leisurely relaxed approach.
(Bob Dylan)

Online Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
    Still nuts about harpsichord music and exploring Early Music.
« Reply #48 on: March 24, 2018, 11:41:31 PM »
Another vote for the Van Swieten Trio! :)
Really great performances, beautifully recorded and a complete set for a very nice price.

I'd leave the "modern" renditions (BAT) for what they are - as can be expected of non-HIP Haydn: rather out-of-character IMO.  8)

Q

Ten years ago, I recommended the Van Swieten Trio (Brilliant).... Since then, I switched allegiances:

In addition, it's quite different compared to the van Swieten Trio, both in terms of instruments (harpsichord for the early trios) and performance (quite more "alert" than the interpretation on Brilliant Classics).

I got the set by the Van Swieten Trio first, and hugely enjoyed it! :) But I have to say that the Trio 1790 takes it to another level. It is not just the more varied instruments, it is the level of intensity,  the nuance in playing, the expressiveness. I would describe the Van Swieten as a more "mellow" approach... Trio 1790 grabs me...

Q

À chacun son goût.

Offline Jo498

• Veteran member
« Reply #49 on: March 25, 2018, 12:29:04 AM »
With the complete box available cheaply the Trio 1790 is certainly a top recommendation. While they are probably more correct with the harpsichord in the early pieces, I also like to have them with fortepiano. I probably should compare their disks of later pieces with the Van Swieten. Back when I bought the latter the 1790 was still in progress and I did not find the two disks I had better than the Van Swieten. Actually, I seem to recall that I found the slightly more mellow sound (esp. of the keyboard) preferable to the 1790... it was not a very strong preference but the former had both completeness and price as advantage.
Cohen/Höbarth/Coin certainly take the mellowness to another level, they are far more different from both Van Swieten and 1790 than the last two are between each other.
(Bob Dylan)