Author Topic: 21st Century compositions for piano and orchestra.  (Read 4231 times)

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • jessop's SoundCloud
21st Century compositions for piano and orchestra.
« on: October 13, 2015, 12:48:52 AM »
They seem hard to come by.

What are some?

Enlighten me! (in other words, just tell me what I want to know that I'm too lazy to look up for myself).  :P

Offline some guy

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Music
Re: 21st Century compositions for piano and orchestra.
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 01:16:38 AM »
The century's only 15, COAG, give it some time. ;D

But perhaps more apt is that pieces for piano and orchestra aren't the kind of thing folks are doing any more, much. That's a possibility, too. With its corollary, that the people who are doing them are likelier than not to be doing fairly traditional stuff. Nothing necessary about it; just a likelihood.

Here's something to tide you over until other members get going with recommendations:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jo-QV2jiSUc

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • jessop's SoundCloud
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 01:31:55 AM »
That electroacoustic piano piece is awesome, I'm enjoying it at the moment! :)

But what you say about works for piano and orchestra being not 'the kind of thing folks are doing any more' seems to strike me as a rather odd thing to say, as odd as the 'belief' that some people seem to have that Shostakovich was the last great symphonist and the symphony is dead.

With the YouTube link you showed me a piano work like none I have heard before, and I don't think it would really be so difficult to imagine that somewhere there would be piano concertos (like Furrer's for example) and other works for piano and orchestra which follow the idiosyncrasies of any contemporary composer, 'traditional' (as you say) or not.

Or...perhaps the time has come for piano concertos to die and all I'm doing is wishing for what is essentially an anachronism. :laugh:

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
  • Set design for Le Tricorne (Pablo Picasso)
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 01:40:48 AM »
May I suggest this? Peter Eötvös's CAP-KO (2006).

CAP-KO is an acronym for "Concerto for Acoustic Piano, Keyboard, and Orchestra"

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/IKMaL-Y6PQU" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/IKMaL-Y6PQU</a>
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/jXVPy04D5Nw" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/jXVPy04D5Nw</a>
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/HzhqzY-qt-k" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/HzhqzY-qt-k</a>

More information here.
Ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
« Là, tout n'est qu'ordre et beauté,
   Luxe, calme et volupté ».

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 03:13:09 AM »
Hardly any contemporary composers get orchestra commissions—orchestras have no money and the corporate boards that run them are convinced audiences won't respond to anything harder than Britten. So you won't find a lot, except from people who are already famous. (e.g. Elliott Carter wrote quite a few piano-and-orchestra pieces in the 21st century, although stylistically they sit with the rest of his music around 1950; Georg Friedrich Haas has a nice piece for three pianos tuned in sixth-tones and orchestra, limited approximations; I suppose there's Adès if you like that kind of thing; also Hans Abrahamsen, Poul Ruders (no. 2?), Unsuk Chin & a few others. I'm not sure how many of these are strictly 21st century. I know Finnissy's concertos aren't, or any of the Spanish crew's (de Pablo & Halffter, both quite good))

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 05:40:40 AM »
Hardly any contemporary composers get orchestra commissions—orchestras have no money and the corporate boards that run them are convinced audiences won't respond to anything harder than Britten. So you won't find a lot, except from people who are already famous. (e.g. Elliott Carter wrote quite a few piano-and-orchestra pieces in the 21st century, although stylistically they sit with the rest of his music around 1950; Georg Friedrich Haas has a nice piece for three pianos tuned in sixth-tones and orchestra, limited approximations; I suppose there's Adès if you like that kind of thing; also Hans Abrahamsen, Poul Ruders (no. 2?), Unsuk Chin & a few others. I'm not sure how many of these are strictly 21st century. I know Finnissy's concertos aren't, or any of the Spanish crew's (de Pablo & Halffter, both quite good))
Concerning Cristóbal Hallfter, AFAIK he has written nothing specifically for piano and orchestra since his Concerto from 1987-88. I'm not that much of a fan of Luis de Pablo (and hence much less familiar with his output), but his only post-2000 work for something resembling the "piano + orchestra" combination I have seen listed is Con alcune licenze for piano and not one but two ensembles (I don't know the piece).

Elliott Carter, as you rightly point out, amw, wrote a string of "pocket piano concertos" (for lack of a better term) in the 21st century: AFAIK, Conversations, Dialogues, Dialogues II, Interventions, and Two Controversies and a Conversation). Interventions (which I saw live in Berlin in--IIRC--2008 with Barenboim and Boulez) sounded very typical of Carter's Spätstil, and was IMHO a far cry from the composer's 1950s style (or his Piano concerto from the mid 1960s).
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 05:43:15 AM by ritter »
Ritter

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Ralph Vaughan Williams (1872 - 1958)
    The lark ascending into the horizon
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 06:09:39 AM »
Don't forget about Beat Furrer's Piano Concerto:

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/-Au5UMjsEnE" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/-Au5UMjsEnE</a>
"In the next world, I shan't be doing music, with all the striving and disappointments. I shall be being it.” - Ralph Vaughan Williams

Offline amw

• Veteran member
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 06:19:43 AM »
I know, that's why I said they aren't 21st century ;)

I'm not sure why but in spite of the amount of music Carter wrote it feels like he was a fairly slow developer. Like there's very little 'change' between the late 50s (String Quartet No. 2, etc) and the mid 80s (Penthode, etc). The 'late style' that he started around 1990ish does mark a new phase, but one that doesn't sound particularly 'new' if that makes sense? Like Dialogues (his finest piano+orchestra work imo) sounds like it could've been written four or five years after the Piano Concerto, instead of 35ish. Idk. It's late and I'm rambling.

Oh and there's Rebecca Saunders's miniata for piano, accordion, orchestra and voices, and Wolfgang Mitterer's Concerto for piano, electronics and orchestra, both of which are superb. And Rolf Riehm's Wer sind diese Kinder which is... unusual, but, Rolf Riehm. Not up to the level of Die Tränen des Gletschers as far as I recall, but I imagine it should repay listening.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 06:23:25 AM by amw »

Offline Maestro267

• Veteran member
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 06:20:45 AM »
Krzysztof Penderecki's Piano Concerto ("Resurrection") was written in 2002 (rev. 2007), and it's a fine work imho. The chorale which inspired the concerto's subtitle was written in the aftermath of 9/11.

Offline ritter

• Veteran member
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 06:33:38 AM »
I know, that's why I said they aren't 21st century ;)

I'm not sure why but in spite of the amount of music Carter wrote it feels like he was a fairly slow developer. Like there's very little 'change' between the late 50s (String Quartet No. 2, etc) and the mid 80s (Penthode, etc). The 'late style' that he started around 1990ish does mark a new phase, but one that doesn't sound particularly 'new' if that makes sense? Like Dialogues (his finest piano+orchestra work imo) sounds like it could've been written four or five years after the Piano Concerto, instead of 35ish. Idk. It's late and I'm rambling.

Oh and there's Rebecca Saunders's miniata for piano, accordion, orchestra and voices, and Wolfgang Mitterer's Concerto for piano, electronics and orchestra, both of which are superb.
Re the Spaniards, you're right, and I misread: I thought somehow you weren't sure whether they were 21st century or not. Apologies!  :-[

As for Carter, I must relisten to the Piano concerto--haven't done so in ages--, but do think there is a lightness of touch, a playfullness, that starts to appear in the mid 1980's (yep, Penthode can be seen as a milestone, and so can the Oboe concerto IMHO) and that is absent from the Piano concerto (a much sterner piece, and one that still sounds "post-WWII"--if that means anything at all).

Well, you've given me a cue for some "programatic listening" :D. Carter's PC followd by Dialogues: what do they have in common, what sets them apart?  ;)

Have a good night's rest! (it's mid-afternnon here in Spain)..
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 06:41:50 AM by ritter »
Ritter

Offline ChamberNut

• Veteran member
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2015, 06:45:56 AM »
Krzysztof Penderecki's Piano Concerto ("Resurrection") was written in 2002 (rev. 2007), and it's a fine work imho. The chorale which inspired the concerto's subtitle was written in the aftermath of 9/11.

Hmm, I'll have to explore this one.  I love Penderecki's music.

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • jessop's SoundCloud
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2015, 04:07:57 PM »
Thanks for these! I am a big fan of Elliott Carter (I'm currently playing a piece of his actually) but I haven't really explored much of his 21st century music beyond chamber and solo works. I'll definitely get to those soon. ;)

Offline (poco) Sforzando

• Veteran member
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2015, 04:34:53 PM »
Thanks for these! I am a big fan of Elliott Carter (I'm currently playing a piece of his actually) but I haven't really explored much of his 21st century music beyond chamber and solo works. I'll definitely get to those soon. ;)

What are you playing of Carter's? That's very challenging stuff.
"I don't know what sforzando means, though it clearly means something."

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • jessop's SoundCloud
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2015, 04:37:50 PM »
What are you playing of Carter's? That's very challenging stuff.

Shard. Starobin has yet to be surpassed in interpretation (but I'm trying!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u77S1_oaBGI

Offline (poco) Sforzando

• Veteran member
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2015, 04:45:12 PM »
Shard. Starobin has yet to be surpassed in interpretation (but I'm trying!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u77S1_oaBGI

So you're a guitarist. Given the thread, I thought you were working on the Night Fantasies or Piano Sonata or something like that.

Offline springrite

• Veteran member
    Lots of Bach, Brian, Mahler, Rubbra, Beethoven and Buddhist chants
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2015, 04:50:50 PM »
Esa-Pekka Salonen.

Not just the piano concerto, but he will be likely one of the top top composers of this century.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Offline (poco) Sforzando

• Veteran member
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2015, 04:52:19 PM »
Esa-Pekka Salonen.

Not just the piano concerto, but he will be likely one of the top top composers of this century.

My dear fellow, we've got 85 years to go.

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • jessop's SoundCloud
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2015, 04:55:18 PM »
So you're a guitarist. Given the thread, I thought you were working on the Night Fantasies or Piano Sonata or something like that.

I like a lotta music ;)

Offline listener

• Veteran member
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2015, 09:53:11 PM »
coming up in a couple of weeks Poul RUDERS Piano Concerto 3 /Paganini Variations, a re-write of his guitar concerto, will be premiered by  Anne-Marie McDermott and the Vancouver Symphony.  Program notes are already on line at http://www.vancouversymphony.ca/concert/notes/15MWG02/
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 09:55:11 PM by listener »

Online k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
    Shostakovich, Frescobaldi, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Chopin, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2015, 11:13:09 AM »
My dear fellow, we've got 85 years to go.

(* chortle *)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK