Author Topic: What are you playing?  (Read 104235 times)

Offline orbital

• Veteran member
Re: What are you playing?
« Reply #60 on: June 07, 2007, 12:15:13 PM »
That was a great rendition. A lot of fuzz though, but it sounds like it's being recorded from the audience (did you record it?) He plays the end incredibly accurately (the 5/4 part), which to me seems to be the biggest difficulty with this piece. His trill at the end was enchanting too!
I wish (it was me recording). This recital opens with the Italian Concerto, then Tempest, then the whole 10 preludes of op 23 and this!

Steve

« Reply #61 on: June 10, 2007, 07:41:49 PM »
Saint-Seans, Violin Concerto No.3  ;D

Greta

« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2007, 05:07:30 AM »
Is this the thread where we can post snippets of us playing? :)

I picked up my horn last night after more than 2 years away, and had so much fun I practiced for many hours!

I ran across this piece I always liked by Eugene Bozza and on a whim recorded myself. (Yay for technology!)

It's supposed to have piano, which fills it out a lot more, but maybe I will upload it anyway.

Offline rappy

« Reply #63 on: July 30, 2007, 05:27:53 AM »
I'm currently playing:

on the piano: Chopin Etudes Op. 10/4, Op. 25/9 and Op. 25/12, Bach WTK2 Prelude+Fugue in G
on the violin: Viotti VC no. 12 Bb major (first movement) and the 2nd of "Six Solos" by H. Leonard and some Kreutzer Etudes

Offline aquablob

« Reply #64 on: July 30, 2007, 05:59:16 AM »
Is this the thread where we can post snippets of us playing? :)

I picked up my horn last night after more than 2 years away, and had so much fun I practiced for many hours!

I ran across this piece I always liked by Eugene Bozza and on a whim recorded myself. (Yay for technology!)

It's supposed to have piano, which fills it out a lot more, but maybe I will upload it anyway.

http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,837.msg18741.html#msg18741

Saul

« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2007, 05:23:53 PM »
I'm playing my Waltz In A minor.
This is a recording of me perfroming it:

http://www.acidplanet.com/artist.asp?PID=993427&t=3252

Saul

« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2007, 05:04:52 PM »
I thought the nocturne was fine.
Here is a video of Horowitz playing it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AeulP4yYm5g

His triols are more refined and longer and  the overall tempi is not so rubato.

Regards,

Saul

m_gigena

« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2007, 06:43:21 PM »
During the last weekend I got sick of Czerny so I used my time two learn two short pieces: an F major mazurca by Chopin, and the delicious Canzonetta del Salvatore Rosa.

I'm supposed to play 2 two hands in any piano four-hand work, so I'm considering Schubert's f minor fantasy or an arrangement from the Trout quintet. What do you guys suggest?

Offline aquablob

« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2007, 07:40:52 PM »
I've nowhere near actually "learnt" either of these, but I've recently been playing through Chopin's Barcarolle and Beethoven's Op. 111 piano sonata quite a bit. And I've been keeping Beethoven's Op. 54 sonata under my fingers, even though my recital was months ago -- 'tis always a shame to "lose" a piece without a replacement, as I've done so often in the past! Plus I find that the longer I keep a piece in my fingers (and the more often I play through it thoughtfully), the deeper my understanding of the music becomes.

Offline Norbeone

« Reply #69 on: August 26, 2007, 08:42:00 AM »
For my next university assessment (piano), i'm working on a twenty minute repetoire consisting of:

- Bach - Contrapunctus XIV from Art of the Fugue (unfinished fugue of three subjects)
- Alfredo Casella - Two Ricercari based on the B-A-C-H motif.

I'm also learning the first half of Bartok's 12 Bagatelles and selected pieces from his Mikrokosmos books IV and V.

Then I plan to tackle Schoenberg's Suite for Piano op.25. That'll be pretty F'ing difficult i'm predicting.

Offline orbital

• Veteran member
« Reply #70 on: October 24, 2007, 11:28:11 AM »
I think I will learn Brahms' Chaconne transcription for left hand (played with both hands of course >:D )

or I could go with Busoni's version if I had four hands  :-\

Offline Guido

• Veteran member
  • 396 CCs
« Reply #71 on: October 24, 2007, 01:57:58 PM »
Goldschmidt cello concerto - I think I'll prepare it for a concerto competition. Not exactly a virtuoso show piece, but to my mind without a doubt one of the finest cello concertos of the last century.
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

Offline toledobass

• Veteran member
« Reply #72 on: October 25, 2007, 05:16:33 PM »
I'm working on the prelude to the 2nd Bach cello suite and a sonata by Adolf Misek.

Allan

Offline mikkeljs

« Reply #73 on: October 29, 2007, 01:07:23 PM »
Schoenberg: Suite op. 25  8)
Mozart: Piano Concerto no. 21  ;)
Brahms: h minor rhapsody from op. 79  :D
Chopin: Etude no. 8 op. 10  ::)

Offline Joe_Campbell

« Reply #74 on: October 29, 2007, 10:19:15 PM »
I figured if I posted, other newbies in the school of piano might also come out of hiding:

JS Bach: Little Prelude in D Minor BWV 926
-more one-hand-at-a-time memorization
-this music is predictable, so it's easy to memorize
-quasi-cadenza is tricky

girl playing it as well as me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSQewgj0UoM

Andre Previn: Roundup
-two sections in this one-pager make me go wtf mate? (well, two and a half)
-playing one hand over top another is painfully awkward

Cornelius Gurlitt: Study in E Minor op. 132, no. 1
-powerful B section adds to Chopin-esque A theme
-recommended tempo seems far too quick, but composer knows best, I guess (1/4 note=116-132), considering there's a near triple octave jump on the 1/4 note

Yea...that's right. Grade 6 RCM piano repertoire! I can't find the scores for obvious reasons. I'm not ashamed!

m_gigena

« Reply #75 on: December 04, 2007, 04:13:29 PM »
I think I will learn Brahms' Chaconne transcription for left hand (played with both hands of course >:D )

or I could go with Busoni's version if I had four hands  :-\

I played the Brahms Etude some time ago... I didn't find it very difficult.

Instead of Busoni's Chaconne you can try the Siloti-Busoni Chaconne, it's a lot easier.* The Siloti one I attempted to tackle yesterday, after 4 months of not playing piano... It was awful... I was awful.

So I moved on to something shorter that may allow me to retrieve some finger sensitivity, and for that I chose Godowsky's Alt Wien.

And I'm also working on Rachmaninov's Prelude op. 23 Nº 5.

I can upload the score as pdf if you want to give it a look.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2007, 04:16:30 PM by Manuel »

Offline orbital

• Veteran member
« Reply #76 on: December 05, 2007, 10:25:23 AM »
I played the Brahms Etude some time ago... I didn't find it very difficult.

Instead of Busoni's Chaconne you can try the Siloti-Busoni Chaconne, it's a lot easier.* The Siloti one I attempted to tackle yesterday, after 4 months of not playing piano... It was awful... I was awful.

So I moved on to something shorter that may allow me to retrieve some finger sensitivity, and for that I chose Godowsky's Alt Wien.

And I'm also working on Rachmaninov's Prelude op. 23 Nº 5.

I can upload the score as pdf if you want to give it a look.
That would be excellent. Siloti's other Bach reduction (that of the e-minor WTC prelude) was very manageable -except in some places where I had to break the chords-, so it may be worth a look :)

I learned the c# minor mazurka op63/3 recently. It looks easy enough but it certainly is not  >:( Especially those echoing voices near the end.

m_gigena

« Reply #77 on: December 05, 2007, 12:55:10 PM »
That would be excellent. Siloti's other Bach reduction (that of the e-minor WTC prelude) was very manageable -except in some places where I had to break the chords-, so it may be worth a look :)

I learned the c# minor mazurka op63/3 recently. It looks easy enough but it certainly is not  >:( Especially those echoing voices near the end.

Here's the Chaconne: http://rapidshare.com/files/74542782/Siloti.Busoni.Bach.pdf

And here are eight other transcriptions, from works by Gluck, Rachmaninov, Ravel, Bach, Scriabin and Strauss.

http://rapidshare.com/files/74542098/siloti.zip.html

Offline Maciek

• Ban them all!
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #78 on: December 05, 2007, 02:04:33 PM »
I had completely forgotten how much fun Little Preludes are - thanks for reminding me, Joe! 8) I'll definitely get them out tomorrow. Sadly, with the amount of time I dedicate to playing nowadays (and hour every two weeks.........? at best!) they might turn out to be the pinnacle of my current abilities... ;D

And thanks for the Siloti transcriptions, Manuel! 8) I'm downloading them right now, always wanted to see how they look!

Offline orbital

• Veteran member
« Reply #79 on: December 07, 2007, 08:16:22 AM »
Here's the Chaconne: http://rapidshare.com/files/74542782/Siloti.Busoni.Bach.pdf

And here are eight other transcriptions, from works by Gluck, Rachmaninov, Ravel, Bach, Scriabin and Strauss.

http://rapidshare.com/files/74542098/siloti.zip.html
Manuel thank you so very much. This is a bit above my reading abilities, but I think I can work it out bar by bar  :)