Author Topic: The most boring music you've heard  (Read 32071 times)

Harry Collier

Re: The most boring music you've heard
« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2007, 06:02:36 AM »
For decades, I have tried, tried, tried to like Liszt. I really have. I buy recordings of Liszt's music and listen to them with wrapt attention. Alas, light has not yet dawned. Too many notes for me.

greg

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2007, 06:09:06 AM »
rap

dj
lol!
my thoughts exactly. I should put on some rap/hip-hop whenever i have a hard time falling asleep.

If non-classical is included, one must mention "smooth" jazz and country.
smooth jazz definetely. My dad has started listening to that for the last few years.
Country is boring harmonically/rhythmically, but somehow also annoying.

As for classical:
most early music, Baroque and a lot of Classical, Handel, Mozart, yawn.....
Wagner, Stockhausen.....

if i didn't like Takemitsu, he would be the most boring of all probably

Offline PerfectWagnerite

• Veteran member
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2007, 06:13:38 AM »
For decades, I have tried, tried, tried to like Liszt. I really have. I buy recordings of Liszt's music and listen to them with wrapt attention. Alas, light has not yet dawned. Too many notes for me.

You talking about the piano music or Liszt's music in general? I think the symphonic poems are actually quite good, no melodically lacking at times but very interesting music. His piano music I find pretty unlistenable as I vastly prefer Chopin.

Offline BachQ

• Veteran member
« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2007, 06:16:40 AM »

Offline PerfectWagnerite

• Veteran member
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2007, 06:17:40 AM »

Harry

« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2007, 06:20:42 AM »
Wagner, is the most boring humbug I ever listen too!

Offline PerfectWagnerite

• Veteran member
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2007, 06:28:38 AM »

Agree, if you are referring to the Wotan/Bruenhilde exchange in Act II of The Valkyrie. Is there a more garrulous character in all of opera than Wotan?

springrite

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2007, 06:41:59 AM »
if i didn't like Takemitsu, he would be the most boring of all probably

LOL! I was thinking the same thing about Takemitsu as well as Feldman. I love both, but if someone say it is boring, I can totally understand!

greg

« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2007, 06:53:32 AM »
LOL! I was thinking the same thing about Takemitsu as well as Feldman. I love both, but if someone say it is boring, I can totally understand!
;D

paul

« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2007, 07:12:06 AM »
Non-classical: William Basinski's The Disintegration Loops — 30 minute tracks of one 5 second loop repeating itself again and again until they fade out... invariably praised by hipsters as "soothing."

I love William Basinski's music and have listened to the Disintegration Loops many times. I've never thought that his music was soothing or hip, but what is most interesting to me is how the music changes over the course of the 20 to hour long tape loop (and by change I mean fall apart; I'm sure you know the story of these tapes and how Basinski archived certain loops that had importance to him later to find that they would fall apart if played. Upon the 9/11 attacks he played these loops from the roof of his apartment building in NYC until they fell apart, recording the results while filming a static shot of the smoke over Manhattan). I have to say that I enjoy the Garden of Brokenness and the Variations for Piano and Tape more than the Disintegration Loops, though I'm not sure Basinski's music is really even "classical" but comes more from minimalist electronic music. But I understand that this is not for everyone.

Offline Josquin des Prez

• Veteran member
  • Lyric Suite, Opus131
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2007, 07:34:17 AM »
Lots of contemporary avant-garde music makes me comatose. The pretension of intellectuality and originality makes it even worst in the face of the actual blandness and lack of imagination of many of those 'compositions'. Minimalism is pretty boring too for that matter.

bwv 1080

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2007, 07:38:44 AM »
Lots of contemporary avant-garde music makes me comatose. The pretension of intellectuality and originality makes it even worst in the face of the actual blandness and lack of imagination of many of those 'compositions'. Minimalism is pretty boring too for that matter.

Care to provide examples?

bwv 1080

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2007, 07:40:07 AM »
Listening to a complete performance of Cage's ASLSP must be taxing

Offline edward

• Veteran member
  • Hello, little man. I will destroy you.
« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2007, 07:44:13 AM »
Listening to a complete performance of Cage's ASLSP must be taxing
Actually, performances of both piano and organ versions typically last between 15 and 35 minutes. The 739-year one is an outlier. ;)
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
 -- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

karlhenning

« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2007, 07:44:22 AM »
Agree, if you are referring to the Wotan/Bruenhilde exchange in Act II of The Valkyrie. Is there a more garrulous character in all of opera than Wotan?

Gurnemanz?

Offline quintett op.57

« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2007, 07:47:36 AM »
That's probably true for me as well.

Oh how could I forgot Haydn! Out of his massive output of 104 symphonies, I only like 2 of them -- the 94th and 45th...(O God I hope 71dB doesn't see this and make another 3000 word essay defending the composer)
so you're missing one of the great pleasures of life.
try the concertos at least, a good way to come into his world, I believe.

Offline The new erato

• Veteran member
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2007, 07:48:17 AM »
I thought you liked Siegfried Wagner?

mahlertitan

« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2007, 07:51:14 AM »
Seconded.

Seriously, though, I think Dvorak's early symphonies are pretty hard to listen to.

I disagree, there are some wonderful melodies in these early works.

springrite

« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2007, 07:52:05 AM »
I thought you liked Siegfried Wagner?
Harry likes his Wagner less "Wagnerian".

mahlertitan

« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2007, 07:53:08 AM »

the whole point of Minimalism is to bore you to death.