Author Topic: Worst looking CD/LP artwork  (Read 294228 times)

Online (: premont :)

• Veteran member
Re: Worst looking CD/LP artwork
« Reply #3100 on: March 14, 2018, 06:59:49 AM »

Yes, I get the point of the cover.

No, that doesn't excuse its strangeness and artificiality.

The point of the cover rests in the score mr. Møldrup holds in his hand. It displays a simpler version, he has made of the allemande from the D-major suite. He plays this simplified version first and uses Bach's ornamented version for the repeat. An excellent interpretation of all the suites BTW.
Tiden læger alle sår,
heldigt nok at tiden går.

Offline Peter Power Pop

• Peter's Power Pop
« Reply #3101 on: March 14, 2018, 02:54:03 PM »

My guess would be [the exclamation mark] comes from one of the lyrics?

Maybe, but that doesn't stop me thinking that's actor Colin Firth on the cover and it's a still from an upcoming movie starring Colin as Gubbins the moody landowner secretly in love with Griselda, the heartbroken daughter of the recently deceased Muggins, who had been under the employ of Gubbins until an accident involving a lace doily one stormy night on the Moors.

I say that partly because Bridge is from the right era to be setting English poems with a tendency towards exclamation marks...

I must admit that I don't usually associate exclamation points with the Romantic movement. For example, whenever I think of Romantic music I don't think Eroica!, Hammerklavier!, Spring Sonata! etc.

Online Biffo

« Reply #3102 on: March 15, 2018, 02:38:52 AM »
....into the deepest sea! only has 4 out of 24 settings of English poets the rest are German, Finnish or Norwegian. The single Bridge song is 'Come to me in my dreams', a setting of 'Longing' by Matthew Arnold - the poem has two exclamation marks and one question mark. It seems the album title, ellipsis and exclamation mark included, is down to the marketing department of the record company.

Here is Sarah Wegener singing the Bridge - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToxcwpzWy60

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
  • Currently Listening to:
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #3103 on: March 15, 2018, 03:05:48 AM »
The general point I was trying to make was missed two times in a row. Once by citing instrumental works from a century earlier, and once by focusing on a single track. Impressive. Although partly caused by the generality and my attempt to ground it. If I could actually find the lyrics of all the songs I would have checked them.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 03:18:53 AM by ørfeo »
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline Peter Power Pop

• Peter's Power Pop
« Reply #3104 on: March 15, 2018, 01:51:17 PM »
The general point I was trying to make was missed two times in a row. Once by citing instrumental works from a century earlier, and once by focusing on a single track. Impressive. Although partly caused by the generality and my attempt to ground it. If I could actually find the lyrics of all the songs I would have checked them.

I'm sure exclamation marks were used all over the place in all sorts of poetry in the Romantic/Gothic era (or in whatever era* they appeared), but for one to appear so large on the cover of a classical music album I thought was funny, especially when the photo used on the cover is so gloomy.

(*I'm happy to admit my complete ignorance of matters poetic.)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 02:09:27 PM by Peter Power Pop »

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #3105 on: March 15, 2018, 06:01:28 PM »
A little googling reveals that it is an unconventional concerto in which the soloist moves around the stage like an actor, following stage directions.  Probably the cover depicts a scene from the “play.”

I certainly concur with the consensus the it is unappealing.
I meant to write this in his dedicated composer thread, but many of Widmann's recent works (including two on that disc and a clarinet concerto) involve the soloist screaming. It may have once been a novelty - I have at least one prim and proper recording of a European orchestra refusing to shout "Mambo!" in the West Side Story suite - but Widmann needs to consider that his novelty might be getting stale.

kishnevi

« Reply #3106 on: March 15, 2018, 07:01:04 PM »
I meant to write this in his dedicated composer thread, but many of Widmann's recent works (including two on that disc and a clarinet concerto) involve the soloist screaming. It may have once been a novelty - I have at least one prim and proper recording of a European orchestra refusing to shout "Mambo!" in the West Side Story suite - but Widmann needs to consider that his novelty might be getting stale.

He's been paying too much attention to Stockhausen...

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #3107 on: March 15, 2018, 08:49:46 PM »

« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 08:51:42 PM by SimonNZ »

Offline Madiel

• Veteran member
    • A musical diary
    Whatever's listed in my blog.
« Reply #3108 on: March 15, 2018, 09:16:40 PM »
It was a different time...
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Offline Peter Power Pop

• Peter's Power Pop
« Reply #3109 on: March 15, 2018, 10:44:01 PM »

Offline Florestan

• Veteran member
  • Van Gogh - Flowers in a Blue Vase
« Reply #3110 on: March 16, 2018, 01:23:15 AM »
I must admit that I don't usually associate exclamation points with the Romantic movement. For example, whenever I think of Romantic music I don't think Eroica!, Hammerklavier!, Spring Sonata! etc.

Maybe because they are not particularly Romantic?  ;D
"Music expresses that which cannot be said and upon which it is impossible to remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #3111 on: March 16, 2018, 04:13:17 AM »

Not bad looking, but a very peculiar choice of composers for a set devoted to russian piano concertos... ::)

Offline DaveF

« Reply #3112 on: March 16, 2018, 05:14:53 AM »
Not bad looking, but a very peculiar choice of composers for a set devoted to russian piano concertos... ::)

Brilliant's website fudges it by saying that the composers are from both Imperial and Soviet Russia - hence the echt Deutsch Scharwenka who just happened to be born in what is now Poland.  Or even Medtner, whose 3rd concerto was composed near Birmingham.  It looks like a rather good set, although finding track-listings isn't easy - even Brilliant's website doesn't list the composers, and you'd need a fairly in-depth knowledge of Russian music to know who composed a 4th concerto in D minor, Op.70 (surely that's Dvořák's 7th symphony?)
"Just because I like something, it doesn't mean it's any good."

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #3113 on: March 16, 2018, 05:20:05 AM »
I’m sure Scharwenka, Khatchaturian and especially the Prime Minister of Poland, Ignacy Jan Paderewski would raise an eyebrow, too.

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #3114 on: March 16, 2018, 05:37:51 AM »
Brilliant's website fudges it by saying that the composers are from both Imperial and Soviet Russia - hence the echt Deutsch Scharwenka who just happened to be born in what is now Poland.  Or even Medtner, whose 3rd concerto was composed near Birmingham.  It looks like a rather good set, although finding track-listings isn't easy - even Brilliant's website doesn't list the composers, and you'd need a fairly in-depth knowledge of Russian music to know who composed a 4th concerto in D minor, Op.70 (surely that's Dvořák's 7th symphony?)
Rubinstein
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
  • I free-think, therefore I am free
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #3115 on: March 16, 2018, 06:08:15 AM »
I fixed the cover art for you folks.  ;D
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #3116 on: March 16, 2018, 07:24:31 AM »
Brilliant !

;)

kishnevi

« Reply #3117 on: March 18, 2018, 07:56:33 PM »
Courtesy New Releases thread

Why hello down there, little man...

Offline motoboy

Late romantic unknown rabbit-hole and Mahler
« Reply #3118 on: March 24, 2018, 03:56:09 AM »
Yikes!

Offline 71 dB

• Veteran member
  • I free-think, therefore I am free
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #3119 on: March 24, 2018, 04:33:49 AM »
Heino once again...  :P
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page