Author Topic: György Ligeti (1923-2006)  (Read 75192 times)

snyprrr

Re: György Ligeti (1923-2006)
« Reply #440 on: September 29, 2017, 05:44:44 AM »
The PC is great, dont care much for the VC - the folkish tune kind of grates on me.

The Hamburg Concerto is worthy of mention, from about the same late period in his life.  But its hard to surpass the Double Concerto and Cello Concerto.

As far as 'final word' in concertos, Ferneyhough's cycle of chamber concertos - Terrain, La Chute d'Icare, Les Froissements d'Ailes de Gabriel, Algebrah are up there

Carter's late works as well - Dialogs for Piano & Orch.. the Violin Concerto, Cello Concerto, Horn Concerto and Flute Concerto are all great pieces

Ah, yes, very good!

I agree that folksy tune in the VC put me back for a moment.

Ah, I see, yes, Ferney and Carter, very incisive there ;), thx!!!

Ligeti knows how to get it on  ;)

Yea,
Ligeti knows how to get it on  ;)

I just can't deny it! I wish he and Xenakis had... well,... eh,... naw, they're fine as they are. I just think based on these Concertos, he was still zoomin', whereas IX seemed to be weakening slightly with the "old heimies" disease.

Ligeti's "up and down" escalator schtick DOES sound a bit like the IX technique, but they do seem to have different ways of expressing the same basic Universal Theorem (do anything at any time, and it will fit).

snyprrr

Ligeti's Lounge
« Reply #441 on: February 17, 2018, 07:18:21 AM »
Where oh where can I get the whole Ligeti Project for less than a billion $$$??? That would be both Boxes... the Chamber Music one is m.i.a., or, abillion $$$...

Ligeti should be taken in large doses...

snyprrr

Re: Ligeti's Lounge
« Reply #442 on: February 19, 2018, 11:14:06 AM »
Where oh where can I get the whole Ligeti Project for less than a billion $$$??? That would be both Boxes... the Chamber Music one is m.i.a., or, abillion $$$...

Ligeti should be taken in large doses...

After much listening and angst,I realized I'm happy with the Ligeti I have. The pieces I was missing were the Requiem, 'Apparitions', and 'San Fransisco Polyphony', all appearing on that Eotvos disc... but I would rather prefer studio sound, and Teldec bla bla, and so on, and now I don't care!

Too much Ligeti seems to me now too much.

Nusica Ricercarata... wtf was this???? Just heard it for the first time and just haaaated it!! Sounded like a caveman playing Ustvolskaya??? Or Bartok played by a single finger??Unbelievable... what do YOU think?

ComposerOfAvantGarde

Re: Ligeti's Lounge
« Reply #443 on: February 25, 2018, 09:51:49 PM »
After much listening and angst,I realized I'm happy with the Ligeti I have. The pieces I was missing were the Requiem, 'Apparitions', and 'San Fransisco Polyphony', all appearing on that Eotvos disc... but I would rather prefer studio sound, and Teldec bla bla, and so on, and now I don't care!

Too much Ligeti seems to me now too much.

Nusica Ricercarata... wtf was this???? Just heard it for the first time and just haaaated it!! Sounded like a caveman playing Ustvolskaya??? Or Bartok played by a single finger??Unbelievable... what do YOU think?
Musica Ricercata is really just a series of pieces where post-War Ligeti rediscovers and reconsiders ideas about creating a harmonic language. A lot of the pieces are not super sophisticated, but until you take a step back and really understand what it would mean for a composer to write a series of works like this in the context they were written in they really can just come across as simple, fun ditties and nothing more. In any case, each piece is a wonderful miniature in its own right and each one has a very concentrated and in depth look at certain tools and techniques of composition.

Offline aleazk

• My stuff
« Reply #444 on: May 28, 2018, 02:08:27 PM »
Today is Ligeti's 95th birthday... if he were still alive, of course.

ComposerOfAvantGarde

« Reply #445 on: June 12, 2018, 06:44:02 PM »
Here is a really fantastic interview about Ligeti's Etudes:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/nKASgWj5wUE" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/nKASgWj5wUE</a>

Offline SymphonicAddict

• Veteran member
« Reply #446 on: September 26, 2018, 10:28:19 AM »
About modern/contemporary composers, Ligeti has risen like one of special interest for me. His music evokes bizarre atmospheres by using mesmerizing effects, and some of them somewhat frightening. I think he was a genius. I was listening to some of his concertos: the Concert Romanesc, which is quintessential Rumanian, really very folksy, and the Cello concerto, a work so different from the former, with intriguing fragments. It would be especially interesting to hear this music at night and being alone  >:D

Don't Like These Ads? Become a GMG Subscriber!
For as little as 14 cents per day, subscribers get no advertising on the forum, a larger Inbox for your PM's, and a warm glow of knowing you are supporting the forum. All this and a groovy Subscriber badge too!
Click here to read more.