Author Topic: 21st Century compositions for piano and orchestra.  (Read 4228 times)

Offline San Antonio

• Veteran member
Re: 21st Century compositions for piano and orchestra.
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2017, 12:23:37 AM »
Despite the dismissive comments made on this thread about Elliott Carter's 21st century works for piano and orchestra, I will mention a new-ish recording of his late works which includes four for piano and orchestra featuring pianist Pierre-Laurent Aimard.

Release Date: 11th Aug 2017
Catalogue No: ODE12962

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • jessop's SoundCloud
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2017, 12:38:29 AM »
Carter's 21st century works are fantastic..........especially the piano and orchestra ones................

Online ritter

• Veteran member
  • Set design for Le Tricorne (Pablo Picasso)
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2017, 12:42:30 AM »
Despite the dismissive comments made on this thread about Elliott Carter's 21st century works for piano and orchestra ....
Dismissive?  >:( By whom?  ??? Lock him or her up!!!!  :D

I got that CD San Antonio posted not too long ago, and found it brilliant. Great works by a great composer.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 01:04:39 AM by ritter »
Ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
« Là, tout n'est qu'ordre et beauté,
   Luxe, calme et volupté ».

Offline Le Moderniste

• Birthdate: Year (YYYY) - Month (MM) - Day (DD)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Stravinsky, Webern, Messiaen, Stockhausen, GRISEY
« Reply #43 on: November 21, 2017, 12:53:06 AM »
Carter's 21st century works are fantastic..........especially the piano and orchestra ones................

I completely agree 100%, I think I like them even more too!
Even though I love stuff like his Concerto For Orchestra (probably my favorite in the CFO genre) and all the quartets. Even though he isn't a favorite of mine, I think he struck something really special in his last 15 years  :)

Offline San Antonio

• Veteran member
« Reply #44 on: November 21, 2017, 01:29:17 AM »
Dismissive?  >:( By whom?

Elliott Carter wrote quite a few piano-and-orchestra pieces in the 21st century, although stylistically they sit with the rest of his music around 1950

Maybe not meant to be dismissive, but struck me that way.  Imo, Carter's style developed quite a bit from his work in the 50s.   He was very active right up to his death shortly before his 104th birthday, which is unusual.  I think it bespeaks a certain hubris to claim that he might as well have stopped writing in the 50s.

Five years ago this month Carter passed away.  It will be interesting to see what happens to his works, how often they continue to be recorded and programmed.  I have a feeling his reputation will grow.

But I don't want to derail the thread, which is not about Elliott Carter.

Online ritter

• Veteran member
  • Set design for Le Tricorne (Pablo Picasso)
« Reply #45 on: November 21, 2017, 01:48:01 AM »
Maybe not meant to be dismissive, but struck me that way.  Imo, Carter's style developed quite a bit from his work in the 50s.   He was very active right up to his death shortly before his 104th birthday, which is unusual.  I think it bespeaks a certain hubris to claim that he might as well have stopped writing in the 50s.
Just a quick postlude to that:

Elliott Carter....wrote a string of "pocket piano concertos" (for lack of a better term) in the 21st century: AFAIK, Conversations, Dialogues, Dialogues II, Interventions, and Two Controversies and a Conversation). Interventions (which I saw live in Berlin in--IIRC--2008 with Barenboim and Boulez) sounded very typical of Carter's Spätstil, and was IMHO a far cry from the composer's 1950s style (or his Piano concerto from the mid 1960s).
As for Carter, I must relisten to the Piano concerto--haven't done so in ages--, but do think there is a lightness of touch, a playfulness, that starts to appear in the mid 1980's (yep, Penthode can be seen as a milestone, and so can the Oboe concerto IMHO) and that is absent from the Piano concerto (a much sterner piece, and one that still sounds "post-WWII"--if that means anything at all).
So I'd say you and I are on the same wavelength here, San Antonio  :)

THREAD DUTY:

I think Marc-André Dalbavie's Piano Concerto from 2005 has not been mentioned so far. Some people appear to be ambivalent about this composer, but I enjoy his music very much. The piece has been recorded by Leif Ove Andsnes...

...and is available on YouTube.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 01:54:18 AM by ritter »
Ritter
-------------------------------------------------------------
« Là, tout n'est qu'ordre et beauté,
   Luxe, calme et volupté ».

Offline pjme

« Reply #46 on: November 21, 2017, 03:22:36 AM »
Dobrinka Tabakova's "Together we remember to dance" was very well received in the Dutch press. Next performance:

12 December (Tue)
Watford Colloseum
London (EN)   
UK, London, Watford Colosseum, LIVE BBC Radio 3 broadcast   UK premiere of :"Together we remember to dance"/ Dobrinka Tabakova

Concerto for two pianos, percussion and strings with Arthur & Lucas Jussen, BBC Concert Orchestra, conductor- Jaime Martin
+
Night / Fazil Say

P.

Offline jessop

• Veteran member
    • jessop's SoundCloud
« Reply #47 on: December 06, 2017, 03:24:19 PM »
Cross post from WAYLTN, just came across this fun concerto from two years ago.

Bram Van Camp (b. 1980)

Concerto (2015)
For piano & ensemble

Jan Michiels, piano
I Solisti del Vento, Etienne Siebens

So far this is coming across as a fun piece, but it wouldn't sound out of place if it were written fifty years ago. So far I thiiiink I like the piece in the previous post just a little more in terms of the approach to timbre and texture, but let's see how this one goes. I reckon Le Moderniste would enjoy this.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/oaOnMZqwuuw" target="_blank" class="new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/oaOnMZqwuuw</a>

Buying Music From Amazon?
Please consider using these links. A small percentage of every sale using these links is passed on to GMG and helps keep this forum online.
Amazon US
Amazon Canada
Amazon UK