Author Topic: Italian Music from the Late Renaissance and Baroque  (Read 62919 times)

Offline Coopmv

• Veteran member
  • Mein Freund ist mein
Re: Italian Music from the Late Renaissance and Baroque
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2009, 07:52:06 PM »

I want more that sound like this, if possible. Thanks.

I have a dozen of CD's on the Italian label Tactus.  They are works of minor Italian baroque composers.  While we are all familiar with Vivaldi, Albinoni, Corelli, there are more than a dozen of minor composers from the baroque era and from the city-states which eventually became modern-day Italy whose works are quite delightful.  They are quite well represented on this label.  Check out the link below ...

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/albumList.jsp?label_id=1172&bcorder=6&LabelAll=1

Dr. Dread

« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2009, 07:58:14 PM »
Thanks. I will check those out.

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #62 on: February 14, 2009, 12:52:29 AM »
Despite the silly title, this new Signum release looks interesting and I will watch for reviews:

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2009, 07:34:33 AM »

I want more that sound like this, if possible. Thanks.

Dave - I don't own that disc above (but should probably add it to my 'wish list'!) - there's so much of this music (as you've undoubtedly noticed from the previous pages of this thread) - what is it about this recording that appeals to you - might help others provide more 'targeted' recommendations?

However, I would encourage you to explore Tomaso Albinoni - now have nearly a dozen discs by this composer; the two shown below are my recent acquisitions and are just superb - good luck in your search! Dave

Dr. Dread

« Reply #64 on: February 14, 2009, 08:49:28 AM »
Dave - I don't own that disc above (but should probably add it to my 'wish list'!) - there's so much of this music (as you've undoubtedly noticed from the previous pages of this thread) - what is it about this recording that appeals to you - might help others provide more 'targeted' recommendations?

However, I would encourage you to explore Tomaso Albinoni - now have nearly a dozen discs by this composer; the two shown below are my recent acquisitions and are just superb - good luck in your search! Dave

What do I like about that Gabrieli disc? Hmm. It's stately splendor, for the most part. (I bet that didn't help at all).  ;D I must like music that sounds regal.

I have an Albinoni disc; sort of a DG greatest hits, I think.

Thanks for the response, Dave II. ;)

Offline Coopmv

• Veteran member
  • Mein Freund ist mein
« Reply #65 on: February 14, 2009, 09:41:31 AM »

I have most of the Albinoni's CD's on Chandos by the Collegium Musicum 90, headed by Simon Standage who used to the lead violinist with the English Concert.  They all have excellent SQ ...

Offline Coopmv

• Veteran member
  • Mein Freund ist mein
« Reply #66 on: February 14, 2009, 10:05:47 AM »
One of the problems with Italian baroque music beyond Vivaldi is that the rest of its baroque composers really did not have the comparable volumes of output compared with Vivaldi.  For German baroque music, Telemann is a good counterweight to JS Bach in terms of output volumes, even as the quality of his works do not always measure up to that of JS Bach ...

Offline Coopmv

• Veteran member
  • Mein Freund ist mein
« Reply #67 on: February 14, 2009, 10:11:59 AM »
Here is an excellent reference for Italian Baroque Music.  I have the much older version.

DavidW

« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2009, 11:34:01 AM »
One of the problems with Italian baroque music beyond Vivaldi is that the rest of its baroque composers really did not have the comparable volumes of output compared with Vivaldi. 

Why is that a problem?  Did you need a large quantity of Italian baroque cds to hold up a table with a missing leg? :D 

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2009, 11:40:49 AM »
Why is that a problem?  Did you need a large quantity of Italian baroque cds to hold up a table with a missing leg? :D 
Yeah, I've always felt it was a problem that the other 200+ Italian baroque composers didn't compose 92 operas. I mean, I have all thos monies I need to get rid of, as well as an unused fotball hall which I need to put to some use.

Offline Coopmv

• Veteran member
  • Mein Freund ist mein
« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2009, 11:44:00 AM »

It is not a problem for me since I also have most of the Albinoni's works on LP and CD along with 2 complete sets of Vivaldi works - 18-LP set and 18-CD set.  I also have some of the more obscure works by Frescobaldi, Corelli, Geminiani, Scarlatti and by a bunch of minor Italian baroque composers on the Tactus label I discussed yesterday.  In all, I have at least 200 LP's/CD's on the works of Italian masters and these do not include the many choral works by Vivaldi I have ...

Dr. Dread

« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2009, 11:44:43 AM »
Bought that Corelli/Pinnock disc back yonder.

Offline Coopmv

• Veteran member
  • Mein Freund ist mein
« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2009, 11:47:25 AM »
Yeah, I've always felt it was a problem that the other 200+ Italian baroque composers didn't compose 92 operas. I mean, I have all thos monies I need to get rid of, as well as an unused fotball hall which I need to put to some use.

Check out the Italian label Tactus, it has recorded works of many Italian baroque composers you have never heard of.  This is a way to blow your money and give the global economy a shot in the arm ...

http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/albumList.jsp?label_id=1172&bcorder=6&LabelAll=1

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
  • Currently Listening to:
    Still nuts about harpsichord music and exploring Early Music.
« Reply #73 on: August 10, 2009, 05:57:10 PM »
Bump this thread with a repost from the listening thread:

Good afternoon, Que. How do you find those sonatas? I'd like to beef-up my rather non-existent Baroque violin collection. :)

I second this request! I'm a fan of Paganini's theatrics, could these offer something similar (albeit not as extreme)?

I can offer only first impressions in this stage: just the first spin of two of the three discs.

On the music: this certainly establishes Tartini as a worthwhile Italian Baroque composer for me, after a somewhat "going through the (pleasant) motions" of Italian Baroque on a disc with concertos, although with top performances by Gatti/Dieltiens/ Ensemble 415/ Banchini (HM). Even so, the 2nd disc with the sonatas Opus 2 was still more interesting than the works on the 1st disc, which are in the booklet described as being generally considered "minor works". From what I've heard sofar, I suspect that this collection of Trio Sonatas by Tartini will be more interesting than Buxtehude's efforts - no minor compliment! :)
The performing style of the members of the Italian HIP Ensemble La Magnifica Comunità is quite sincere and sober, don't expect something like Andrew Manze's histrionics (of which I'm steadily growing weary, though his Biber still remains), nor in the music extravaganza and virtuosity like in music by Pisendel (Lethe!) or (Franz) Benda.  Enrico Casazza's style reminds me of his countryman Enrico Gatti, though he has not Gatti's velvet tone but a more firm, straight forward sound.

Q
À chacun son goût.

Offline Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
  • Currently Listening to:
    Still nuts about harpsichord music and exploring Early Music.
« Reply #74 on: June 12, 2010, 12:07:46 AM »
(adapted) repost from the listening thread:

First rate, super de luxe performances by Chiara Banchini and her Ensemble 415. This seems hard to surpass: beautiful PI textures and sonorities, incisive and articulated, with nice Italianate, rugged but stylish and virtuosic violin playing. And that is what this music needs: maybe not exactly earth shattering compositions but it comes alive with the proper expressive and virtuosic approach.

Very enjoyable and very interesting to hear period orchestrations of Corelli's famous Opus V violin sonatas - which makes this works "a basic" for any serious Baroque collection IMO. :)

And I got this now OOP (and at Amazon crazily priced) 2CD set  as part of a box set (just a cardboard slipcase with the original issues) which is a nice bargain! ;D
A no-brainer, as far as I'm concerned. :)

Q
À chacun son goût.

Offline False_Dmitry

« Reply #75 on: June 12, 2010, 01:33:12 AM »
In their own era, the most important (viz frequently-performed) Italian opera composers were Lotti, Porpora & Bononcini.  If we analyse the number of performances at the Royal Academy in London,  Bononcini's operas outperformed Handel's by a ratio of nearly 2:1. 

These are substantial and extremely well-written works, and they deserve to be better-known.  Yet few have been performed or recorded (by comparison with Handel's or Vivaldi's operas, for example).

"Of all the NOISES known to Man, OPERA is the most expensive" - Moliere

Offline Coopmv

• Veteran member
  • Mein Freund ist mein
« Reply #76 on: June 12, 2010, 03:59:57 AM »
(adapted) repost from the listening thread:

First rate, super de luxe performances by Chiara Banchini and her Ensemble 415. This seems hard to surpass: beautiful PI textures and sonorities, incisive and articulated, with nice Italianate, rugged but stylish and virtuosic violin playing. And that is what this music needs: maybe not exactly earth shattering compositions but it comes alive with the proper expressive and virtuosic approach.

Very enjoyable and very interesting to hear period orchestrations of Corelli's famous Opus V violin sonatas - which makes this works "a basic" for any serious Baroque collection IMO. :)

And I got this now OOP (and at Amazon crazily priced) 2CD set  as part of a box set (just a cardboard slipcase with the original issues) which is a nice bargain! ;D
A no-brainer, as far as I'm concerned. :)

Q

I have one recording by Chiara Banchini and her Ensemble 415, though not on Zig Zag.  This 2-CD set by Biondi falls into the same category.  A new one will now set you back over $100 USD ...

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #77 on: July 05, 2010, 01:48:44 PM »
Just posted in the 'listening thread' (quoted below) on a new acquisition from BRO - 2 discs - Loreggian continues to explore this Italian Baroque repertoire - this time w/ some premiere recordings of a composer new to me - yet again!  ;) :D

The harpsichord, as mentioned below, is a beautiful sounding reconstruction - apparently, Giusti was considered one of greatest Italian makers of these keyboard instruments at the time - there is considerably detail in the liner notes by the modern maker on which Loreggian performs -  :)  P.S. pic of Roberto added to the OP - not sure if this is the instrument being played but similar coloring on a photo in the booklet?

Marcello, Benedetto (1686-1739) - Harpsichord Sonatas, Op. 3 w/ Roberto Loreggian on a reconstructed instrument by Riccardo Pergolis after ones made by Giovanni Giusti (Lucca, c. 1630-c. 1693); another BRO bargain -1 1/2 pages of notes about the harpsichord written by Pergolis and thick booklet in multiple languages about the composer and the 'search' for these works -  :)

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #78 on: July 14, 2010, 09:25:57 PM »
Now that Glossa's series of Handel's Italian cantatas with solo instruments are coming to an end, I thought the folowing might be of interest (from an interview with Fabio Bonizzoni):

What are you planning to move on to now?

We are starting a new concert and recording project, one which I would say is as exciting as the one just completed: the Italian Serenata. The Serenata is a very Italian genre, one which had enormous success throughout Europe during its time. We plan to devote six to eight CDs to the main composers of this genre starting, in 2010, with Alessandro Scarlatti, who was one of the principal Italian composers of the form. A lot of the repertoire we will record is currently not available elsewhere in the overall catalogue and I am expecting an enthusiastic answer from our fans!

Offline Coopmv

• Veteran member
  • Mein Freund ist mein
« Reply #79 on: July 15, 2010, 05:34:33 PM »
Now that Glossa's series of Handel's Italian cantatas with solo instruments are coming to an end, I thought the folowing might be of interest (from an interview with Fabio Bonizzoni):

What are you planning to move on to now?

We are starting a new concert and recording project, one which I would say is as exciting as the one just completed: the Italian Serenata. The Serenata is a very Italian genre, one which had enormous success throughout Europe during its time. We plan to devote six to eight CDs to the main composers of this genre starting, in 2010, with Alessandro Scarlatti, who was one of the principal Italian composers of the form. A lot of the repertoire we will record is currently not available elsewhere in the overall catalogue and I am expecting an enthusiastic answer from our fans!

I enjoyed Glossa recordings mainly for the early music and baroque and have probably exhausted what are available.  The same goes for Gimell and CRD, which are also noted for their early music.  I think BIS and Hyperion may be my next focus.  I may check out the Scarlatti works on Glossa though.