Author Topic: What Jazz are you listening to now?  (Read 224300 times)

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
Re: What Jazz are you listening to now?
« Reply #3400 on: August 03, 2018, 04:12:01 PM »

Jimmy Lunceford - Chronological: 1930-34

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #3401 on: August 04, 2018, 04:16:44 PM »

Eddie Costa - Guys And Dolls Like Vibes (1958)
John Surman - Way Back When (2005)
« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 05:03:48 PM by SimonNZ »

Offline Alek Hidell

• Currently Listening to:
    Jazz and classical
« Reply #3402 on: August 06, 2018, 04:38:36 PM »
Listened to several things today, but this was the only jazz:

"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #3403 on: August 07, 2018, 08:11:42 AM »
Finally got my hands on the Monk Riverside box! Going to listen in order - started yesterday with the Ellington album, which was not my favorite, to my surprise. He seems not to be as fond of some of these standards, although he certainly has plenty of fun reminding us what a ridiculous chorus "It Don't Mean a Thing" has, with all the doo wah doo wah doo wah doo wah doo wah.

This afternoon it's gonna be more standards: Unique with Pettiford and Blakey.

Offline Alek Hidell

Jazz and classical
« Reply #3404 on: August 07, 2018, 06:15:29 PM »
Finally got my hands on the Monk Riverside box! Going to listen in order - started yesterday with the Ellington album, which was not my favorite, to my surprise. He seems not to be as fond of some of these standards, although he certainly has plenty of fun reminding us what a ridiculous chorus "It Don't Mean a Thing" has, with all the doo wah doo wah doo wah doo wah doo wah.

This afternoon it's gonna be more standards: Unique with Pettiford and Blakey.

Ah, you're in for such a treat when going through that box. :) I agree that it starts a little uncertainly, but by the time you get to Monk's Music and the other Coltrane material, and Brilliant Corners, then the Johnny Griffin recordings ... man, that's the stuff.
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #3405 on: August 07, 2018, 06:34:27 PM »
Ah, you're in for such a treat when going through that box. :) I agree that it starts a little uncertainly, but by the time you get to Monk's Music and the other Coltrane material, and Brilliant Corners, then the Johnny Griffin recordings ... man, that's the stuff.
Monk's Music is one of two I already own and love as single issues, along with Alone in San Francisco. Those two I will probably give to a deserving friend.

Today's listen to Unique was postponed because I had a longer drive home and another recording I'd never heard before was in the car - The More I See You, with Clark Terry, Benny Carter, Oscar Peterson, and Ray Brown in their old ages on Telarc. They certainly don't sound like crusty old fossils, although I wish there was more Carter, and after tracks 1 and 2 I was worried the 87-year-old wouldn't get any solos at all, before he absolutely lit up the place on the unlikely tune "On the Trail".

Offline Alek Hidell

Jazz and classical
« Reply #3406 on: August 07, 2018, 07:30:41 PM »
Monk's Music is one of two I already own and love as single issues, along with Alone in San Francisco. Those two I will probably give to a deserving friend.

Today's listen to Unique was postponed because I had a longer drive home and another recording I'd never heard before was in the car - The More I See You, with Clark Terry, Benny Carter, Oscar Peterson, and Ray Brown in their old ages on Telarc. They certainly don't sound like crusty old fossils, although I wish there was more Carter, and after tracks 1 and 2 I was worried the 87-year-old wouldn't get any solos at all, before he absolutely lit up the place on the unlikely tune "On the Trail".

Hmm - just sampled that and it sounds very nice indeed. Just might pick it up. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

Back to Monk, other favorites from the box are the "Thelonious Monk Orchestra" pieces (especially "Little Rootie Tootie"!) and one of the relatively later recordings, 5 by Monk by 5 (where Rouse is now present, along with Thad Jones on cornet).

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #3407 on: August 08, 2018, 08:42:05 PM »

Jackie McLean and Dexter Gordon - The Source (1973)

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #3408 on: August 09, 2018, 09:34:17 AM »
Michel Legrand: Paris Jazz Piano.

There's nothing here that gives the impression of having at any time been original, but that's not the point. And right now I'm cool with the laid back vibe as it skirts the cusp of my attention.
"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Offline Alek Hidell

Jazz and classical
« Reply #3409 on: August 09, 2018, 04:40:44 PM »
Lessee ... today was:

The middle one, with its all-time classic cover (and a livelier affair than one might expect), is Bill Evans & Jim Hall, Undercurrent. But if you're a jazz listener, you probably already knew that. ;)

Offline XB-70 Valkyrie

• Veteran member
« Reply #3410 on: August 09, 2018, 04:45:37 PM »
Heart of Brazil--Fascinating, introspective music by Eddie Daniels. Heard on KCSM, where I discover most of my new jazz:

And speaking of clarinets, you must buy this one by vocalist Susanne Abbuehl--astoundingly great!!!

If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #3411 on: August 10, 2018, 07:19:35 PM »

Ron McClure - Inner Account (1993)

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
  • sic transit gloria mundi
    • ubu's notizen
    all music
« Reply #3412 on: August 11, 2018, 01:39:53 AM »
lately:

For an upcoming radio programme, played plenty of 1975 recordings ... some of them in full, like the gorgeous Basie & Zoot album on Pablo, the wonderful Muhal Richard Abrams album "Sightsong" featuring Malachi Favors (there's duos, a wonderful bass solo and a few piano solos), and what probably still is my favourite Prime Time album by Ornette Coleman, "Body Meta" (recorded not in 1975 actually, it seems, although my CD says so).

When Sony put out the big fun big Herbie box with all his albums for the label ("Flood" and "Man-Child" from 1975 were sampled, too), someone on another site said how he wished EMI/Warner did the same with the Capitol albums by Cannonball Adderley ... and man, I echo that sentiment! In the past years, a few of those albums have been reissued, either by EMI Japan or by Real Gone/Dustygroove - and that stuff is so much fun! True, as with Hancock it may in some respect, not be on the same level as the earlier output, but don't underestimate the power of big fun!

A bunch of recent archival releases ... the Martial Solal is the second (of two) album with his 1966 solo sessions, done for former Dial label founder and Charlie Parker fan Ross Russell (material for three LPs, spread on two CDs) - the first volume has plenty of Bird tunes, this second more standards - both are great! The Stan Getz is one of the most recent pair of "Live in Paris" releases on Frémeaux. Solal is on piano throughout, and Kenny Clarke on drums. The first two thirds are from a concert, with Jimmy Gourley (g) and Pierre Michelot (b), complete the line-up, everybody is in fine shape, but somehow I tend to prefer Solal's features (some trio cuts) and solos over those of the leader (whom I like very much though). The final 20+ minutes come from a radio studio session, same band minus Gourley. Sound is very acceptable indeed - and the french stage announcers makes a funny bleep when he introduces "Miss Stan Getz" on tenor saxophone. The Satchmo ... finally bought the three (by now) Dot Time Armstrong releases, and started listening to this first one, classic early All Stars, Earl Hines still on board. Good!

(The other recent Paris/Frémeaux thing is an all star thing with Kenny Clarke and others from 1958 ... it's on the way to me now, too!)

The wonderful Lithuanian label NoBusiness runs a summer sale for previous customers ... and a happy regular customer of theirs I am, with several dozen CDs (including the Moondoc/Muntu and two Howard Riley boxes) and probably around a dozen LPs by now. Their historical stuff usually is *da shit*, as dey say (John Carter, Hemphill/Kowald, Melodic Art-tet, Billy Bang, The Group, Ted Daniel ...), but they also have plenty of new stuff by as varied a bunch of musicians as Joe McPhee, Rodrigo Amado, Ran Blake, Jason Roebke, Howard Riley, The NU Band, Adam Lane, Vinnie Golia, the wonderful Bobby Bradford (a second LP with Hafez Modirzadeh has just been released, they also did two LPs by the Bradford/Gjerstad combo previously) etc. etc. Either way, two parcels arrived this week, and the first one that went into the player is their latest historical release/reissue, a trio of Bobby Naughton (vib), Wadada Leo Smith (t) and Perry Robinson (cl).

As this already sounds like a sales pitch: become a customer today, and get invited to future sales tomorrow  ;D
http://nobusinessrecords.com

Don Joseph was one of the great trumpet (cornet, actually) lyricists of the 50s ... he's on just a few recordings, Fresh Sound put together the important early ones. In addition, there's a later album (LP only so far) on Uptown, co-led with Al Cohn.

Guitarist Liberty Ellman has been with Henry Threadgill's Zooid for quite a while, and that's where I first took notice of him (and the only context I heard him live in, once). His first Pi album (the one in the middle) had been around for a while but not played often yet. It has a relatively conventional line-up with the great Mark Shim (ts), Ellman (g), Stephan Crump (b) and Eric Harland, plus guest Greg Osby (as) on a few tracks. The second features Shim and Crump, Threadgill bandmate Jose D'Avila on tuba, adding some rather unconventional and great sounds, plus Steve Lehman (as) and Gerald Cleaver (d). Excellent stuff, lyrical, funky, explorative.

Joe Venuti galore ... missed the Mosaic with Eddie Lang when it went OOP but was just able to buy it off somebody and am happy to have it, finally! Will take me a while to explore all of it (eight discs), but I just dug up the two recent Chiaroscuro reissues from Japan as well, and the second of them is spinning as I type this.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 01:46:55 AM by king ubu »
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Offline Alek Hidell

Jazz and classical
« Reply #3413 on: August 11, 2018, 04:47:33 AM »
And speaking of clarinets, you must buy this one by vocalist Susanne Abbuehl--astoundingly great!!!

Noted. I have her more recent The Gift, but haven't heard it yet. Samples of this one sound nice. Thanks, XB-70!

Quote from: king ubu
The wonderful Lithuanian label NoBusiness runs a summer sale for previous customers ... and a happy regular customer of theirs I am, with several dozen CDs (including the Moondoc/Muntu and two Howard Riley boxes) and probably around a dozen LPs by now. Their historical stuff usually is *da shit*, as dey say (John Carter, Hemphill/Kowald, Melodic Art-tet, Billy Bang, The Group, Ted Daniel ...), but they also have plenty of new stuff by as varied a bunch of musicians as Joe McPhee, Rodrigo Amado, Ran Blake, Jason Roebke, Howard Riley, The NU Band, Adam Lane, Vinnie Golia, the wonderful Bobby Bradford (a second LP with Hafez Modirzadeh has just been released, they also did two LPs by the Bradford/Gjerstad combo previously) etc. etc. Either way, two parcels arrived this week, and the first one that went into the player is their latest historical release/reissue, a trio of Bobby Naughton (vib), Wadada Leo Smith (t) and Perry Robinson (cl).

As this already sounds like a sales pitch: become a customer today, and get invited to future sales tomorrow  ;D
http://nobusinessrecords.com

As always, king ubu, I'm impressed by the depth and breadth of your knowledge (not to mention your collection!). I've noted these comments of yours in particular because I have my eye on several NoBusiness releases but haven't yet taken the plunge. Guess I need to. :)

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #3414 on: August 11, 2018, 01:48:53 PM »

For an upcoming radio programme,

Do you host a regular jazz show, KU?

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #3415 on: August 11, 2018, 04:57:51 PM »

Harry Edison - Gee Baby, Ain't I Good To You (1958)
^ with lovely contributions from Ben Webster

Lionel Hampton - '58 (1958)

Joachim Badenhorst / Guillermo Celano / Marcos Baggiani - Lili & Marleen (2018)
Baloni - Belleke (2014)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 07:09:36 PM by SimonNZ »

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
    • ubu's notizen
    all music
« Reply #3416 on: August 12, 2018, 02:35:35 AM »
Do you host a regular jazz show, KU?

I run a series of things on a tiny online community radio ... used to to a monthly programme on a local alternative radio, both with probably about a dozen people joining in to listen. But the fun is compiling the stuff, writing and then recording the announcements (it's all pre-produced and then sent in to those running the studio - on that local FM radio I loved to do it live, but the friend with whom I ran it was more into spending lots of time and doing elaborate stuff, which got too much for me eventually: doing interviews, sometimes live recordings, and then cutting stuff together, weaving in tracks from commercial releases etc., adding background sound to voices etc. - all that can be done on your computer rather easily, but it eats up a lot of time).

There's a list with links to playlists here (but no streaming/replay available for legal reasons):
https://www.radiostonefm.de/naechste-sendungen/4254-ggj-uebersicht

The show usually runs at 10 p.m. centralyuropeentime, which would make it morning in your part of the world, I think ... and of course it's in German.

---

Thread duty:

More 1958-60 European Getz ... the middle one has the most elaborate arrangements (sidemen include Benny Bailey, Ake Persson, Lars Gullin and Bengt Hallberg) but some of it is rather drap Euro-versions of Birth of the Cool/West Coast, without Bailey and Getz it wouldn't be all that interesting I think ... Getz is in terrific shape on "At Large" (the Storyville set pictured is prob. a shady PD reissue, but it's in excellent sound and has, I think, all the music ... we get Jan Johansson on piano, who's on the 1958-60 set as well, he's alright, but Hallberg is definitely the more interesting player ... the Paris set has the finest band: Martial Solal (p), Jimmy Gourley (g), Pierre Michelot (b) and Kenny Clarke (d). The first nine cuts are from a concert, Getz alas isn't recorded very well (too low in the mix), but Solal is on fire and gets three features (trio, no guitar). In the third of them, Klook (on brushes) and the guys swing so hard that Getz eventually joins in to blow a solo (again half off-mic it seems), and they carry over that swing into the closing "Yardbird Suite". The final three tracks, about 21 minutes of the generously filled CD, originate from a studio session without the guitar of Gourley (who's a nice enough soloist for sure), and with Getz' sound finally captured well.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
    • ubu's notizen
    all music
« Reply #3417 on: August 12, 2018, 02:48:00 AM »
Noted. I have her more recent The Gift, but haven't heard it yet. Samples of this one sound nice. Thanks, XB-70!

As always, king ubu, I'm impressed by the depth and breadth of your knowledge (not to mention your collection!). I've noted these comments of yours in particular because I have my eye on several NoBusiness releases but haven't yet taken the plunge. Guess I need to. :)

I kinda stopped following Abbuehl shortly after "April", her debut that mightily impressed me. Claudio Puntin was on clarinet back then, I think ... I saw her group live in that original line-up, and again a few years later, with Michel Portal guesting on clarinet (and I think bandoneon as well). It was all a bit too low-profile to really work in the rather large spaces, both where festival gigs ... but her voice is wonderful indeed, and her way with poetry certainly quite original.

The lastest I've bought, only a few months ago, after missing out on her more recent ECM album(s? - my list says I only have "April", but I think I bought "Compass" later on, too), is "Princess" with Stephan Oliva (whose playing I really admire!) and Oyvind Hegg-Lunde (Vision Fugitive, 2017) - but I need yet to play it with real attention ... (same goes for Oliva/Raulin's most recent, "Correspondances" (Abalone, 2016).

EDIT: Adding a link to "Princess" - again some really interesting stuff there (Giuffre tunes w/Abbuehl lyrics and the like):
https://www.discogs.com/Stephan-Oliva-Susanne-Abbuehl-%C3%98yvind-Hegg-Lunde-Princess/release/10065009

--

Regarding NoBusiness, they're really doing lots of good stuff, its worth checking out their catalogue!  :)
« Last Edit: August 12, 2018, 03:00:03 AM by king ubu »
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
    • ubu's notizen
    all music
« Reply #3418 on: August 12, 2018, 04:00:29 AM »

Ron McClure - Inner Account (1993)

Your post reminded me that I had picked this up a while ago (uhm, possibly in 2013 ... can't find a mail that's really proof though) ... giving it its very first spin and enjoying Rich Perry's playing a lot - he was likely the main reason for buying it back then. Less big on Vic Juris and his slippery guitar tone, sometimes almost sounding like a guitar synth (the opening track is kind of a shock to my ears, but it gets better from there).
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Offline XB-70 Valkyrie

• Veteran member
« Reply #3419 on: August 12, 2018, 06:43:47 PM »
As for Abbuehl, Compass is her best album overall IMO, but The Gift has some really interesting and beautiful works as well. April is probably the weakest of the three, although it contains my all-time favorite vocal rendition of 'Round Midnight. I actually do not have Princess--thanks for reminding me of this.
If you really dislike Bach you keep quiet about it! - Andras Schiff

Don't Like These Ads? Become a GMG Subscriber!
For as little as 14 cents per day, subscribers get no advertising on the forum, a larger Inbox for your PM's, and a warm glow of knowing you are supporting the forum. All this and a groovy Subscriber badge too!
Click here to read more.