Author Topic: The most boring music you've heard  (Read 32843 times)

Offline André

• Veteran member
Re: The most boring music you've heard
« Reply #360 on: July 21, 2018, 05:34:30 PM »
Much as I love listening to Lohengrin, the Ring operas and - very occasionally - Tristan, I can’t muster the time nor the inclination to put Parsifal in the cd player. I know, it’s supposed to be so devastatingly beautiful...  ::)

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
« Reply #361 on: July 22, 2018, 02:47:28 AM »
Anything by the genie musicale du jour touted by the morning "news" shows: e.g. Adele, or Lord, or Adele, or Lord, or Adele...

I am trapped in Charlotte, North Carolina, at a hotel where the Breakfast Room, of course, must have a television set blaring, and yesterday one of the morning "news" shows (ironic quotes intended) was pushing some little teenaged girl, complete with a shot of her looking angrily arrogant and arrogantly angry while she sat on a chair and formed a wide, upside-down V with her legs, as the latest must-hear chanteuse.  After showing us the above photograph, which, if found in the possession of a single guy sweeping floors at McDonald's for a living, would land the poor guy in jail, the network turns the girl loose on a stage, where she imitates a kangaroo hiccuping and gasping syllables of incoherence into a microphone, while assorted Cro-Magnon dudes performed unnatural acts on gee-tars.  The "performance" of course took place in front of a crowd of deaf teenagers apparently paid to cheer and act delirious, and seemed to last like 17 years in a Turkish prison...except it was probably under 3 minutes.  ;)

My annoyance and despair at this tradition of idiocy has become boundless.  I first became aware of it nearly 50 years ago, when a completely flat and very untalented folk "singer" was being pushed on a local talk show in Ohio: the word "genius" was used several times by the host to refer to him.  No, I do not recall his name, because he never made it.  As we know, however, other flat and very untalented "singers" have made it big...to my perpetual annoyance and despair.   0:)
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #362 on: July 22, 2018, 05:07:42 PM »
Bach's St John Passion is the most boring concert I have ever attended. Thought it would never end - then tenor James Gilchrist suffered a migraine in the second half and they abruptly ended the performance. I was thankful but with a strong edge of guilt.

Offline SymphonicAddict

• Veteran member
« Reply #363 on: July 22, 2018, 05:26:46 PM »
I had forgotten some Reger's music. The works I really find dull of his are the both clarinet and violin sonatas. Sorry, but they belong to the boredom realm. The cello sonatas are almost the same, just a little better. Otherwise, the rest of works are worth listening.

All above mentioned is just my opinion.

Offline SurprisedByBeauty

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
  • Currently Listening to:
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #364 on: August 09, 2018, 11:02:46 PM »
Many of Bach's organ works (I rely on premont and Jens, at the least, to correct me if I veer astray) originated as improvisations at the console.  If he did not mean for the scores to outlast the moment of inspiration/use, why record them?
I'm not sure I understand you right... but are you suggesting they bore you and they weren't meant to be much more than works for the moment? In that case, I disagree.

If he meant them only for the moment of inspiration, why put them down on scores in the first place? Paper was enormously expensive then (Most likely Bach's main source of expense, over his lifetime, ahead of instruments and certainly ahead of beer -- and not for lack of Bach's trying to push the consumption of the latter).

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #365 on: August 09, 2018, 11:59:39 PM »
Ah, no, Jens—but of course in the context of this thread, I see where you were wondering.

The question being discussed turned on whether Bach was just writing/creating music for "now," or if he cared whether the music had a life beyond his own days on earth.

Rest assured that I do not at all find Bach's organ music boring.  In fact, I have yet to find any boring music in the Bach catalogue.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #366 on: August 10, 2018, 12:16:44 AM »
I once sat through 'The Barber of Seville' (in Leningrad as it then was). Not an experience I'd intend to repeat.
As a rule I don't enjoy opera - so my loss I know.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
    anything from Monteverdi to Widmann and well beyond in either direction and everything in the middle!
« Reply #367 on: August 10, 2018, 01:03:34 AM »
Ah, no, Jens—but of course in the context of this thread, I see where you were wondering.

The question being discussed turned on whether Bach was just writing/creating music for "now," or if he cared whether the music had a life beyond his own days on earth.

Oh, I think we know the answer to that. Music was very precious then... not so much as the "eternal art" for which we know it now... but for more practical reasons. And to have collections of works was immensely useful.
We know the story of Bach secretly copying his elder brother's instruction book at night (and getting in trouble for it when he was caught)... and the value he placed on creating volumes of edifying collections for the future... much the same way he had relied on them himself to learn. So yes, definitely beyond his own days... except perhaps not with the same high-falutin' perspective that a romantic generation might attach to it.

Rest assured that I do not at all find Bach's organ music boring.  In fact, I have yet to find any boring music in the Bach catalogue.

I'm ahead of you, there. His flute sonatas, for starters, are fit to put me to sleep. And, while it's confession time, I don't find the early chamber works (like the sonatas for keyboard and violin) all that hot, either. They are lacking that 'dancing-into-eternity' quality that makes so much Bach so special.

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #368 on: August 10, 2018, 02:27:05 AM »
I nearly qualified my statement . . . of course, Jens, you know it more thoroughly than I!  But we doubtless agree that he has a substantial catalogue—yea, a prodigious catalogue—of music during which one's attention never flags
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #369 on: August 10, 2018, 02:28:43 AM »
I once sat through 'The Barber of Seville' (in Leningrad as it then was). Not an experience I'd intend to repeat.
As a rule I don't enjoy opera - so my loss I know.

I like opera, but am not a true opera enthusiast.  I rather wonder if a full Rossini opera may be more than I should really choose to be in for.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
« Reply #370 on: August 10, 2018, 03:03:59 AM »
I like opera, but am not a true opera enthusiast.  I rather wonder if a full Rossini opera may be more than I should really choose to be in for.

If you think a Rossini comedy is long, try a Rossini dramatic opera! Oh, my!

I nearly qualified my statement . . . of course, Jens, you know it more thoroughly than I!  But we doubtless agree that he has a substantial catalogue—yea, a prodigious catalogue—of music during which one's attention never flags

You know for me Bach is second only to God. And since I'm an atheist...  ;D

• Veteran member
    • Henningmusick
« Reply #371 on: August 10, 2018, 03:07:49 AM »
If you think a Rossini comedy is long, try a Rossini dramatic opera! Oh, my!

About every five years, I wonder if I should give Guillaume Tell a shot (so to speak) . . . and then, oh! bright light!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Offline Cato

• Veteran member
  • An American Hero!
« Reply #372 on: August 10, 2018, 03:32:07 AM »
About every five years, I wonder if I should give Guillaume Tell a shot (so to speak) . . . and then, oh! bright light!

I recall that an uncut performance is about 5 hours or so!   8)

A performance by the Wichita Opera on YouTube has the claim that it is the "full opera," but the time is c. two and a half hours.  Various comments say that "half the opera" is missing!   ::)

"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
« Reply #373 on: August 10, 2018, 05:49:34 AM »
I've had the dubious pleasure of sitting through more or less uncut versions of Otelo & Tancredi.

(http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2006/04/tancredi-sounds-good.html)

If the Washington Opera’s L’Elisir d’Amore is an opera with bad but funny drama, Rossini’s Tancredi is an opera with bad and dour drama. The former – if well done – can be funny in the way a Marx Brothers film is, but there is nothing that can redeem the hackneyed story line and happy-(up)ended tragedy that makes the story of Tancredi tank so hard. In fact, it’s not worth even summarizing the ‘plot’ here – a plot only marginally better than the one from Esclarmonde. One imagines the composer at work, casually remarking over his shoulder “Oh, I ran out of story 30 minutes ago, but I have so much music left!”...

Online ritter

• Veteran member
  • La création du monde (Fernand Léger)
« Reply #374 on: August 10, 2018, 05:56:47 AM »
I've had the dubious pleasure of sitting through more or less uncut versions of Otelo & Tancredi.

(http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2006/04/tancredi-sounds-good.html)
Oh, but then Tancredi also has “Di tanti palpiti”, which makes the whole opera worthwhile  ;)
Ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
”Auch deine Träne ward zum Segenstaue: du weinest - sieh! es lacht die Aue”.

Online Biffo

« Reply #375 on: August 10, 2018, 07:37:53 AM »
Oh, but then Tancredi also has “Di tanti palpiti”, which makes the whole opera worthwhile  ;)

I don't think one aria can redeem a whole opera no matter how brilliant.

The very first opera I heard live (at the tender age of 18) was Madame Butterfly - Un bel di vedremo was very moving, the rest bored me to tears. Over the years I heard the work a few times and found it very moving though with longueurs. The last time I heard it the director in his wisdom (sic) decided to restore all Puccini's cuts - not just the ones he made after the disastrous first performance but all the ones he made even before the first performance. The whole thing was interminable, nothing could redeem it.

I am not a fan of Rossini at all but I would have thought that 'The Barber' was a reasonable choice for a very first opera, obviously not. I haven't heard it live but I have heard 'Le Comte Ory' twice enjoyed it both times.  I have heard broadcasts and recordings of other Rossini opera, but no serious ones, and generally they held my attention but not enough to make me want to sit through them again.

I did survive a live performance of Strauss' Arabella - never again; I would rather have my toenails pulled out with red-hot pliers.

• Veteran member
  • Back. Hello!
    • Surprised by Beauty
« Reply #376 on: August 10, 2018, 07:58:39 AM »

I did survive a live performance of Strauss' Arabella - never again; I would rather have my toenails pulled out with red-hot pliers.

Not understanding the text-as-you-go with Strauss (in the opera house) is a bit like watching an Ibsen play in Croatian.

Offline Alberich

• Veteran member
  • Huge fan of 19th and 20th century art.
« Reply #377 on: August 10, 2018, 08:28:44 AM »

That's kind of like my first time seeing Rosenkavalier in opera - it was so boring that I walked out during the intermission and was so pissed off because of it that I went to a bar to drink beer for the rest of the night. After I listened to Rosenkavalier several times on Spotify, I liked it a lot more (although still not among my favorite Strauss operas).
"Javert, though frightful, had nothing ignoble about him. Probity, sincerity, candor, conviction, the sense of duty, are things which may become hideous when wrongly directed; but which, even when hideous, remain grand."

- Victor Hugo

Online Biffo

« Reply #378 on: August 10, 2018, 08:42:23 AM »
That's kind of like my first time seeing Rosenkavalier in opera - it was so boring that I walked out during the intermission and was so pissed off because of it that I went to a bar to drink beer for the rest of the night. After I listened to Rosenkavalier several times on Spotify, I liked it a lot more (although still not among my favorite Strauss operas).

I managed to stick it out to the end of Rosenkavalier but can't imagine ever doing it again. I have various highlights in recital discs and orchestral  suites, that is enough for me.

Offline listener

• Veteran member
« Reply #379 on: August 10, 2018, 10:28:00 PM »
Peter Maxwell Davies' TAVERNER
much of it in Latin hooted by counter-tenors, I think, recalling from 1972
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."