Author Topic: What TV series are you currently watching?  (Read 78876 times)

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1862 - 1918)
  • Currently Listening to:
    ...Mist floating above the lake...
Re: What TV series are you currently watching?
« Reply #1020 on: May 31, 2018, 08:22:47 PM »
It certainly starts out good, perfectly scripted and executed comedy. But it seems by the time they got to the fifth or sixth season they had exhausted every possible plot twist, and eventually got so desperate that they had to put Niles and Daphne together. At that moment I think it quickly degenerated pretty rapidly.

I agree and disagree. I think that Niles and Daphne getting together was inevitable and everyone saw it coming. I thought how it led up that point was actually extremely well-written. I do agree, however, that the later seasons lack a certain magic that they never quite seemed to be able to capture again. The final season’s last couple of episodes were quite good I must say as the writing seemed to have picked back up, but, as with everything that’s a success, it must come to an end. For me, this sitcom is one of the best I’ve ever seen and I put it up there with other favorites of mine like Seinfeld, Everybody Loves Raymond, Wings, and Curb Your Enthusiasm.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2018, 05:27:51 AM by Mirror Image »
“I love music passionately. And because I love it I try to free it from barren traditions that stifle it.” - Claude Debussy

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #1021 on: May 31, 2018, 08:59:16 PM »

Quite well done, I thought.

Baron Scarpia

« Reply #1022 on: June 01, 2018, 05:04:40 AM »
I’ve been slowly making my way through The Sopranos again. Just finished the second season. It ends in dramatic fashion, but the real high point of the season is “You’re gonna cry now?”

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #1023 on: June 01, 2018, 08:33:02 AM »

I just started to watch this. It comes through an Amazon premium channel which I ordered just for this series.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.2 Firefox/45.9 PaleMoon/27.3.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0

Offline Moonfish

• Veteran member
    Timeless soundscapes...
« Reply #1024 on: June 01, 2018, 10:03:21 AM »

I just started to watch this. It comes through an Amazon premium channel which I ordered just for this series.

Please report back - 7 seasons mm?   Is the channel mostly mysteries and police dramas?
"Every time you spend money you are casting a vote for the kind of world you want...."
Anna Lappé

Offline George

• Veteran member
  • Our DJ's Better Than All These Bands
« Reply #1025 on: June 01, 2018, 10:40:26 AM »
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Offline drogulus

• Veteran member
  • Gypsy, 1970
« Reply #1026 on: June 01, 2018, 11:37:14 AM »
Please report back - 7 seasons mm?   Is the channel mostly mysteries and police dramas?

There's a lot of that.
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64; rv:45.9) Gecko/20100101 Goanna/3.2 Firefox/45.9 PaleMoon/27.3.0

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64; rv:50.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/50.0

Offline XB-70 Valkyrie

• Veteran member
« Reply #1027 on: June 01, 2018, 02:28:58 PM »
I’ve been slowly making my way through The Sopranos again. Just finished the second season. It ends in dramatic fashion, but the real high point of the season is “You’re gonna cry now?”

Love that show, but we missed it the first time around. We have been watching an episode a week--in order--for over a year now--currently on Season 5 (Christopher Moltisanti went nuts at the rumor that his fiance and Tony were going at it). Don't spoil it for me please, but I get the idea that Adrianna is not long for this world!
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Baron Scarpia

« Reply #1028 on: June 02, 2018, 04:02:36 PM »
Love that show, but we missed it the first time around. We have been watching an episode a week--in order--for over a year now--currently on Season 5 (Christopher Moltisanti went nuts at the rumor that his fiance and Tony were going at it). Don't spoil it for me please, but I get the idea that Adrianna is not long for this world!

One of the rare shows that maintained its level of quality to the end, although the tone changed, got darker, in the run up to the finale.

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #1029 on: June 02, 2018, 04:07:53 PM »

There appear to be no zombies in this French village, so it's probably not fo me. ;)

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #1030 on: June 02, 2018, 07:05:34 PM »

The first episode was very flat, but they loosened up after that.

Offline SonicMan46

• Veteran member
« Reply #1031 on: June 03, 2018, 08:12:53 AM »
Well, a number of months ago, I purchased the entire JAG series, i.e. 10 seasons (nearly 230 episodes), from Amazon w/ some credit, so inexpensive - Susan & I are still watching and have started the 9th season a few days ago (do just a couple a night) - we are really enjoying and hard to believe the show ended in 2005 (a LOT of old news!).  Dave :)

P.S. believe that NCIS was like a 'replacement' for JAG and is now on its 15th season - we might just rent the first season (only 10 bucks) - anyone have comments on the Mark Harmon series?  Thanks.

Offline Ken B

• Veteran member
  • The Age of the Wanker is upon us
    • kenBlogic
    Canoes not battleships.
« Reply #1032 on: June 03, 2018, 11:31:34 AM »
Well, a number of months ago, I purchased the entire JAG series, i.e. 10 seasons (nearly 230 episodes), from Amazon w/ some credit, so inexpensive - Susan & I are still watching and have started the 9th season a few days ago (do just a couple a night) - we are really enjoying and hard to believe the show ended in 2005 (a LOT of old news!).  Dave :)

P.S. believe that NCIS was like a 'replacement' for JAG and is now on its 15th season - we might just rent the first season (only 10 bucks) - anyone have comments on the Mark Harmon series?  Thanks.

I liked the first season pretty well. At some point in the later series (not sure whic, whatever was in the library) it got too silly — someone faked their own death in like 5 of 6 consecutive episodes) and I gave up.
Give a man a fire and he is warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he is warm for life.

Offline Hollywood

• Living in Beethoven's Heiligenstadt.
« Reply #1033 on: June 03, 2018, 09:04:20 PM »

NCIS is one of my favorite TV series. I don't care too much for the 2 NCIS spinoffs, NCIS: Los Angeles and NCIS: New Orleans. I must admit that the main reason I watch NCIS is that I have a long time crush on Mark Harmon which started back when he was the starting quarterback for the UCLA Bruins football team in 1972 and 1973. 

"There are far worse things awaiting man than death."

A Hollywood born SoCal gal living in Beethoven's Heiligenstadt (Vienna, Austria).

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #1034 on: June 03, 2018, 09:16:26 PM »
I've been enjoying 'A Very English Scandal', which finished last night, which featured an excellent performance by Hugh Grant as Jeremy Thorpe and Ben Wilshaw (the voice of Paddington) as Nornan Scott. In fact they both featured in 'Paddington 2'.

I'm looking forward to the return of Poldark next week  ::)
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 09:18:47 PM by vandermolen »
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

Offline George

• Veteran member
  • Our DJ's Better Than All These Bands
« Reply #1035 on: June 04, 2018, 05:49:36 AM »
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Offline mc ukrneal

• Veteran member
« Reply #1036 on: June 06, 2018, 08:02:01 AM »

It's fun. Worth a shot - if you like it, 15 seasons ahead! If you don't, not much of an investment.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Offline bwv 1080

• Veteran member
« Reply #1037 on: June 12, 2018, 04:40:47 AM »
Amazon Prime has a the subtitled 2012 Russian TV production of Vassily Grossman's Life and Fate (IMO the best WW2 novel if you are not aware of it)

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/IhUDbRLBA7w" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/IhUDbRLBA7w</a>
Cogito cogito ergo cogito sum

Offline Daverz

• Veteran member
  • You can't fool me, it's turtles all the way down!
« Reply #1038 on: June 15, 2018, 01:10:20 PM »
Killing Eve

Great show.  Also

The Woman In White

I never finished the novel because I became frustrated by the way the author stacked the deck by making his characters so obtuse.  This 2018 mini-series got past that pretty quickly.

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #1039 on: June 15, 2018, 11:42:41 PM »
Just finished the 3rd season of the great french series "Le Bureau".