Author Topic: What Jazz are you listening to now?  (Read 224012 times)

Offline San Antone

• Veteran member
    • Highway 80 Stories
  • Currently Listening to:
    Early music, Indian Classical, Roots music
Re: What Jazz are you listening to now?
« Reply #2660 on: December 18, 2017, 05:06:53 AM »

Pretty cool.

Offline San Antone

• Veteran member
    • Highway 80 Stories
« Reply #2661 on: December 18, 2017, 07:37:26 AM »
Good one from Fisell and bassist Thomas Morgan.

Offline San Antone

• Veteran member
    • Highway 80 Stories
« Reply #2662 on: December 18, 2017, 12:11:43 PM »

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #2663 on: December 18, 2017, 08:35:35 PM »
Either way, if you have the chance, check out Root 70 somewhere (youtube, streaming, what do I know, I'm the dinosaur that still buys tons of CDs all of the time ... note so self: get enough cash at the ATM tonight for tomorrow's afternoon concert with the Schlippenbach Trio ... they might have some CDs with 'em!)

Have made a note to check them out, thanks.

but right now:

Keely Smith - Politely (1958)
Art Blakey - In This Korner (1978)

RIP Keely
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 09:24:50 PM by SimonNZ »

Offline San Antone

• Veteran member
    • Highway 80 Stories
« Reply #2664 on: December 19, 2017, 05:12:00 AM »

This recording is really very good: good playing, or course, but also the concept is something special, imo.

Offline San Antone

• Veteran member
    • Highway 80 Stories
« Reply #2665 on: December 19, 2017, 01:07:40 PM »
A playlist I created from six albums all featuring François Couturier in various ensembles; most recently Nuit Blanche(2017).

This is very good music, that transcends the category of "jazz", although it incorporates improvisation.

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #2666 on: December 19, 2017, 08:31:52 PM »

Rahsaan Roland Kirk – Boogie-Woogie String Along For Real (1978)

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #2667 on: December 21, 2017, 05:19:17 PM »

Bob Brookmeyer ‎– The Modernity Of Bob Brookmeyer (1954)

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #2668 on: December 22, 2017, 01:22:59 PM »

Lars Jansson - Hope (1999)
Andrew Hill - Time Lines (2005)

Art Pepper - Chile Pepper (1956)
Steve Tibbetts - A Man About A Horse (2002)
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 09:56:02 PM by SimonNZ »

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
  • sic transit gloria mundi
    • ubu's notizen
    all music
« Reply #2669 on: December 23, 2017, 07:38:34 AM »
In the mail today:

Almost turned it off during the first track as I'm not feeling like dark depressing music (and somehow that's how Berne always feels to me) ... but I stuck with it and it's another strong effort by this fine group, again in its quintet incarnation that was first heard on the previous ECM release "You've Been Watching Me", which I think was the group's finest - and probably remains just that, first impression is this is good but no beyond/above the previous three ECM ones, that kind of seemed to build and build.

Now on with Eric Revis' latest effort on Clean Feed - not brand new any more, but not played often yet ... first attentive listen I think. And WHOAH this is da shit now! The quartet with Kris Davis, whose piano enriched several previous fine Revis discs, Chad Taylor on drums and Ken Vandermark on tenor, really floods my gates today. The group's playing is infectious, the way they shift from R & B like grooves to free playing is pretty amazing. Davis does her density stuff (you think the music must brake through the floor, so heavy it gets ... it will burn somewhere in the inner parts of the planet, or maybe that's where it's power comes from?), and VDMK is pretty great, displaying his roots in early tenor saxophonists (when I saw him live a few years ago in duo with PNL, I actually thought of Illinois Jacquet a few times). He also plays some clarinet, which is great, as it's my favourite of his instruments.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 08:56:38 AM by king ubu »
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
    • ubu's notizen
    all music
« Reply #2670 on: December 23, 2017, 10:14:52 AM »

The Aaron Parks Album is more of a post-impressionist, Bill Evans-influenced album - subdued and yes, sometimes I found it pretty boring, alas. Was hoping Ben Street (I'm not sure I ever liked him as much as here, but maybe I just paid more attention than usual because the piano didn't capture me much?) and most of all Billy Hart would make a difference, but from my first impression, it's just a so-so Album, alas.

Second spin, and with the expectations done away with, I find myself liking it much better. It's quite lovely indeed, and Mr. Hart actually does add quite a bit to it.

Also, failed to mention two I gave first spins to yesterday:

Nick Mazzarella/Tomeka Reid - Signaling is the latest release by Chuck Nessa (he is working on a new one by Roscoe Mitchell, too!) and it's as fine as I was hoping. Mazzarella is new to me, but Reid of course has been part of many a fine project and it's great to hear her in such an intimate setting.

The Gary Peacock Trio consists of the leader on bass, Marc Copland on piano and Joey Baron on drums. On paper that might look like an odd combination, and indeed I skipped their first disc - but it works very nicely and this is probably the best of the recent bunch of ECM piano trio albums (the Django Bates will be revisited tonight or tomorrow, too).
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 10:18:51 AM by king ubu »
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Offline San Antone

• Veteran member
    • Highway 80 Stories
« Reply #2671 on: December 23, 2017, 03:43:44 PM »
The Gary Peacock Trio consists of the leader on bass, Marc Copland on piano and Joey Baron on drums. On paper that might look like an odd combination, and indeed I skipped their first disc - but it works very nicely and this is probably the best of the recent bunch of ECM piano trio albums (the Django Bates will be revisited tonight or tomorrow, too).

I have this queued up but haven't played it yet.  Peacock has never been a favorite of mine, I wish Jarrett had chosen a different bassist for his trio - but I've known Joey Baron since he was playing with Carmen McCrae, something like 40 years and always enjoy his work.

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #2672 on: December 23, 2017, 05:23:10 PM »

Charles Mingus - Me Myself An Eye (1979)
Stan Kenton - Cuban Fire (1956)

Cécile McLorin Salvant - Dreams and Daggers (2017)
Steve Tibbetts - Natural Causes (2010)

Nicole Mitchell - Mandorla Awakening II: Emerging Worlds (2017)
« Last Edit: December 23, 2017, 07:48:01 PM by SimonNZ »

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
    • ubu's notizen
    all music
« Reply #2673 on: December 24, 2017, 04:14:19 AM »
I have this queued up but haven't played it yet.  Peacock has never been a favorite of mine, I wish Jarrett had chosen a different bassist for his trio - but I've known Joey Baron since he was playing with Carmen McCrae, something like 40 years and always enjoy his work.

Wow, total disagreement there! I think Gary Peacock is one of the most listening bass players ever. The way he handles pitch and all that with Albert Ayler's trio (r.i.p. Sunny Murray) is pretty unique, how he manages even the most ambiguous and difficult situation with grace and ease ... even in early recordings (like the ones with Bud Shank on Pacific) he shows a freshness in touch that is rare. Not sure Ayler is your thing though?

Keith Jarrett is another case, I will probably always remain ambiguous about him (same with Bill Evans, and I own most of their recordings - the jazz ones with Jarrett only, no classical -, so it's not that I hate them or anything) ... but Peacock is wonderful in the trio to my ears. And the trio, when at its best (i.e. the Blue Note box) is plain amazing.

Regarding Joey Baron, I love it when he goes wild, i.e. with John Zorn's Masada quartet, but somehow he seems to end up playing his shtick a bit too often and thus his playing becomes somewhat formulaic in a fun bashing-away-wildly way that can be great in some contexts, but wears off fast in others (I was never too fond of the Abercrombie Quartet with Feldman, Johnson and Baron) ... his encounter with Irène Schweizer for instance didn't quite work I think. I was at the concert, it's out on Intakt now, he was a drummer she wanted to do a duo with for a long time, but I think it was probably too late in the game for her - both are to blame though, there was very little real dialogue - they rather played along each other than with each other. Though all things considered, the CD probably works better than the concert. Either way, I really enjoy what he brings to this new Peacock disc, and based on the strength of it, I guess I should check out the trio's first disc, too!

And since I'm discussing the musicians, again I'm not 100% sure about Marc Copland either. A duo with John Abercrombie was one of the first jazz concerts I attended in my teens, and it was pretty great (though I never really developed a general liking for g/p combinations, be it in duos, quartets or rhythm sections - usually I prefer piano OR guitar, not both) - but again he is very good on this new disc and I feel like I should explore more of his work ... any recommendations?

Either way, to my ears all mighty good musicians, I just don't enjoy them in the same way in each setting they appear in - and don't enjoy them much in some settings.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #2674 on: December 24, 2017, 02:11:08 PM »

Another listen to this stunner. Almost certainly the most immediate impact of any 2017 jazz album I've heard this year (though I in no way manage to keep up with new releases, and there's bound to be many other knockouts I've yet to hear).

Is Nicole Mitchell related to Roscoe Mitchell? There's clearly some connection - in fact I thought it must have been him providing the varied percussion,  but I now see it isn't.

and as with yesterday's listening I was reminded in a number of places of Bitches Brew - so playing now, which turns out to be perfect for a hot summers Christmas day:

« Last Edit: December 24, 2017, 03:22:00 PM by SimonNZ »

Offline San Antone

• Veteran member
    • Highway 80 Stories
« Reply #2675 on: December 24, 2017, 02:46:33 PM »
Wow, total disagreement there! I think Gary Peacock is one of the most listening bass players ever. The way he handles pitch and all that with Albert Ayler's trio (r.i.p. Sunny Murray) is pretty unique, how he manages even the most ambiguous and difficult situation with grace and ease ... even in early recordings (like the ones with Bud Shank on Pacific) he shows a freshness in touch that is rare. Not sure Ayler is your thing though?

Keith Jarrett is another case, I will probably always remain ambiguous about him (same with Bill Evans, and I own most of their recordings - the jazz ones with Jarrett only, no classical -, so it's not that I hate them or anything) ... but Peacock is wonderful in the trio to my ears. And the trio, when at its best (i.e. the Blue Note box) is plain amazing.

Regarding Joey Baron, I love it when he goes wild, i.e. with John Zorn's Masada quartet, but somehow he seems to end up playing his shtick a bit too often and thus his playing becomes somewhat formulaic in a fun bashing-away-wildly way that can be great in some contexts, but wears off fast in others (I was never too fond of the Abercrombie Quartet with Feldman, Johnson and Baron) ... his encounter with Irène Schweizer for instance didn't quite work I think. I was at the concert, it's out on Intakt now, he was a drummer she wanted to do a duo with for a long time, but I think it was probably too late in the game for her - both are to blame though, there was very little real dialogue - they rather played along each other than with each other. Though all things considered, the CD probably works better than the concert. Either way, I really enjoy what he brings to this new Peacock disc, and based on the strength of it, I guess I should check out the trio's first disc, too!

And since I'm discussing the musicians, again I'm not 100% sure about Marc Copland either. A duo with John Abercrombie was one of the first jazz concerts I attended in my teens, and it was pretty great (though I never really developed a general liking for g/p combinations, be it in duos, quartets or rhythm sections - usually I prefer piano OR guitar, not both) - but again he is very good on this new disc and I feel like I should explore more of his work ... any recommendations?

Either way, to my ears all mighty good musicians, I just don't enjoy them in the same way in each setting they appear in - and don't enjoy them much in some settings.

I dunno, I can't explain it but Peacock just seems kind of light weight to me.  Jarrettl can lapse into navel gazing and Peacock is the perfect bassist for that kind of thing.  There are much better bassists, imo, Marc  Johnson, Scott Colley, and good friend of mine who unfortunately passed away in 2009, Dennis Irwin, those names just jump out.  Speaking of Marc Johnson he and Joey Baron have made some great trio recordings with Enrico Pieranunzi.  There's a new guy Thomas Morgan, who's also really good.

I agree with you about Joey's work with Zorn.  Those early quartet recordings, even though they are very derivative of Ornette, are still some of the best stuff Zorn has done.

Offline San Antone

• Veteran member
    • Highway 80 Stories
« Reply #2676 on: December 25, 2017, 07:22:45 AM »
Been listening today to two excellent piano trios, possibly better overall than the Jarrett Standards Trio:  Brad Mehldau and Fred Hersch trios.  Also, these two groups feature other excellent bassists I failed to include in my previous post above: Larry Grenadier and Drew Gress.  The Art of the Trio series of recordings by Mehldau are really very good. 

I am presently listening to this one by Fred Hersch's trio:

With still another strong rhythm section: John Hebert on bass and Eric Harland on drums

Earlier I heard Vol. 1 of the Art of the Trio:

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Bohuslav Martinů (1890 - 1959)
    The Opening of the Wells on Magic Nights
« Reply #2677 on: December 25, 2017, 07:43:12 AM »
Speaking of Fred Hersh, Marc Johnson, and Joey Baron, this is one of my favorite recordings from the Fred Hersch Trio:

“It must be beautiful, or it wouldn't be worth the effort.” - Bohuslav Martinů

Offline San Antone

• Veteran member
    • Highway 80 Stories
« Reply #2678 on: December 25, 2017, 09:14:37 AM »
Speaking of Fred Hersh, Marc Johnson, and Joey Baron, this is one of my favorite recordings from the Fred Hersch Trio:

Yes; I haven't heard it, but I would think it cannot be anything but good with that line up.  Thanks for pointing it out.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Bohuslav Martinů (1890 - 1959)
    The Opening of the Wells on Magic Nights
« Reply #2679 on: December 25, 2017, 12:16:32 PM »
Yes; I haven't heard it, but I would think it cannot be anything but good with that line up.  Thanks for pointing it out.

No problem. Hersch has that ‘Impressionist-like’ Bill Evans thing happening in his style that I’m quite taken with. I need to investigate his later output. The last Hersch recording I bought was this one:

“It must be beautiful, or it wouldn't be worth the effort.” - Bohuslav Martinů