Author Topic: What Jazz are you listening to now?  (Read 140785 times)

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
Re: What Jazz are you listening to now?
« Reply #1840 on: March 19, 2017, 07:18:28 PM »

Conrad Herwig - Heart Of Darkness (1997)
Steve Lacy - Morning Joy: Paris Live (1986)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 10:23:14 PM by SimonNZ »

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #1841 on: March 20, 2017, 07:31:22 PM »

Rodney Whitaker - Ballads And Blues: The Brooklyn Session (1998)
Billy Cobham - Spectrum (1973)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 02:10:29 AM by SimonNZ »

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #1842 on: March 21, 2017, 03:48:17 PM »

Miles Davis - Miles At The Filmore 1970: Bootleg series Vol.3
Tim Ries - Alternate Side (2000)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2017, 09:15:18 PM by SimonNZ »

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #1843 on: March 23, 2017, 04:03:40 PM »

Abdullah Ibrahim - Voice Of Africa (1998)
One For All - Wide Horizons (2002)

Bud Powell - Piano Interpretations By Bud Powell (1956)
Luis Russell - The Chronological 1926-29

« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 11:28:52 PM by SimonNZ »

Offline James

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    from JS Bach to Stockhausen
« Reply #1844 on: March 24, 2017, 04:51:50 AM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/q0QD558TWSQ" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/q0QD558TWSQ</a>
"The crowd is the gathering place of the weakest; true creation is a solitary act." - Bukowski

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #1845 on: March 24, 2017, 05:13:06 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/d2SFDRtzg2Y" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/d2SFDRtzg2Y</a>
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #1846 on: March 24, 2017, 06:06:51 AM »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ojOClU9lPbw" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/ojOClU9lPbw</a>
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #1847 on: March 24, 2017, 01:50:32 PM »

One For All - Upward And Onward (1999)
Abdullah Ibrahim - Blues For A Hip King (1989)

Bud Powell - At The Golden Circle Vol.1 (1962)
Tom Varner - Jazz French Horn (1985)

Cecil Taylor - The Eighth (1981)
« Last Edit: March 24, 2017, 11:39:56 PM by SimonNZ »

Offline Bogey

• Veteran member
  • The plural of vinyl is vinyl.
« Reply #1848 on: March 25, 2017, 04:14:40 AM »
As the lp notes describe, "One gets the sensation at times of weightlessness painted ingeniously through sound, suspended as it were in the upper regions of space." I liken it more to Juan Esquivel remixing a Jackie Gleason album.

There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Offline Spineur

• Veteran member
  • Magdalena Kozena, Felicity Lott with love
    Mozart & friends
« Reply #1849 on: March 25, 2017, 05:26:03 AM »
Chet Baker, Peace

A woman voice glides like the wind
Of black, of damp, of night
And all it touches in this flight
Suddenly is over.

Anna Akhomatova

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
  • sic transit gloria mundi
    • ubu's notizen
    all music
« Reply #1850 on: March 25, 2017, 06:15:06 AM »
Simon, hope you enjoy those Ibrahim discs as much as I do! (Wait, half as much would already be more than cool ;D )
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
    • ubu's notizen
    all music
« Reply #1851 on: March 25, 2017, 10:20:24 AM »
Have been revisiting the entire catalogue of the great, Michigan-based organ group Organissimo, as well as their organist Jim Alfredson's tribute to Big John Patton - the "B3tles" is just out and pretty darn good (and that's coming from someone usually not fond of jazzers doing Beatles covers):

The debut "This Is the Place" is from 2003, on a few cuts Ran Blake guests on tenor. The second album, "This Is the Place" (2005), again presents original line-up with Alfredson (org, keys), Joe Gloss (g) and Randy Marsh (d), with guest appearances by Johnny Gist (ts) and Bill Vits (perc), while the third, "Groovadelphia" (2008), has just the core trio.

The group's fourth album was a live one, "Alive & Kickin'" (2009), presenting great versions of tunes from the first three albums, including a monster 18 minute re-take of "Pumpkin Pie" from the debut album. "Dedicated" (2013) has Ralph Tope on guitar and again a few cuts with Bill Vits on percussion.

The brand new"B3tles" (2017) presents Lawrence Barris on guitar and guest spots by Vits and on one track Mike List on tabla. In the same year "Dedicated" was released, Alfredson also produced his mighty good "Tribute to Big John Patton", with Tope on guitar, Randy Gelispie on drums and Jim Cooper (vibes - on three tracks), Dwight Adams (trumpet) and Mark Kieme (tenor) (both together on three other tracks). For backers (including yours truly), a full bonus album with more music from the sessions was made available.

Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Offline James

• Veteran member
    from JS Bach to Stockhausen
« Reply #1852 on: March 25, 2017, 02:40:21 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/sQGWAnYd7Iw" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/sQGWAnYd7Iw</a>
"The crowd is the gathering place of the weakest; true creation is a solitary act." - Bukowski

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #1853 on: March 25, 2017, 02:41:52 PM »
Simon, hope you enjoy those Ibrahim discs as much as I do! (Wait, half as much would already be more than cool ;D )

Enjoying them very much, thanks! Plus I'd been wanting for a long time to get a clearer sense of his discography, being previously familiar with only a few random discs, so its great to be getting a little closer to that.

now:

Mark Turner - Yam Yam (1995)
Dexter Gordon - Manhattan Symphonie (1978)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 03:33:45 PM by SimonNZ »

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
    • ubu's notizen
    all music
« Reply #1854 on: March 26, 2017, 01:12:20 AM »
Enjoying them very much, thanks! Plus I'd been wanting for a long time to get a clearer sense of his discography, being previously familiar with only a few random discs, so its great to be getting a little closer to that.

Cool!

I followed Turner and his generation some when I started discovering jazz in my early teens in the early nineties, but I don't know that disc (remember its title though, as it was on one of my messy, purely memory-based wantlists back then) ... still have a few Joshua Redman discs (and Turner's "Ballads", and some Kurt Rosenwinkel), but this ultimately didn't prove to be my thing quite ... Brad Mehldau I still enjoy though, his recent 4-CD-Box is wonderful indeed! The Dexter is wonderful though, no question about that!

Playing music by Buck Hill (1927-2017), a great player that didn't really get to be known all that much ... he made guest appearances on a few albums of fellow D.C. artists Shirley Horn and had a run of his own albums on Steeplechase and Muse and elsewhere fairly late in his long life. These two were cut at North Sea Jazz 1981 with Reuben Brown (p), Wilbur Little (b) and Billy Hart (d):

Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
    • ubu's notizen
    all music
« Reply #1855 on: March 26, 2017, 06:43:15 AM »

Now playing Buck Hill's first two albums, both with the same stellar line-up (Kenny Barron-p, Buster Williams-b, Billy Hart-d), recorded 1978 and 1979 when Hill was 51 and 52 respectively. Wonderful player!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
    • ubu's notizen
    all music
« Reply #1856 on: March 26, 2017, 01:51:08 PM »

These both have John Ozment on keys, seems he was a longtime Hill sideman, and as with all the other sidemen, a Washington, D.C. mainstay ... on the former (Hill's last album from 2006), Ozment is on organ (there's guitar and drums added), on the later he's on piano, while Hill plays clarinet on four out of ten tracks, and the rhythm section is completed by bass and drums. Both mighty fine albums!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #1857 on: March 26, 2017, 02:27:25 PM »
Cool!

I followed Turner and his generation some when I started discovering jazz in my early teens in the early nineties, but I don't know that disc (remember its title though, as it was on one of my messy, purely memory-based wantlists back then) ... still have a few Joshua Redman discs (and Turner's "Ballads", and some Kurt Rosenwinkel), but this ultimately didn't prove to be my thing quite ... Brad Mehldau I still enjoy though, his recent 4-CD-Box is wonderful indeed! The Dexter is wonderful though, no question about that!

That's interesting, that means you're younger than me when I would have picked you as older (I guess because your travel and concertgoing suggests a retired man of leisure).

The Turner was fine and polished but didn't leave me wanting more. The Dexter Gordon I thought was particularly interesting as it covered some of the same material he performed in Round Midnight (a film I adore) a few years later and you can really hear how personal some of these tunes are for him. And the end section of "Body and Soul" is note for note across the whole band exactly the way its played in the film. Also a live version of "Tanya"! (though of course nothing can better the version on One Flight Up).

now:

John Stetch - Exponentially Monk (2004)
Esbjörn Svensson - Plays Monk (1996)

Anthony Brown's Asian American Orchestra - Monk's Moods (2002)
Jerry Gonzalez - Rumba Para Monk (1989)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 10:27:14 PM by SimonNZ »

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
    • ubu's notizen
    all music
« Reply #1858 on: March 26, 2017, 11:46:45 PM »
That's interesting, that means you're younger than me when I would have picked you as older (I guess because your travel and concertgoing suggests a retired man of leisure).

The Turner was fine and polished but didn't leave me wanting more. The Dexter Gordon I thought was particularly interesting as it covered some of the same material he performed in Round Midnight (a film I adore) a few years later and you can really hear how personal some of these tunes are for him. And the end section of "Body and Soul" is note for note across the whole band exactly the way its played in the film. Also a live version of "Tanya"! (though of course nothing can better the version on One Flight Up).

Thanks for sharing your impressions on those two! Guess I can live on happily without that Turner. I have the two "Fly, Fly, Fly" discs and a couple of others by/with him on ECM on the piles but it's unlikely I'll search for more of his early releases. I remember reading that he had to totally re-learn playing after an accident a few years ago ... maybe that changed him into what I consider a more interesting player - though maybe that's just natural development/growth.

I'm approaching 40, but having no kids and an okay job with some flexibility, I have some budget for traveling/concerts/vacation and about two years ago I started making use of this situation more actively. And as I enjoy it so much, I have no plans to change this at this time; from Easter Sunday on, I'll be in London to catch the first half of Intakt in London, in early June I'll catch two nights of Louis Moholo (who'll play in London as well) in Novara - not yet on their website -, and in August I will likely have a combined with concerts at Lucerne festival (Sun/Tues/Sun) and in between (Wed-Sat, hop on a train to Lucerne on Sunday morning) my second year at the great Festival Météo in Mulhouse (programme is out in early May) ... so yeah, enjoying it bigtime! But if you look at my complete concert listing, you'll find that most of it is still in Zurich, where we are indeed pretty spoilt actually, but - in jazz at least - there are some musicians that never seem to play Zurich at all (to hear Henry Threadgill, I went to Amsterdam a few years ago - and that was a combined vacation/concert trip as well, that included concerts in Cologne by Craig Taborn and Sex Mob):
http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/2016/05/konzerte-jahresrankings-seit-2010.html

Actually I continue writing about most of those concerts, but usually only in German - would be too much work to do everything in two languages, and actually my writing does work differently when I switch to English (translating isn't much easier anyway) ...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 11:52:05 PM by king ubu »
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Offline Bogey

• Veteran member
  • The plural of vinyl is vinyl.
« Reply #1859 on: March 27, 2017, 03:43:23 AM »

Mostly from 1963.  I've always have enjoyed Smith's  Hammond B sound, but have very little on the shelf by the great.  I definitively need to rectify this situation sooner than later.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK