Author Topic: What Jazz are you listening to now?  (Read 133519 times)

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
  • sic transit gloria mundi
    • ubu's notizen
  • Currently Listening to:
    all music
Re: What Jazz are you listening to now?
« Reply #2460 on: September 26, 2017, 04:37:26 AM »
Jazz en douceur by two grand masters

Funny, just had a chat on Chet with a friend, and he mentioned all he knew so far was the stuff with Bill Evans ... which is alright in my book, but there's so much better to be found in the discographies of both.
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Offline Dancing Divertimentian

• Veteran member
    probably something somebody somewhere is sniping at...wait, Schoenberg! Definitely Schoenberg! (And, let's see, does he have a disciple or two...)...
« Reply #2461 on: September 26, 2017, 06:49:09 PM »
Donny McCaslin, Recommended Tools. Great interplay in this inventive trio setting.

Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #2462 on: September 26, 2017, 09:29:52 PM »

Jackie Paris - The Song Is Paris (1962)

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
    • ubu's notizen
    all music
« Reply #2463 on: September 27, 2017, 06:41:07 AM »

Caterina Valente - The Jazz Singer | Granted, she wasn't a real jazz singer, but she had chops aplenty and a voice of steel ... that I can enjoy in some doses if the material is right. And it's certainly okay here, mostly standards (After You've Gone, They Can't Take That Away from Me, Pennies from Heaven, I'll Remember April), some good originals (Louis Jordan's "Is You Is Or Is You Ain't My Baby", Basie's "Good Morning Blues", Bob Cooper's "Jazz Invention"), but also some cutesy and some typical period stuff including plenty of the Latin kind (pretending to be Brasilian, Cuban, Mexican ...), three of those with just guitar/backing vocals (Aquarela do Brasil, El Negro Zumbón, El Cumbanchero), on most of the tracks you get the Kurt Edelhagen All Stars or their rhythm section (they're pretty good, with some decent soloists), on a couple you get the Erwin Lehn led Südfunk Tanzorchester (the Lehn dudes were with SWF radio in Baden-Baden, Lehn was with SDR in Stuttgart - they have merged into SWR in the late 90s, and SWR is issuing plenty of good music from the archives, the black "Lost Tapes" cover by the MJQ above is one of theirs, too). Highlight, probably, is one cut featuring the doomed Chet Baker Quartet that was on tour back in 1955, with Richard Twardzik on piano (who ODed a few days later), Jimmy Bond (b) and Peter Littman (d - but his main job really was organizing drugs wherever they were) plus guest Lars Gullin on baritone (they made a few sides together in a Swedish studio, too).

Valente can be heard singing lyrics as well as joining the fun with the band, as on the almost ten-minute "Festival Jump" where she improvises after a series of instrumental solos.

Guess this isn't music for the ages or anything, but it's good fun.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Online Spineur

• Veteran member
  • Magdalena Kozena, Felicity Lott with love
    Mozart & friends
« Reply #2464 on: September 27, 2017, 01:32:22 PM »
The material spans Monk to Nino Rota compositions and is somewhat eclectic.  But the playing by this trio is excellent

A woman voice glides like the wind
Of black, of damp, of night
And all it touches in this flight
Suddenly is over.

Anna Akhomatova

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #2465 on: September 27, 2017, 08:19:40 PM »

Michael White - Land Of Spirit And Light (1973)

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
    • ubu's notizen
    all music
« Reply #2466 on: September 28, 2017, 05:27:18 AM »
The material spans Monk to Nino Rota compositions and is somewhat eclectic.  But the playing by this trio is excellent

All recordings by that trio are worth hunting for ... mostly the two volumes of Morricone albums! The two of them were pulled together later into one package:

Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #2467 on: September 28, 2017, 08:46:26 PM »

Emil Richards - Journey To Bliss (1967)
Albert Ayler - New Grass (1968)

Shirley Scott - On A Clear Day (1966)
Mal Waldron - Sweet Love, Bitter soundtrack (1967)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 11:08:47 PM by SimonNZ »

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #2468 on: September 29, 2017, 05:05:52 PM »

Beverly Jenkins - Gordon Jenkins Presents My Wife the Blues Singer (1963)
The Russian Jazz Quartet - Happiness (1965)

Sam Rivers - Crystals (1974)
Phil Woods - Greek Cooking (1967)

Lorez Alexandria - More of the Great Lorez Alexandria (1964)
Ahmad Jamal - Outertimeinnerspace (1971)

Yusef Lateef - 1984 (1965)
Earl Hines - Once Upon A Time (1966)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 01:22:06 AM by SimonNZ »

Autumn Leaves

« Reply #2469 on: September 30, 2017, 01:53:59 AM »
Recent listening:

Miles Davis Quintet - Relaxin'

Dave Brubeck Quartet - At Carnegie Hall (Live Recording)

For a first listen - found this most enjoyable.

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
    • ubu's notizen
    all music
« Reply #2470 on: September 30, 2017, 06:03:40 AM »
That's a pretty wild mix of Impulse classics and eccentricities there, Simon!

That Beverly Jenkins is one I never saw ... rather lame stuff, but of course the spouses Jenkins were no bluesers whatsoever:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/85mbeqet012p7q8/ggj_59.rar?dl=0

But I like some of the corny/cheesy/oddball stuff on Impulse ... and I very much like the fact that this stylish boutique label had room for stuff like that (dig Howard Roberts' "Antelope Freeway"!)
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Offline James

• Veteran member
    from JS Bach to Stockhausen
« Reply #2471 on: September 30, 2017, 09:37:03 AM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/1gEcTvoqQYM" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/1gEcTvoqQYM</a>
"The crowd is the gathering place of the weakest; true creation is a solitary act." - Bukowski

Offline James

• Veteran member
    from JS Bach to Stockhausen
« Reply #2472 on: September 30, 2017, 09:45:49 AM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/opOUa1KcvBw" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/opOUa1KcvBw</a>
"The crowd is the gathering place of the weakest; true creation is a solitary act." - Bukowski

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #2473 on: September 30, 2017, 04:57:51 PM »
That's a pretty wild mix of Impulse classics and eccentricities there, Simon!

That Beverly Jenkins is one I never saw ... rather lame stuff, but of course the spouses Jenkins were no bluesers whatsoever:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/85mbeqet012p7q8/ggj_59.rar?dl=0

But I like some of the corny/cheesy/oddball stuff on Impulse ... and I very much like the fact that this stylish boutique label had room for stuff like that (dig Howard Roberts' "Antelope Freeway"!)

Heh, yeah. Just checking out some random ones I hadn't heard before. The Lateef 1984 and Sam Rivers Crystals and Albert Ayler New Grass I thought were superb. The Earl Hines was much better than I expected and has a really wonderful "Black And Tan Fantasy". The Mal Waldron soundtrack to a film I've never heard of was also interesting. The Phil Woods was an oddly half excellent and half misguided kitsch. Shirley Scott I often love, but that wasn't one of her best. The Lorez Alexandra does the smokey nightclub singer thing well, even if it adds nothing new, and I'd be happy to hear more. The Russian Jazz Quartet was a surprisingly solid set. Theviolinist Michael White made me want to check out the rest of his Impulse albums.The Emil Richards was endearingly dated. But I have to agree that the Beverly Jenkins was a real letdown (and misnomer) and the weakest so far.

It was hearing Oliver Nelson's The Kennedy Dream last week, which while not necessarily great had much of interest, that made me wonder if I shouldn't try and check out more that I'd either overlooked or that have justly or unjustly been relegated to the dustbin of history. Have you heard that one?

I also played Michael Brown's Alarums and Excursions a few days ago, and was amused to hear not jazz but some topical/timecapsule Folk in the Freewheelin Dylan mould:

and playing now:

v/a - Intercollegiate Music Festival, Vol.1 (1967)
Gary McFarland - Points Of Departure (1963)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 08:09:05 PM by SimonNZ »

Autumn Leaves

« Reply #2474 on: October 01, 2017, 12:09:40 AM »
Recent listening:

Bill Evans Trio - Moon Beams

So mellow - love this one.

Art Blakey & The Jazz Messengers - Au Club St. Germain (Vols. 1 & 2)

Great, energetic live record - one of the best items in the box-set.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 12:17:21 AM by Conor71 »

Offline George

• Veteran member
  • Our DJ's Better Than All These Bands
« Reply #2475 on: October 01, 2017, 05:25:58 AM »
Recent listening:

Bill Evans Trio - Moon Beams

So mellow - love this one.

Indeed!

I can't get enough of Bill Evans!
"I can't live without music, because music is life." - Yvonne Lefébure

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #2476 on: October 01, 2017, 08:29:22 PM »

Dave Mackay and Vicky Hamilton - s/t (1969)
Zoot Sims - Waiting Game (1966)

Shelly Manne - 2,3,4 (1962)
Michael White - Spirit Dance (1971)
« Last Edit: October 01, 2017, 10:07:33 PM by SimonNZ »

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #2477 on: October 02, 2017, 08:13:59 PM »

Bill Plummer and the Cosmic Brotherhood - s/t (1967)
Steve Kuhn and Gary McFarland - The October Suite (1967)
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 08:51:06 PM by SimonNZ »

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
    • ubu's notizen
    all music
« Reply #2478 on: October 03, 2017, 11:32:34 AM »
Heh, yeah. Just checking out some random ones I hadn't heard before. The Lateef 1984 and Sam Rivers Crystals and Albert Ayler New Grass I thought were superb. The Earl Hines was much better than I expected and has a really wonderful "Black And Tan Fantasy". The Mal Waldron soundtrack to a film I've never heard of was also interesting. The Phil Woods was an oddly half excellent and half misguided kitsch. Shirley Scott I often love, but that wasn't one of her best. The Lorez Alexandra does the smokey nightclub singer thing well, even if it adds nothing new, and I'd be happy to hear more. The Russian Jazz Quartet was a surprisingly solid set. Theviolinist Michael White made me want to check out the rest of his Impulse albums.The Emil Richards was endearingly dated. But I have to agree that the Beverly Jenkins was a real letdown (and misnomer) and the weakest so far.

It was hearing Oliver Nelson's The Kennedy Dream last week, which while not necessarily great had much of interest, that made me wonder if I shouldn't try and check out more that I'd either overlooked or that have justly or unjustly been relegated to the dustbin of history. Have you heard that one?

I also played Michael Brown's Alarums and Excursions a few days ago, and was amused to hear not jazz but some topical/timecapsule Folk in the Freewheelin Dylan mould:

and playing now:

v/a - Intercollegiate Music Festival, Vol.1 (1967)
Gary McFarland - Points Of Departure (1963)

Sorry for being so slow ... too busy with too many things (not the least preparations for a longer trip starting in less than two weeks).

The Rivers album is quite a classic indeed, so is the Hines in my book (I can see why one can be more sceptical about it though, it's a bit sketchy, a bit short ...), the Waldron is alright indeed, the Woods and Russian Jazz Quartet albums I don't know at all. On Richards I have kinda given up (there's more such "period charm" stuff on Impulse, i.e. McFarland/Szabo "Simpatico", another utterly weak one that may have its charms). The White is pretty good, too ... and I guess so is the Ayler, though considering his amazing albums for other labels (ESP most notably) I tend to look at his Impulse albums with some reservation, most appreciating "Love Cry" among them ... but yeah, there's stuff on/about all of them that is likeable (oh, and his Impulse live recordings don't belong into that oddity-group at all!)

The Brown and Intercollegiate discs i don't know again, but that McFarland is one of the nicer albums in this generally rather lightweight discography.

Mackay/Hamilton and Plummer are more unknowns, the Sims is a bit of a kitschy disappointment, the Manne a stone-classic (dig veteran Coleman Hawkins! dig Eddie Costa! Hawkins btw. appeared on the memorial concert - also put out on LP but not by Impulse! - given after Costa's untimely early death), and the other White more of the same as the first one (guess I should revisit, but not before that longer trip).

That leaves "October Suite", which is another high point (and as such a good to very good album) in McFarland's oeuvre, in my book. Not too much of a McFarland fan, I guess ...
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #2479 on: October 03, 2017, 08:29:31 PM »
I should have also listed Benny Carter's Additions To Further Dimensions as a great first listen.

That Bill Plummer and the Cosmic Brotherhood album is worth hearing at least once if for no other reason than its so mind-bogglingly unclassifiable, an unlikely - and at least partially successful - mix of what ought to be five or six disparate genres.

played today:

Lorez Alexandria - Alexandria The Great (1964)
Michael White - Pneuma (1972)

Don't think I've ever heard a version of "Satin Doll" sung with Johnny Mercer's lyrics before hearing Lorez here. Even Ella does it as scat.

Freda Payne - After The Lights Go Down Low (1964)
Mel Brown - The Wizard (1968)

Chico O'Farrill - Nine Flags (1966)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 08:44:18 PM by SimonNZ »

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK