Author Topic: What Jazz are you listening to now?  (Read 133402 times)

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
  • sic transit gloria mundi
    • ubu's notizen
  • Currently Listening to:
    all music
Re: What Jazz are you listening to now?
« Reply #2420 on: September 05, 2017, 09:52:39 PM »

Fantastic!

Read about here, for instance:
https://www.theguardian.com/music/2017/aug/17/vijay-iyer-sextet-far-from-over-review-ecm

This is spot on:
An object lesson in music for the heart, the head and the feet, Far from Over often sounds like vivacious folk music or displaced blues, reflects the hipness of Miles Davis’s 1960s postbop bands and 70s electronic ones or the contemporaneity of slow-burn Bad Plus buildups, and yet is consistently spine-tingling in improvisations that sound simultaneously inside and outside the harmonies.
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #2421 on: September 08, 2017, 08:58:52 PM »

Randy Weston - Tanjah (1973)
Wilbur Ware - The Chicago Sound (1957)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 01:36:02 AM by SimonNZ »

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
    • ubu's notizen
    all music
« Reply #2422 on: September 09, 2017, 02:15:01 AM »
Hey, finally no longer alone here ...  :)

Played some fine Randy Weston too, yesterday:

Randy Weston - The Spirits of Our Ancestors

Then followed up with some funky stuff, from the on-going japanese Mainstream reissue series:

Charles Kynard - Charles Kynard
Charles Kynard - Woga
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
    • ubu's notizen
    all music
« Reply #2423 on: September 09, 2017, 11:32:39 AM »

Started with this box from 2016 late last night and finished it today - five discs (plus a DVD I've not watched yet), of which the first two are okay-ish (with too much pop and kitsch, some fairly good, and some excellent tracks), while discs 3-5 definitely make it worth acquiring! There's a review of it here:
https://www.allaboutjazz.com/the-incomparable-fiddler-svend-asmussen-storyville-records-review-by-chris-mosey.php

And the WaPo obit (Asmussen died in February, just a few days short of his 101st birthday) is worth reading, too:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/entertainment/music/svend-asmussen-irreverent-jazz-violin-virtuoso-dies-at-100/2017/02/07/e3aee760-ed59-11e6-9662-6eedf1627882_story.html

Sticking with the violin, but still entirely different - and now ... (to paraphrase the title of their late album on Pi Recordings) the Revolutionary Ensemble:

Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #2424 on: September 09, 2017, 02:47:39 PM »

Sonny Rollins - What's New (1962)
Walt Dickerson - Impressions Of A Patch Of Blue (1966)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 10:45:07 PM by SimonNZ »

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #2425 on: September 10, 2017, 09:48:22 PM »

Walt Dickerson - To My Queen Revisited (1978)

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
    • ubu's notizen
    all music
« Reply #2426 on: September 11, 2017, 08:35:27 AM »

Walter Davis – Scorpio Rising
Hank Jones – Bluesette

The former is amazing - and can be found as part of a Japanese reissue series ... carpe diem! The later (first spin) is good - and good fun - for sure, but likely won't become a favourite in the crowded field of piano trio albums.

Buddy Tate – Texas Tenor
Buddy Tate – Texas Tenor

How creative they get with album titles! The former is wonderful, the unknown rhythm section (out of Toronto) is fine, and Tate is in terrific form. The later (another first spin) combines another great album, recorded live with Tete Montoliu, Bo Stief and Sven-Erik Norregaard (plus the violin of Finn Ziegler on two tracks), and a studio date that has a nice jam atmosphere and some more great piano playing, but all in all is good, not outstanding (the line-up: Doc Cheatham, Vic Dickenson, Tate, Johnny Guarnieri, George Duvivier, Oliver Jackson). Both albums were put down in 1975.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Online George

• Veteran member
  • Our DJ's Better Than All These Bands
« Reply #2427 on: September 11, 2017, 11:16:53 AM »

First spin. Lovely!!
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
    • ubu's notizen
    all music
« Reply #2428 on: September 11, 2017, 09:38:01 PM »

Zoot Sims - For Lady Day
Hank Jones & Cheick-Tidiane Seck & the Mandinkas - Sarala

Count Basie & Zoot Sims - Basie & Zoot
Zoot Sims and the Gershwin Brothers

Always had a soft spot for "Basie & Zoot", they're a natural match - but then I guess Zoot was a natural match for anybody who swung ... his albums with Jimmy Rowles may be the most wonderful amongst the many he made - the Lady Day hommage is so beautiful it almost hurts ... and the Gershwin album (with Joe Pass added) is maybe the one Zoot album I love most.

The Hank Jones is really not a jazz album but his meeting with some of the finest pop musicians from Mali - and it works wonderfully indeed. Jones plays his own self, and his solos, sometimes short but always marvelous, do match the loping grooves perfectly well.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #2429 on: September 11, 2017, 10:04:48 PM »

Walt Dickerson - Tell Us Only The Beautiful Things (1975)
Arild Andersen - Shimri (1977)
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 10:30:05 PM by SimonNZ »

Offline motoboy

Late romantic unknown rabbit-hole and Mahler
« Reply #2430 on: September 12, 2017, 03:13:52 AM »
I love me some Warren

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #2431 on: September 12, 2017, 06:18:56 AM »
and the Gershwin album (with Joe Pass added) is maybe the one Zoot album I love most.
Hmm, I chose well then, I've never heard any Zoot at all but the Gershwin album just arrived in my mailbox yesterday.

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
    • ubu's notizen
    all music
« Reply #2432 on: September 12, 2017, 08:49:54 AM »
Hmm, I chose well then, I've never heard any Zoot at all but the Gershwin album just arrived in my mailbox yesterday.

Ha, you sure did! But of course it's not with Rowles ... I'd go with one of the Sims/Rowles albums (why not the Lady Day one) next, and with some Al & Zoot, too (Al Cohn that is), I guess there I'd go with any of the following ones: Al & Zoot (1957), You'n'Me (1960 - both with Mose Allison), Body and Soul (1973 - with Jaki Byard!), Motoring Along (1974 - with Horace Parlan). In a similar vein, "The Four Brothers … Together Again!" (RCA/Vik) has just been reissued in Sony's most recent and pretty cheap series, that one  has Al & Zoot with Herbie Steward and Serge Chaloff.

Thread duty - first spin, just finally arrived (took over a month from Japan):

Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Offline Dancing Divertimentian

• Veteran member
    probably something somebody somewhere is sniping at...wait, Schoenberg! Definitely Schoenberg! (And, let's see, does he have a disciple or two...)...
« Reply #2433 on: September 14, 2017, 07:39:27 PM »
John Ellis (sax), By A Thread. Some mighty fine soloing chops from each member of the band to highlight some truly imaginative writing.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #2434 on: September 14, 2017, 09:19:00 PM »

Sonny Rollins - Easy Living (1977)
David Murray - Lovers (1988)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 12:36:10 AM by SimonNZ »

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #2435 on: September 15, 2017, 03:16:50 PM »

Cannonball Adderley - And Strings (1955)
Jaco Pastorius / Pat Metheny / Bruce Ditmas / Paul Bley - s/t (1974)

Sonny Rollins - The Cutting Edge (1974)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 10:14:34 PM by SimonNZ »

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
    • ubu's notizen
    all music
« Reply #2436 on: September 16, 2017, 01:07:14 PM »
Was offline at home for most of the week ... only got it fixed yesterday (somebody had to come and tweak stuff) - some of the jazz played, most of them (not the Sanderses, not the Kaddouch) new arrivals/first listens:

Pharoah Sanders - Love In Us All
Pharoah Sanders - Black Unity

don't think I ever loved "Black Unity" as much as this time, first listen after I assume around ten years ... was reading the chapters about the end of Impulse in the Ashley Kahn book

Gene Russell - New Direction
Cleveland Eaton - Plenty Good Eaton

a nice and easy piano trio (with the mighty Henry "Skipper" Franklin on bass and some added percussion), and a mighty fonky album by bassist Cleveland Eaton

Robert Kaddouch invite Martial Solal - Balade pour deux pianos
Martial Solal - Bluesine

oddball stuff, not sure who Kaddouch actually is (an educator/classical performer it seems), but still continuing to listen to Solal ... also finally got a copy of "Bluesine", a gorgeous solo album (alas he only made two albums for Soul Note, both not quite easy to find - not enough for CAM Jazz to box 'em up)

Stuff Smith - Swingin' Stuff

Swingin' Stuff indeed - and white hot! This guy was climbing the same heights that in early jazz only very, very few climbed - think Coleman Hawkins. Seriously now! This is a Copenhagen live recording from 1965 with the regulars (Kenny Drew, NHOP, Alex Riel).

Gene Ludwig/Pat Martino - Young Guns
Wynton Kelly Trio/Wes Montgomery - Smokin' in Seattle

The Ludwig/Martino is from around 1968-69 and is hot indeed! Not sure why I missed it when it came out in 2014 ... better late then never! The same trio at the end of its two year existence made an album with Sonny Stitt that can be found on the twofer "Night Letter" (it's not that album, that one has McDuff, but rather the second one in the package ... recommended, too). The Wynton/Wes I found somewhat underwhelming on first listen (hey, this had been around since April - at least in announcements ... not even sure it needed to be released after all that premature ejac ... ahm, hype-i-sation. Will listen to it again within the next few days for sure though. I'm aware Wes M. is not the guitar player screaming at you and I love that quality in his playing, but somehow he'll probably never be amongst my top favorites on the instrument, I'm afraid.

Stefano Bollani - Napoli Trip
Terumasa Hino - Taro's Mood

The Bollani came out last year and I had been eyeing it ... loved it. Manu Katché sounds good here (I got bored in recent years, stopped following his jazz - or any at that - work) ... there's waltzes and dirges and dances, there's solos, duos, quartets (the core band is Nico Gori on cl/bcl, Daniele Sepe on ts, Bollani on p/fender rhodes and Katché on d), two extended pieces (arr. Sepe), two Jan Bang numbers (the first is opening the album and has haunting trumpet by Arve Henriksen, the other one has Audun Kleive), there's miniatures, too (including the closing piece by Bollani and Hamilton de Hollanda on bandolim). The Hino has lots of music, and lots of hot playing by both him and the band (his brother is a hell of a drummer!)

Now digging into this four-disc set for the first time ... the title is weird (recordings are from: 1968, 1972, 1975 and 1978 ... thus there's only one from the "early seventies" ... and the 1975 one is by Conte Candoli/Frank Rosolino, thus could just as well be from 1955 in many respects). The Pony Poindexter set, the first one, from 1968, with Benny Bailey sitting and a fine rhythm section (Jan Hammer-p/org, George Mraz-b and Michael Denner-d - don't know Dennert at all) was the main draw for me, and it's quite nice indeed. The second set disc is the 1975 Candoli/Rosolino one (with Rob Pronk-p, Isla Eckinger-b and Todd Canedy-d), the third is Fritz Pauer from 1972 (with Jimmy Woode-b, Erich Bachträgl-d and Joe Harris-perc), the final disc is by Art Farmer (with Gerd Francesconi-p, Günter Lenz-b and Billie Brooks-d - Francesconi is the second musician in the set that I've never encountered anywhere before). Farmer has recorded *a lot* and mostly good stuff ... Pauer will never be a real favourite, but his disc will be pleasant for sure, as will be the Candoli/Rosolino set ... so not must have for me, I guess, but a nice addition.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #2437 on: September 16, 2017, 04:12:40 PM »

Charlie Byrd - Byrd In The Wind (1959)
Egberto Gismonti - Dança das Cabeças (1977)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 06:06:46 PM by SimonNZ »

Offline Artem

« Reply #2438 on: September 17, 2017, 01:51:51 AM »
Late period Chet Baker.

« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 01:55:45 AM by Artem »

Offline James

• Veteran member
    from JS Bach to Stockhausen
« Reply #2439 on: September 17, 2017, 05:58:47 AM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/eSpDfuIuftU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/eSpDfuIuftU</a>
"The crowd is the gathering place of the weakest; true creation is a solitary act." - Bukowski

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK