Author Topic: The most boring music you've heard  (Read 29800 times)

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Re: The most boring music you've heard
« Reply #320 on: February 13, 2018, 03:45:13 PM »
That said I think Act II of Tristan und Isolde may be the most boring music I have ever heard. Wagner is clearly trying to sustain tension throughout the entire act, supposedly in imitation of a lengthy sexual encounter or something, and therefore it’s supposed to be excruciating and give us a truly insatiable desire for the resolution, but for me it crossed the line into tiresome and manipulative very quickly. Still had to hear the whole thing because I had to write a paper about it. :’)

......................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ??? ??? ??? >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Come on! Act II of T&I is pretty much the most engaging thing Wagner wrote!

Online zamyrabyrd

• Veteran member
  • selig sind
« Reply #321 on: February 13, 2018, 10:16:29 PM »
Most of CPE Bach, his Dad was NOT boring, though!
"I write to discover what I know."
 ― Flannery O'Connor

Offline GioCar

« Reply #322 on: February 14, 2018, 01:48:03 AM »
......................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  ??? ??? ??? >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Come on! Act II of T&I is pretty much the most engaging thing Wagner wrote!

+1!!!!!

Together with Act I & III and:
- Act II of Die Walküre (but also Act III & I)
- Act III of Götterdämmerung (but also Act II, the Prologue and Act I)
- The entire Das Rheingold
- Act III of Siegried (but also Act I & II)
- Act III of Die Meistersinger (but also Act II & I)
- Act II of Parsifal (but also Act I & III)
- Act I of Lohengrin (but also Act II & III)
- The entire Der fliegende Holländer
- Act III of Tannhäuser (but also Act I & II) regardless the version.

Rienzi is a bit less engaging (just a bit), Die Feen & Das Liebesverbot are ok.

:P

Offline Biffo

« Reply #323 on: February 14, 2018, 01:58:57 AM »
Zelenka wrote a ton of sacred music, so I imagine some of it is not up to his best.  I have not explored his sacred music very much, but decades ago I was entranced by his Missa dei Filii.  This recording my have been surpassed since then:

I have the disc (and another Zelenka mass) you mention as part of a box set of Bernius from Sony. I was loaned the set and only listened to what interested me, later I was given it as a gift so perhaps I will have to investigate the masses. Thanks also to Baron Scarpia, the recommendation looks promising.

Re. Biber: I suppose I should have checked the album in question, it is actually a Requiem for Biber, a compilation put together by Paul McCreesh for the 300th anniversary of the death of Heinrich Ignaz Franz Biber (1644-1704). The album contains Biber's Requiem ex F con terza minore embedded in it. In any case I found the disc grindingly dull and didn't even make it to the end. The album concludes with a short piece by Lassus which I should really check out some time.

Online Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
  • Currently Listening to:
    Still nuts about harpsichord music and exploring Early Music.
« Reply #324 on: February 14, 2018, 02:31:13 AM »
I have the disc (and another Zelenka mass) you mention as part of a box set of Bernius from Sony. I was loaned the set and only listened to what interested me, later I was given it as a gift so perhaps I will have to investigate the masses. Thanks also to Baron Scarpia, the recommendation looks promising.

Re. Biber: I suppose I should have checked the album in question, it is actually a Requiem for Biber, a compilation put together by Paul McCreesh for the 300th anniversary of the death of Heinrich Ignaz Franz Biber (1644-1704). The album contains Biber's Requiem ex F con terza minore embedded in it. In any case I found the disc grindingly dull and didn't even make it to the end. The album concludes with a short piece by Lassus which I should really check out some time.

As a general rule (there are always exceptions): try to avoid British performances of German(ic) choral music...
Definitely boring.... >:D  I know I'm going to be crucified for this, since people adore their McCreesh, Parrott, King, Christophers, and what have you more, doing "everything" ranging from Lassus, Victoria, Monteverdi, Bach and Vivaldi to music by their grandmother, but there you go...  8)

Zelenka is actually, besides JS and Vivaldi, a very original and exciting Baroque composer!  :)

As to choral performances that do the music justice:
The Collegium Vocale 1704 under Václav Luks did a terrific recording on Zig-Zag Territoires and now an entire Zelenka series on Accent.
Ensemble Inégal under Adam Viktoria (on the Czech label Nibiru)
Musica Florea under Stryncl (Supraphon)
Kammerchor & Barockorchester Stuttgart under Frieder Bernius (a whole series on Carus)

My favourites are Václav Luks and Adam Viktoria and their ensembles, with Luks egging on the "excitement" a bit more, and Adam a bit more sensitive.

Q
À chacun son goût.

Online ritter

• Veteran member
  • La création du monde (Fernand Léger)
« Reply #325 on: February 14, 2018, 02:40:54 AM »
+1!!!!!

Together with Act I & III and:
- Act II of Die Walküre (but also Act III & I)
- Act III of Götterdämmerung (but also Act II, the Prologue and Act I)
- The entire Das Rheingold
- Act III of Siegried (but also Act I & II)
- Act III of Die Meistersinger (but also Act II & I)
- Act II of Parsifal (but also Act I & III)
- Act I of Lohengrin (but also Act II & III)
- The entire Der fliegende Holländer
- Act III of Tannhäuser (but also Act I & II) regardless the version.

Rienzi is a bit less engaging (just a bit), Die Feen & Das Liebesverbot are ok.

:P
That leaves the Kinderkatechismus, which is too short to bore anyone.  :D

I agree with your list, but must admit I'm not that fond of Lohengrin (which, between you and me, I do find has its longueurs... :-[).

TD:

Most of Johannes Brahms's music bores me to tears. It's strange, because looking at it "objectively", his music has many of the components that should make me admire it, and yet, I find it insufferable... ::)
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 02:43:23 AM by ritter »
Ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
”Sólo lo difícil es estimulante; sólo la resistencia que nos reta, es capaz de enarcar, suscitar y mantener nuestra potencia de conocimiento”.

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #326 on: February 14, 2018, 03:33:01 AM »
Boring? I think not...
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/sCa568QWzgo" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/sCa568QWzgo</a>
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Offline Biffo

« Reply #327 on: February 14, 2018, 03:57:41 AM »
I should mention again that the Zelenka disc was a Hyperion release and the artists were Robert King and the Kings Consort - an ensemble I have found to be dull in Purcell, one of my favourite composers. Given the general enthusiasm for Zeleka perhaps I should try him again.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #328 on: February 14, 2018, 03:58:48 AM »
I think because of all those complete this and complete that recordings filling up boxes of 80 minute CDs, people may be forcing Bach on themselves in a way Bach never intended.

Something to that.

Although, I do really like having the Cantatas on a thumb drive in the car, available whenever I want to (to borrow from our Jens) dip my ears.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #329 on: February 14, 2018, 04:05:24 AM »
I should mention again that the Zelenka disc was a Hyperion release and the artists were Robert King and the Kings Consort - an ensemble I have found to be dull in Purcell, one of my favourite composers. Given the general enthusiasm for Zeleka perhaps I should try him again.
Good idea. :)
Another suggestion, alongside with the choral stuff mentioned earlier.

My photographs on Flickr

Offline Biffo

« Reply #330 on: February 14, 2018, 04:19:57 AM »
Good idea. :)
Another suggestion, alongside with the choral stuff mentioned earlier.

Thanks for the recommendation. Incidentally, I never suggested the Missa votiva was boring - I have never heard it - only the selection on the Hyperion disc. Also I did say that I was pleasantly surprised by the orchestral/instrumental music I heard on the radio.

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #331 on: February 14, 2018, 04:30:02 AM »
Thanks for the recommendation. Incidentally, I never suggested the Missa votiva was boring - I have never heard it - only the selection on the Hyperion disc.

May have been the one bad oyster  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Online Que

• Global Moderator
  • "One HIP dude"
    Still nuts about harpsichord music and exploring Early Music.
« Reply #332 on: February 14, 2018, 04:33:59 AM »
Thanks for the recommendation. Incidentally, I never suggested the Missa votiva was boring - I have never heard it - only the selection on the Hyperion disc. Also I did say that I was pleasantly surprised by the orchestral/instrumental music I heard on the radio.

It's too bad that the recording of Missa Votiva by Collegium Vocal 1704 under Luks is OOP, but I'm sure it will be reissued...
Always recommended it as a Zelenka starter.

Q
À chacun son goût.

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #333 on: February 14, 2018, 05:12:11 AM »
Yes, I was just thinking of Zelenka in general. A bad recording can certainly do a lot of damage when it's your introduction to a work/composer.

It's too bad that the recording of Missa Votiva by Collegium Vocal 1704 under Luks is OOP, but I'm sure it will be reissued...
Always recommended it as a Zelenka starter.
Q
Indeed. Here's hoping they'll reissue the recording of the oratorio I Penitenti al Sepolchro del Redentore too. That one is on Youtube too, thankfully.

My photographs on Flickr

Offline Biffo

« Reply #334 on: February 14, 2018, 05:27:01 AM »
Yes, I was just thinking of Zelenka in general. A bad recording can certainly do a lot of damage when it's your introduction to a work/composer.

Indeed. Here's hoping they'll reissue the recording of the oratorio I Penitenti al Sepolchro del Redentore too. That one is on Youtube too, thankfully.

There is a Supraphon recording of I Penitenti available from CDmusic.cz -

https://cdmusic.cz/en/old-czech-music/zelenka-j.d.-i-penitenti-al-sepolcro-del-redentore-oratorio-capella-regia-musicalis-%5Bid%3DSU37852231%5D

I have used this supplier several times and they are excellent for all kinds of Czech music. They have a fair selection (as far as I can tell) of Zelenka.

Meanwhile listening to the Missa Divi Xaverii from Collegium 1704 etc on Spotify.

Offline North Star

• Veteran member
« Reply #335 on: February 14, 2018, 05:49:12 AM »
There is a Supraphon recording of I Penitenti available from CDmusic.cz -

https://cdmusic.cz/en/old-czech-music/zelenka-j.d.-i-penitenti-al-sepolcro-del-redentore-oratorio-capella-regia-musicalis-%5Bid%3DSU37852231%5D

I have used this supplier several times and they are excellent for all kinds of Czech music. They have a fair selection (as far as I can tell) of Zelenka.

Meanwhile listening to the Missa Divi Xaverii from Collegium 1704 etc on Spotify.
Cheers. I think I've seen that before but have been skeptical about the performers, aside from Kozena.

My photographs on Flickr