Author Topic: What Jazz are you listening to now?  (Read 235705 times)

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
Re: What Jazz are you listening to now?
« Reply #3480 on: September 12, 2018, 06:30:22 PM »
Really? I didn't even knew he sang.

I don't own anything by him. I know he was extremely talented but I guess I've always expected his music to be full of show-offy drum solos and such - Buddy Rich and his faceless supporting cast. And I associate him with a kind of big-band sound, which is not a favorite with me. Should I reconsider?

I don't have much Rich, but he sticks out badly - very badly - on the classic album Bird and Diz, where Charlie Parker and Dizzy trade brilliant solos, Thelonious Monk steals every track with his pitch perfect eccentricity, and Buddy butts in with the squarest one-two drumming. Actually I have a drum battle album, Rich vs Roach, but haven't heard it in over a year.

Offline Alek Hidell

• Currently Listening to:
    Jazz and classical
« Reply #3481 on: September 12, 2018, 06:34:27 PM »
Thanks, Simon and Brian!
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #3482 on: September 12, 2018, 07:23:17 PM »
Perhaps the trio album with Art Tatum and Lionel Hampton might be the best place to start, Alek.

He can't be accused of being showy on this, taking a back seat and enjoying just being in the company of Tatum and Hampton and offering only the background to round out the sound

playing now:

Buddy Rich - Sings Johnny Mercer (1956)

Nice, but I prefered the other one. He's also got some stiff competetion for this repertoire and suffers by comparison.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2018, 09:20:48 PM by SimonNZ »

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
  • sic transit gloria mundi
    • ubu's notizen
    all music
« Reply #3483 on: September 13, 2018, 12:04:24 AM »
I don't have much Rich, but he sticks out badly - very badly - on the classic album Bird and Diz, where Charlie Parker and Dizzy trade brilliant solos, Thelonious Monk steals every track with his pitch perfect eccentricity, and Buddy butts in with the squarest one-two drumming. Actually I have a drum battle album, Rich vs Roach, but haven't heard it in over a year.

Hm, I know that line of thinking of course, and I'm far from saying that Rich was the best choice there - but it's really not half as bad, I've come to realize with the years.

Rich the singer I don't really know all that well, but Rich the drummer and bandleader was a mighty force, and not nearly as un-musical as some would have you think. Some of the small group albums he made for Verve etc. in the 50s and early 60s are wonderful indeed (i.e. "Buddy and Sweets" with Harry "Sweets" Edison), he led a fine big band in the forties (I've got a pair of discs on Hep and also have his excellent Mercury studio recordings), and the string of Pacific Jazz albums he made in the late sixties and into the seventies is mighty good. The music is "of its time" (but isn't all art? how can it be or become "timeless" without being rooted somewhere in the first place? and will the stuff that we consider "timeless" be so in 50 or 100 years still?), but it's so powerful and so much fun, can't help enjoying it! No wonder of course that much of it was recorded live.

For fans of drum battles - and make no mistake, there's plenty of music in there -, there's plenty to choose from:

The JATP "Original Drum Battle" and "Burnin' Beat" were reissued on this twofer:
https://www.discogs.com/de/Buddy-Rich-Gene-Krupa-Burnin-Beat-The-Original-Drum-Battle/release/5764726

There is also this:

Going modern, besides the well-known Art Blakey drum albums (one on Columbia, the others - five of them - on Blue Note), there's also two vols. of this:

Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

Offline Brian

• Veteran member
    • Brian's blog
« Reply #3484 on: September 13, 2018, 03:58:10 AM »
Oh, the Tatum/Hampton/Rich and Edison/Rich albums are great!

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #3485 on: September 13, 2018, 08:27:00 PM »

Art Blakey - Cu-Bop (1957)

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
    • ubu's notizen
    all music
« Reply #3486 on: September 13, 2018, 10:21:42 PM »
Oh, the Tatum/Hampton/Rich and Edison/Rich albums are great!

Forgot to add my thumps up for the Tatum/Hampton/Rich - those "Group Masterpieces" are fabulous anyway, the one with Webster for me the big highlight, but the trios with Hampton, Benny Carter ... and "regular" piano trio date, all terrific! And you get to listen to the styles of Buddy Rich (with Hampton), Louis Bellson (with Carter) and Jo Jones (the p/b/d trio, Red Callender is on bass). And add Alvin Stoller to the greats, quite underrated a drummer, I think (he's on the session with Roy Eldridge, which again has a full rhythm section with John Simmons on bass).
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
    • ubu's notizen
    all music
« Reply #3487 on: September 14, 2018, 12:07:31 AM »

In the process currently of enlarging my WhyNot collection (via the Candid CD reissue series that seems to be going the way of the Dodo just about now) - the outstanding ones there are of course the two Air (Threadgill-Hopkins-McCall) and the two Walt Dickerson albums ... then there are two by Chico Freeman (one with Von!) ... and the rest I'm just trying to take care of. Joe Bonner's "Triangle" has already arrived and is very good, and this one by Kenny Barron is the newest arrival, again pretty darn good methinks!

There are albums by Ted Curson, Donald Smith, Joe Lee Wilson and a few more (one I'll probably skip is by Sonny Fortune) ...
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #3488 on: September 14, 2018, 12:14:47 AM »
I love Walt Dickerson. Which albums?

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
    • ubu's notizen
    all music
« Reply #3489 on: September 14, 2018, 04:21:51 AM »
I love Walt Dickerson. Which albums?

"Tell Us Only of the Beautiful Things" (rec. 1975 with Wilbur Ware and Andrew Cyrille) and "1976" (from year later, with Ware or Jamaaladeen Tacuma and Edgar Bateman). Not the only ones of his one needs of course, but two mighty good ones!

Btw, also played this again recently, after reading about the death of Erich Kleinschuster - excellent:

Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Offline Alek Hidell

Jazz and classical
« Reply #3490 on: September 14, 2018, 06:06:30 PM »
Thanks again for the tips, Simon and king ubu! Mucho appreciado.

I've taken note of your Buddy Rich recs - I'm especially drawn to the Tatum albums as I don't have nearly enough by him anyway.

Need to check into Walt Dickerson, too - I think the only thing I have by him is To My Queen (and I don't think I've even heard it). My ears perked up (so to speak) at the mention of Andrew Cyrille's name (Wilbur Ware's, too). And I see they worked together often ... and so did Dickerson and Richard Davis. Hmmm ...
"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." - Hélder Pessoa Câmara

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
    • ubu's notizen
    all music
« Reply #3491 on: September 15, 2018, 03:20:40 AM »
Need to check into Walt Dickerson, too - I think the only thing I have by him is To My Queen (and I don't think I've even heard it). My ears perked up (so to speak) at the mention of Andrew Cyrille's name (Wilbur Ware's, too). And I see they worked together often ... and so did Dickerson and Richard Davis. Hmmm ...

Yup ... there's a bunch of early albums on Prestige (1961/62, four in total, three with Cyrille), then right after, three more from the 1963/64 sixties, including the great "Impressions of a Patch of Blue" (with none less than our man from Saturn, Sun Ra on piano! - and produced by maverick Tom Wilson) ... and then the two WhyNot albums (1975/76) are followed by a strong series of Steeplechase releases (1976-78). Not sure which of those would be my favourite, they're all good (and there's one more with Sun Ra, this time in duo). There's also one for Soul Note from 1982 with Sirone and Cyrille ... much good stuff to chose from!

--

Last night, heard the Rhoda Scott Lady Quartet in concert, season opening at Zurich's most important jazz club (which sports a really weak fall programme, alas - was the same last year, when I went there only in January for the first time). Two roughly 50 min sets, for the second, they were on fire. The line-up is Lisa Cat-Berro (as), Sophie Alour (ts), Rhoda Scott (org), Julie Saury (d). After returning home I played their second album again, released last year - most of the tunes were played live as well (with some others thrown in, including Bobby Timmons' "Moanin'" to close the first set). I've long admired Sophie Alour's playing, but somehow I still wait for an album of hers that fully displays her skills. Cat-Berro on the other hand I find a bit too polite and polished, elegant for sure, and also good in the funky pieces - but the main effect of her solos was that they led me to watch Saury and Scott and pay more attention to their dense interplay. For late night listening, the Bacharach album Scott made with manouche guitarist Patrick Saussois in 2009 (it proved his final album, he suffered a stroke that year, which ended his playing career, and died in 2012, not very old, born in 1954). Lovely stuff fersure!

Got this in the mail today ... will log off now to read the graphic novel that comes along with it:

First impression of the first disc (the quartet with the Orpheus Chamber Orchestra added, Shorter's first studio release since 2003's "Alegría") is pretty good, but I'll need more time with it ... now into the first of the two other discs, documenting a 2016 concert by the quartet.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #3492 on: September 15, 2018, 02:24:07 PM »

Art Blakey - Drum Suite (1957)
Art Blakey - Selections From Lerner And Loewe (1957)

something of a contrast
« Last Edit: September 16, 2018, 03:56:30 AM by SimonNZ »

Offline king ubu

• Veteran member
    • ubu's notizen
    all music
« Reply #3493 on: September 17, 2018, 01:05:24 AM »
something of a contrast

Certainly so ... but that period of "second edition Messengers" is quite underrated in my opinion!

The expanded edition of "Drum Suite" added an (aborted?) short session of the Chicago edition of the messengers, with Wilbur Ware and Ira Sullivan (on tenor, Donald Byrd was still on trumpet at that time) ... and the Lerner/Loewe album with Griffin is better than we'd have hoped for, right? But the true highlights may be "A Night in Tunisia" (VIK originally, reissued best in the Bluebird First Edition digipack series, I think) with both McLean and Griffin ... and then there's the Messenger/Monk album, again with Griffin. There is plenty more to pick from, and granted the new band with Morgan, Golson, Timmons and Merritt was a big step, but the intermediary period (the first "big" period is the original messengers one of course, three albums on BN and one - with Byrd in for KD - on Columbia, all of them wonderful ... and just before that, there's the great Birdland recording with Brownie/Donaldson/Silver, which has a bit of a Messengers vibe already, too) has a lot lot offer!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #3494 on: September 17, 2018, 02:09:56 AM »
Oh I agree: much underrated. Cu-Bop and especially Drum Suite are really good and that Lerner/Loewe album is as you say better than one would expect - largely because they abandon the title tunes pretty quickly to go into extended group workouts. Don't think I've heard Hard Bop yet or the original Night In Tunisia, but will in the next couple of days.

and now:

Art Blakey - Hard Drive (1957)

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #3495 on: September 17, 2018, 03:57:50 PM »

Rita Reys / Art Blakey - The Cool Voice Of Rita Reys (1957)
Art Blakey - hard Bop (1957)

the Rita Reys a bit of a disappointment, I'm sorry to say

Pee Wee Russell - Dixieland Chicago Style (1954)
« Last Edit: September 18, 2018, 01:42:32 AM by SimonNZ »

Offline Alek Hidell

Jazz and classical
« Reply #3496 on: September 20, 2018, 04:34:44 PM »
This was my only jazz today:

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #3497 on: September 20, 2018, 05:10:25 PM »

Anita O'Day and Jimmy Giuffre - Cool Heat (1959)
Stuff Smith - Cat On A Hot Fiddle (1959)

are the notes for the words "someday he'll come along, the man I love" the same as the notes for the words "they're writing songs of love, but not for me"?

Dizzy Gillespie - An Electrifying Evening with the Dizzy Gillespie Quintet (1961)
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 05:58:04 PM by SimonNZ »

Offline NikF

• Veteran member
« Reply #3498 on: September 21, 2018, 10:06:31 AM »
Grant Green - Standards.

"You overestimate my power of attraction," he told her. "No, I don't," she replied sharply, "and neither do you".

Offline SimonNZ

• Veteran member
« Reply #3499 on: September 21, 2018, 03:21:28 PM »

Michael Galasso - Scenes (1983)
Chick Corea and Gary Burton - Lyric Suite For Sextet (1983)

Paul Motian - It Should Have Happened A Long Time Ago (1985)
Dino Saluzzi - Mojotoro (1992)

L.Shankar - Song For Everyone (1985)
Wadada Leo Smith - Kulture Jazz (1993)

Krakatau - Volition (1992)
Masqualero - Bande À Part (1986)

Azimuth - s/t (1977)
Susanne Abbuehl - April (2001)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2018, 01:59:03 AM by SimonNZ »